Out of season bass

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Chilipowder101
Participant
Participant

Out of season bass

Post by Chilipowder101 »

Hey y'all!

The other day I went fishing for pike along the Ottawa river. To my surprise, I caught 2 smallmouth bass with a spinnerbait. Personally, I had never caught smallmouth bass out-of-season before and I knew the consequences of being caught with these fish in my hands so I unhooked them very quickly and let them go. To continue fishing without catching bass, I switched my lure.

I was just really wondering if out-of-season bass get caught often, and what lures I should avoid to use in the springtime so that it doesn't happen again?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has experiences of out-of season fish with other species?
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

Re: Out of season bass

Post by andrew1234 »

One time on the madawaska river I was out with some buddies hunting pike. It didnt mattercehat we did. What we used we only caught oos bass. We used everything and eventually just stopped fishing. I've caught more bass on spinners than pike
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Post spawn bass will sit in shallow water guarding their nest and hit just about anything that goes near them. Not to feed but for protection of their fry. About the only thing you can due to avoid catching them is not fish in the area's where they spawn...
David Chong
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by David Chong »

CCLad wrote:Post spawn bass will sit in shallow water guarding their nest and hit just about anything that goes near them. Not to feed but for protection of their fry. About the only thing you can due to avoid catching them is not fish in the area's where they spawn...
Exactly as CCLad said especially with Smallmouth Bass, they are so aggressive while protecting their nest/fry they will literally hit just about anything. Best thing to do is if you catch one move along!
Special Thanks to all my valued sponsors and my darling wife for all their support!
TheGroundTruth
Participant
Participant

Post by TheGroundTruth »

I've caught more bass than anythign else over the last 5 weeks when I'm targeting walleye. Largemouth were crushing my grubs and minnows and smallmouth were attackinh my crawlers.