Bullheads are a biting.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Bullheads are a biting.

Post by SALMON »

:D Well it was one of those rare days off where I did something different..I slept in. :) About 1:00 I got a call from my mother in law. She had a young French exchange student billiting at her house and she wanted me to take him fishing! "Hi dear your mom wants me to take someone fishing" Honest.. :D So lnowing the carp bite was slow we went down to a catfish hole and started to get lots of them. Also got one small carp. Jerome was quite happy..but he has that Jammer smile! :lol:

skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D :D :D

Hey Salmon, .....that catfish hole looks awfully familiar somehow..... :lol:

Glad you had a good day out there. :wink:

You're right about the smile, .....looks like your mother in law talked you, ...and him into going fishing :lol:
Ladyfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Ladyfish »

:D :D Glad you guys did well. Someday you are going to have to show me this famous spot :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Wow....he looked thrilled..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Well it is only a Carp and Bullhead :!: :lol: :lol:
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Skooter

its not a cat its a brown yellow belly bullhead, lol no its not the same as a cat just not quite lol...

Notice the non v shaped tail,, its got a flat tail which makes it a bullhead :wink:
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

bullhead/catfish "hole"

Post by tr21chris »

Ease up spence, we know you are a "BULLHEAD" pro, but buddy said catfish hole, not referring to the brown bullhead proudly on display!!
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Salmon Wrote:
Jerome was quite happy..but he has that Jammer smile!

Good one Salmon :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , good to see you still do what your Mother(inlaw) tells you to do :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

TO MAKE SURE THERE IS NO FUTURE MISTAKES...PLEASE REFER IT TO A BULLHEAD HOLE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Tony
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Tony »

That reminds me of a time when my sister's friends cousin came here from Western Europe and somehow Ransome and I ended up taking him fishing in the Rideau River down by the airport. Well as usually happens there we were having a pretty slow day when we started fishing in about 2 feet of water that was a jungle of weeds, Ransome and I were tossing topwater and the guy was using my wiggle wart. I told him he was only going to catch weeds but he didn't listen or didn't understand... All of a sudden I get a big hit and have my biggest bass on to date, then I hear him say "I've got something" we look to see that he's hooked into a decent muskie!! So we've got a monster bass and muskie double header going in our now not so favourite boat :D I told Ransome to net my bass but he was more concerned about the muskie :roll: Eventually, the muskie was lost and my bass was landed! It would've made for an awsome picture and better story for the guy if he landed the fish but he seemed happy anyways. I must be tired, I've rambled longer than usual.

Salmon, I'm going to get your mother-in-law to make you take me fishing too!! :wink: :)
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: bullhead/catfish "hole"

Post by skooter »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spence Scout wrote:Skooter

its not a cat its a brown yellow belly bullhead, lol no its not the same as a cat just not quite lol...

Notice the non v shaped tail,, its got a flat tail which makes it a bullhead :wink:

tr21chris wrote:Ease up spence, we know you are a "BULLHEAD" pro, but buddy said catfish hole, not referring to the brown bullhead proudly on display!!
Thanks for coming to my defense Chris, :wink: ....indeed I was refering to the catfish "hole", .....not the "whole" fish.....

I'm sure our young friend here just wanted to share his wisdom on "Ameiurus nebulosus",
...or maybe it's "Ameiurus natalis",

You're sort of describing both species in your post, .....which one is it?.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .... :wink:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Why do people in ON insist that bullheads aren't really catfish? This seems odd to me. :?
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

well, of course they are catfish, but its like comparing a rock bass to a large mouth (or at least i think so)....

bullheads over run the bay....they are put in the same category as gobies!
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

BULLHEAD............CATFISH

Post by Jigs »

Yous get a line and I'll get a pole

HONEY

Yous get a line and I'll get a pole

BABE

etc.

Haven't read up on my whiskered pisces species lately, but I believe the catfish is considered a separate species...........larger, forked tail, etc., than the aformentioned "brown bullhead", of which there be also black and white bullhead, also known as the brown bullhead: square tail, smaller, bla bla bla...........who cares :!: :!: :?: :?:

They are easy to catch and taste great...(bullhead, both yellow bellied and black and white)...............num friggin num.

Going out soon to try and catch a bunch.......waiting for a good rain to pick some dewies.....god that hurts the back.

Yous get a ................ :roll: :roll:

:mrgreen:
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Confusion!

Post by Cancatchbass »

Markus- I think most people realize that bullheads are members of the catfish family, but confusion can arise when somebody says they were catching catfish and they were really catching bullheads- or vice versa.

Few anglers (hopefully :lol: ) would say they were catching walleye when they were catching perch, although the relationship between the two species is similar to the relationship of bullheads to channel cats.

Could be a regional thing, too like some people calling walleye pickerel, and calling bullhead mudpout, etc...

CCB
pieter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pieter »

Nice catch 8)

pieter