Rideau Lakes area Walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Balleye
Participant
Participant

Rideau Lakes area Walleye

Post by Balleye »

Moving to the Smiths Falls / Perth area this spring. I have cottaged and camped Newboro Lake, Upper Rideau and boated on the Big Rideau - but in all the years next to no time spent fishing. I fish Lake Erie where the walleye have been plentiful but am hoping to find some in the Rideau Lakes region once I move.
Can anyone provide any pointers on what bodies of water I am most likely going to find walleye in? I know the area holds bass and pike - my preference is Walleye, if I can find them. Any pointers regarding lakes would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Balleye
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Rideau Lakes area Walleye

Post by Bear »

Hey Balleye , there is a local Walleye club that you might be interested in. I was one of the original members, stepped away last year but looks like i'm rejoining. The web site is pretty much done however if your on Face Book there is a presents there. There is a public board and a members only page. The open page

https://www.facebook.com/ORWLwalleye/?r ... s6CoubKeCq

Admin .... sorry if not allowed

Merrill
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Big Rideau holds very few walleye. I have seen a couple, and they were huge, but have never caught one. I don't believe there's a targetable population on Big Rideau. If anyone knows different please chime in.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Balleye
Participant
Participant

Post by Balleye »

Thanks Tooblinator and Bear for the replies. I am open to some travel if need be if there are any lakes in the region that hold walleye.

Cheers,
Balleye
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Hey Balleye,

I am in the Smiths Falls area, originally from SW Ontario so I still travel to Lake Erie a couple times each year to fish Lake Erie walleye. There are some decent walleye lakes in the area and well as certain sections of the Rideau River. I would not spend much time chasing walleye on Big Rideau as people have suggested. The St. Lawrence River and the Ottawa River at various locations have excellent walleye fishing as well.

If you go to the Ottawa Region Walleye League website and check out the calendar and go back and look up their past events it will at least give you some names of lakes they have held their walleye tournaments on.

Feel free to pm for more info.

JimW
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

Don't despair, you're also 2 hrs from the Bay Of Quinte. That should handle your big walleye fix.

With bit of a drive 30-60 min depending on where in the area you start I've fished Mississippi Lake, as well as Calabogie and upstream reservoirs from there for walleye.

Me, I get my walleye fix downtown Ottawa, Rideau River in the early evenings when the city critters come out to play. :o
Piscivore
Participant
Participant

Post by Piscivore »

Just remember that for zone 18 there is a slot size for walleye 40 to 50 cm (15.7" to 19.7"). That covers most of the area you are talking about. The Ottawa (zone 12) is pretty decent for walleye and they must be less than 40cm from march to june 15. I occasionally fish the Rideau River in Ottawa from my Kayak and bring up small walleye pretty regularly when I am targeting other species. The lower Mississippi River and it's string of Lakes has handed me some pretty decent walleye in the deeper chanels over the years. But, if I really wanted to do well on walleye without going down to Bay of Quinte, I would head to the upper Mississippi and Madawaska basin lakes. Try Kashwakamak, Canonto, White Lake (near Arnprior). I can't really give any advice for Walleye on the Rideau Lakes, Sorry! I recommend hiring RJ for a guided trip on the Mississippi Lakes or Adam on White Lake.