Joes Lake Campsite

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Joes Lake Campsite

Post by John Zach »

Hi All

I’m thinking of planning a simple 1 night camping trip to Lanark county, and I’m thinking of the small campsite on the point on Joes lake which I’m sure some of you are familiar with. It’s just west of the boat launch. Does anyone know if it is crown land and if it is bookable, or do you just show up and hope no one else is already camping there?

Any advice is much appreciated.

John Zach
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Joes Lake Campsite

Post by smitty55 »

This will tell you if it's crown land. I don't know for sure but I don't believe its a maintained campsite by South Frontenac that you would have to book. You could check that as well online.
http://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.ca ... cale=en-US
Smitty

Straight shooter
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

If it's the campsite I'm thinking of, it is crown land (or was crown land). It is first come first served as far as I'm aware.

There is private property there as well that just sold recently. I was on the lake two weeks ago and they were doing lots of chainsawing back there and looks like they're working on building a cottage.

I have not camped at the site, but have stopped there for lunch a couple of times. If I recall correctly, I have circled the campsite area in green. The guys doing the chainsawing were in the red area.
Screenshot 2024-05-17 064437.png
Screenshot 2024-05-17 064437.png (1.93 MiB) Viewed 296 times

I'm not sure how accurate the crown land atlas is, but it doesn't look like they own the full point.
Screenshot 2024-05-17 065323.png
Screenshot 2024-05-17 065323.png (166.84 KiB) Viewed 296 times
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

I was actually just thinking of the point by the boat launch. I don’t know if it’s a proper campsite but I’ve seen people camp there before and it seems like a good enough spot, though rather close to the main road.

I’m not sure how to attach an image but if you look on the map I’m talking about the point on the north side of the lake. Maybe the one on the south side that you pointed out would be better, though. Is it accessible by car or do you need a 4-wheeler?
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Oops, my bad. You mean this point?
Screenshot 2024-05-17 170839.png
Screenshot 2024-05-17 170839.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 269 times

I'm pretty sure that's private property (the crown land atlas says it's private). I think there's a house there too.

The campsite I posted would only be accessible by watercraft.
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

No, there's no house on that one. There's a house on the next point to the west. You're right that the crown-land atlas says its private property, but there are definitely folks who camp out there sometimes and it looks like the area at the top is set up to be a campsite. Maybe they know the owner of the land and get permission.

Thanks anyways. I'll definitely check out that other campsite that is only boat-accessible this fall when I get a fishing kayak.