Walleye or Pickeral

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

I know the correct name....but which do you perfer?

Walleye
74%
Pickeral
26%

Total votes: 39

FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Saskie/Marcus :

Wow - thanks for tips. I am mostly interested in the saltwater possiblities since I can catch smallies here in Ottawa till my arms fall off. And I am not much for the trout fishing - too impatient for that I think :). I am not looking for fish to eat, just intersted in seeing what I could catch - I would be ecstatic at being able to catch the local equivilant of sunfish in the ocean. I definately will take a trip out on a boat for Mackerel and cod - I was lucky enough to go on one of these charters when I was a kid and I would like to try it out again. When I know more about where I will be going, I will resurrect the topic. One more thing before I move on - will some of these saltwater fishes strike lures, like say a bucktail jig or crankbait, or will I be better off trying to dig up some kind of creepy crawly bait ?

Fish_bowl : Yeah, Im from Northern ontario as well (Near Timmins) and you might as well be wearing a "tourist" sign around your neck if you use the 'W' word. It always cracks me up to talk to someone from furthur west and hear them talk about catching 'jackfish'.

Wolfe: Do you have the big wrap around sunglasses, Foam trucker cap, and Alabama accent to go with that. I think my parents still have that old "Catching Walleye with Babe Winkelman" VHS tape that was given to my dad at an Ohio fishing show. :)

Fox.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

The charters use a series of small 5 darts (jigs) all in-line. The dockyard workers fishing from shore at lunch seem to favour shiney silver spoons and spinners. So yes, they will hit a lure. There are saltwater shore fishing spots in Eastern Passage/Shearwater and from gov't wharfs in smaller towns like Hubbards.
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

PICKERAL!!!

Canadian way; should be in the I AM speech. I am thouroughly suprised the walleye is in the lead. Must be alot of Americans on here last night.

I was in Quebec City at the Revolving restaurant atop the Radisson. On the menu for 60 bucks; yellow pike. I inquired...Pickeral!

Walleye sounds so sissy like!

No offense to those whose handle includes the word walleye.

Cheers,

Scott
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Firefox,

Nah, no sunglasses like that (they look as though they belong on cataract surgery patients); nor the Alabama accent, thank you. Northeast girl, myself.

More likely to find me in generic shorts, T-shirt & baseball cap, yodeling to the loons. Not sure which American category that fits me into, but perhaps one that includes "pleasantly strange" would suffice. How would you classify yourself, I wonder?! :wink: :lol:

Just think of the great nicknames you lose with pickeral as your name of choice: "eyes", "wallys" ... !

W.
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Wolfe,

"Pleasntly strange" sounds fine to me. Dnot get me wrong - I have fished with and worked with a number of Americans, and I like them. We just all have little differences - which just makes it interesting.

As per how I would classify myself - hmmmm - well, Im not really sure how to answer that one. Im a small town guy who came to Ottawa to work in computers. To me Ottawa is a huge town, so I could probably be pegged with the 'small town Canadian hick' tag :)

However you want to call them, I hope that you have some luck convincing ol' marble eyes to bite your line this summer.

Fox.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

TO: Small Town Canadian Hick (FireFox)

FM: Pleasantly Strange American Girl (Wolfe)

I, too, hope I can get the crafty walleye, pickeral, or whatever the @#% name we all call him, to my boat. I'll let you know when I get back in a week or so... In the past, I've been more lucky than skillful. :roll:

PS: Ottawa is a great place; I hate cities, on average, but I love Ottawa.

W.
bass ackwards
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bass ackwards »

Don't the americans refer to them as Wall-eyed pike :roll: