Fluorocarbon lines....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Just a point but in another thread on flourocarbon lines it was stated that Vanish was flourocarbon coated, their packaging and website seem to dispute that? After seeing the results of flourocarbon leaders on Quinte and the Niagara river, I will definitely be using it as a leader for fishing this year!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Well stick to your braid then.

But I'd seriously reccomend it to anyone that wants to improve their steath approach when fishing.

Here's a pic of some Ontario waters from yesterday.

As fishhawk about his results of running braid through water like that. :wink:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Here's another pictuure of some Ontario waters that I wouldn't recomend using braid in...

Also another strong benifit, replacing the steel leaders for Musky and Pike fishing can only result in less chance of injury to the fish.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Hmmmm ...

Post by jsdx »

Cancatchbass wrote: Visibility? There are no clearer waters in Ontario, I think, than the St. Lawrence River. I've been fishing 28' of water for pike/perch for the past month and I can clearly see my Fireline-rigged 1/32nd oz. jig on the bottom. The fish obviously can see the line, too, but they don't care. We regularly use 40 lb. PP in the open water season for bass, and the fish could care less.

I think there may be applications for fluoros, but not for the fishing I do.

CCB
I'm like you man. I use 50lbPP for my baitcasters and fireline on spinning rods for jigging and it doesn't seem to matter however ...

.. this one time I was out for early season lakers, we were dragging jigs in the transition from 20-40 feet of water (works great btw in early season) and the other guy in the boat with mono line seriously outfished me and my 6 lb fireline. When I switched spools to mono (trilene xl) I started catching fish like my buddy was. I wouldn't have believed it since i thought the 6 lb fireline was much harder to see than the mono. All this tells me is that *sometimes* it matters. Could have been lots of reasons (drop speed) but we were right on the bottom when they were hitting so I chalked it up to line colour. So it wasn't flouro in this case but it was different line so I recently bought some flouro "just in case" i'm out there on a day it matters. Its also a good excuse to get more stuff (not that anyone here needs an excuse)...
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Flourocarbon vs braid

Post by Mikey »

I'd have to say that flourocarbon for me is a good compromise between braid and mono. Its definately more sensitive than mono...but I would have to say braid tajes the cake in that category, although, I would only recommend the Fireline braid for flippin or pitchin, seeing as it literally eats ceramic guides. As far as visibility goes, I'm sold on the flourocarbon, it's hard to beat in that respect, I definately prefer it over the braid. Sensitivity, the Seagaur has a tad of stretch to it, much less than mono, but enough that I can live with even when fishing a carolina or Texas rig where sensitivity is a big issue. The debate of what's the best line is very subjective, with most of the data being distributed by the manufacturers themselves...thus, there is a certiain bias...just as there is on the above opinion...it's only mine, and what I prefer...each has it's good and bad points...go with what you like best. Cancatchbass....you'll have to try a flourocarbon before you can tell if it has any advantages to offer your style of fishing....:wink:

Mikey
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hmmmm...

Post by Cancatchbass »

I've been using braids since they were first introduced- remember Fenwick's Iron Thread?

Fishing an average of 25-30 hours a week from May to November, I have yet to have any guides damaged from braids.

Guess I've been lucky.

CCB
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

CCB....I went through a 300 yard spool of the Fireline and it ruined the guides on 2 rods....all I can tell you about is what it did to my 2 rods. Maybe the brands you mention are better in that respect, dunno, haven't tried them.
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

I've heard of Fireline damaging, I believe they're called "ceramic" guides, therefore I only use a rod which has titanium guides with Fireline.

I use power pro on rods with normal guides and have had no problems.

As for Flourocarbon line I like to use it as a leader, (Seaguar), when fishing for most species although Pike have bitten right through it... bad batch or maybe 20lbs. isn't enough? Anyone else had this experience?

When fishing for trout I always use it but usually have a reel spooled with Vanish 6 to 8 lbs. No complaints and it seems to work.

Buzzer
Yankee
Participant
Participant

Post by Yankee »

Buzzer, I used 60lb FC Seaguar for a pike leader last fall and they didn't bite through it. I plan on doing the same this year. I think 20lb is a little to light for a FC pike leader.
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

I'm with u

Post by tr21chris »

Tom, I love fishing 20 lb sprectrex or power pro on my floozy rod, even on the everclear St. Lawrence. I've never had any damaged guides or any problems other than tip tangle once in a while and the odd cut finger....ouch!! Tried a few of the different flourocarbons diligently and didn't notice any increase in fish catching???, but to each his own.... :)
Buzzer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Buzzer »

Thanks Yankee

I'll now be buying some heavier stuff for this season! I like tying on my lures :)
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by squig69 »

i have only use the FC leader line since january and have tried 2 brands and seagar was the winner out of the 2. as for the visibility of the line, i usually tie up a bunch of pre-rigged lines the night before and have a hard time seeing the line to tie my knots :oops: (maybe thats why my knot skills need some work, i use the improved clinch knot and when im done with it who knows what i end up with) if i cnat see it about a foot from me, how can a fish see it. :?

chris
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Line

Post by grumpy7790 »

Its funny, a few years ago braid was all the rage and it was said that mono just had too much stretch.

Now the pro's are tell you how important stretch is to their game. Fiberglass rods with mono are back, used mostly for cranking. Others say that they will not use braid when fishing spinnerbaits. They say the lack of stretch and over sensitivity of braid makes you set the hook too early. Braid is still great around heavy cover.

I'd say use what you are most comfortable with.

G
Niagara Nick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Niagara Nick »

squig69 wrote:i have only use the FC leader line since january and have tried 2 brands and seagar was the winner out of the 2. as for the visibility of the line, i usually tie up a bunch of pre-rigged lines the night before and have a hard time seeing the line to tie my knots :oops: (maybe thats why my knot skills need some work, i use the improved clinch knot and when im done with it who knows what i end up with) if i cnat see it about a foot from me, how can a fish see it. :?

chris
Squig are you tieing those knots under water :?: :?: :?: :P :P :P
squig69
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by squig69 »

NN
when im tieing up using FC its like im all thumbs :lol: .having a bit of weld-flash from work with eyes watering makes it seem like im under water :lol:

chris