Towing with mini-vans

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Dartee
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dartee »

I'm using a 98 Windstar with a dealer installed Tranny cooler. Tows the 162 Princecraft with ease. Hardly even know it is there (even when its being used as an expensive utility trailer when camping).

As for the comment about the front wheel drive...Yes watch out for the steep ramps (may need someone to sit on the hood). Also watch out for wet sand ramps. :oops: :oops:
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

I use my wifes 2003 Montana to tow my Lund. Get the tranny cooler to save your waranty.

Gordo
Gord

NPAA#553
Steve-K
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steve-K »

Thanks again for all the reply's guys and ML. I've got a lot to think about now. When I bought this truck new 2.5 yrs. ago I thought that would be it for about 10yrs., but with all the problems I've had, I just don't want to make another costly mistake.
Thanks again for all the help, Steve
Weeder
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Weeder »

Bobber, Fish-Hawk and I all use mini vans to tow our boats. No problems so far, except for the tranny incident in Bobber's van a few years ago. We think that was caused by an earlier accident and not towing. Interesting thread.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

My 2 cents,

I had a voyager that I used to tow my 16ft Alum bowrider. The towing was not too bad with the 6, I fitted the tranny cooler as well. It was a windy day on the ottawa, blowing to shore, and the boat would not come off the trailer and I lost traction on the front - basically I was stuck. Fortunately for me a guy with a jeep and chains was right there and he pulled me out. So the towing is okay but front wheel drive is a problem.
Bender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bender »

I'll have to agree with Andre,
I use a 2002 Windstar to pull my 166 princecraft and as well don't even know its there.
Also comes with the entertainment system to keep the three young lads busy on long trips.
Worth considering.
tracker
Participant
Participant

Post by tracker »

I just traded my windstar 1999 for ford escape 2004 the windstar pulled my bass tracker 17. 2 with no problem but the van is lower you sometimes have the backend in the water some ramps you have problems with almost stuck on a few of them with the SUV no problems at all and to back the boat up the escape is dream miss the space in a van good luck Tracker (steve Kelly)
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Steve

I pull with a Kia Sedona. Comes standard with 3500 pounds towing capacity, transmission cooler and over sized cv joints.

A lot of companies will charge $2000 - $3000 extra fot the tow kit.

It has amazing power, so you will not hesitate to pass a car while towing. I came from a 1996 Windstar (a bad year). A world of a difference.
Caseys Dream
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Caseys Dream »

I have a Pontiac Montana, trailer package which includes beefed up cooling system, tranny cooler and load leveller. It has a towing cap of 3500 lbs. 6 cyl, 3400.
Here is the funny part, I pull a 23' cuddy cabin on a tandem trailer, boat alone dry, no gas weighs 3700lbs, add a 50 gallons gas in the 65 gallon tank, plus the tandem trailer, I am over 5000 lbs. I pull this on the 401 at 110km/hr!

3rd gear, never in OD. I cahnge tranny fluid annually with synthetic. Pulls out a ramp OK, won't do gravel at all, and has a hard time on rutted pavement on the ramp, but smooth pavement even wet is no problem.

But, she ain't no truck, hates hills, but holy cow, it is sooo overloaded that its funny.

CD
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

CD! :shock: You're an accident waiting to happen! :shock:
Caseys Dream
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Caseys Dream »

nah, I am pretty careful, the trailer has brakes. It was the question, bigger boat or bigger vehicle, took the latter.
Load leveller really does a good job keeping the van stable and the drive wheels on the road, hitch stabilizes the whole package. If you would see me on the road, you'd never guess it was so overloaded, but give me a wide berth just in case!!!

CD