Fishing during outbreak?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Fishing during outbreak?

Post by scarkner »

levitch wrote:I called the City of Ottawa line today and they echoed the NCC agent's response. City parks are closed, but if you can get to the water from NCC land then you are ok. Still keep away from others however...

but that opens up a lot of water in this area.. and i cant think of a better way to stay away from everyone else than getting into my kayak and sitting in the middle of a lake or river.
Any chance you got a name or reference number so when some over-zealous bylaw officer is writing me up a ticket... I can give them a name? :-)

Thanks for calling the city, that must have been a heck of a long hold time!
xRED
Participant
Participant

Post by xRED »

im guessing Rockland boat launch is closed?
Probably following ottawa
2014 LUND 1650 XL
90 Merc 4 Stroke
Elite 9Ti w/totalscan
80# Terrova
LMS-332C bow
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

scarkner wrote:Any chance you got a name or reference number so when some over-zealous bylaw officer is writing me up a ticket... I can give them a name? :-)
Unfortunately I did not get a name.. but, any ticket given could always be contested.
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

xRED wrote:im guessing Rockland boat launch is closed?
Probably following ottawa
most launches are closed yes.

I suggest using google maps to find alternate spots to drop in...?
Chilipowder101
Participant
Participant

Post by Chilipowder101 »

proof.JPG
proof.JPG (23.96 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
Up above is a copy of a response of an email I sent questioning about fishing on NCC grounds. Hope this clears things up.
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

Ontario announced that marinas can open May 4th to servicd boats and prepare for operations but can not open to the public.
Gives me reason for optimism that getting on the water for some socially distanced fishing. Here's hoping...
Stay safe.
Howie

Global News, Fri 1 May:
..."Marinas may also begin preparations for the recreational boating season by servicing boats and other watercraft and placing boats in the water, but not open to the public. Boats and watercraft must be secured to a dock in the marina until public access is allowed."

Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canada's largest network.
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

City of Kingston opening some boat launches today while warning to follow physical distancing protocols.
Hopefully other municipalities will follow shortly.
Stay safe.
Howie
howie
Participant
Participant

Post by howie »

Premier Ford indicated there will be an announcement this Thursday regarding additional businesses that will be permitted to open. Keeping fingers crossed that it is for marinas to open (with prudent safety measures of course). Here's hopin'!

Howie
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

I got a response from the City of Ottawa Bylaw twitter account

“Hello
watercraft may only ever be launched from designated areas in City parks, and right now those designated areas are closed, so it is not permitted.
You may launch from access roads leading to the water

The last part is key.
levitch
Participant
Participant

Post by levitch »

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with the City of Ottawa ByLawSupervisor and they said that if you are not in a group of more than 5 and you are maintaining social distancing and you are not using a sports field, that fishing from shore IS allowed in City of Ottawa parks!
The person I spoke with is named Melissa. She was super nice and helpful. She said that if you are stopped by a bylaw officer to be respectful and mention that I called in and discussed it and that the Supervisor said it was OK if the above guidelines were adhered to!

Launches and docks are still closed however as of May 13th

Tight lines everyone!