Trout Fishing Hotspots

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Tip-up wrote::lol: :lol:

Your something else Dano.....

Or any fishing location on the net for that matter, not just trout. Jig Head and I learned the hard way a couple times over the years posting on FH after being a bit too kind with a more than a few Hawkers. Jig Head and I thought we were doing a great deed by taking out a couple people out in the ol' McCullock for some catching and had asked nothing in return really except we did make it clear to please, not take anyone back.

This has happened twice to me. Getting to a lake to fish that I've certainly never told anyone about with the exception of a few to see that spot is punched out, and guys poppin' hole to hole catching fish...in a area that Jig Head and I have never seen another angler in our lifetime. I was very upset. It's very simple, some are just too lazy to do the leg work to find there own spots and also have the nerve to go back shown to them, no matter what you asked them. It's no different than guiding someone, and they tag along there GPS to record data. Taking into consideration I knew the fellas and never got a call, never in a million years was I expecting to see someone back there. I was considered ''Selfish'' by some :shock:

So to you HLIS, I suggest that you follow the advise of the other people posting here. You won't get any info out of me but I will say that there is an awesome feeling when you find your own hot spot. About 5 years ago I was in your position after catching my first trout..hooked right on scene. It was very hard to find any info on message boards and I know why now.

Welcome to Fish-Hawk by the way 8)
Couldn't have said it better myself Tipup.
If you are passionate about fishing (sharing, teaching and learning) your posts/contributions to the forum will reflect that. After a while you will notice that others will take pleasure in helping you out.

Welcome to Fish-Hawk, looking forward to reading your future posts.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

fishin mission wrote:don't help anyone on this site it's a sin
,,,,,,,ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh top secret !!
is there still fish in that lake tip-up ,,answer would be yes so whatttttttttttttttttttt you shared a spot with someone woooooopiiieeeeeee
Dude why don't you give out your favourite, most productive, least populated "spot" and then watch what happens over time.

Bin 'dare....done'dat

With some experience, you'll see where everyone is coming from.

It was bad enough "back in the day", that word of mouth could ruin a spot... now with the internet... it's 10 times as bad and happens 10 times faster. I have seen it happen first hand, to more than one spot.

It's one thing to give out techniques, lures, patterns, etc. but naming a spot is just ruining it for yourself.

There have been people like you before.... and they have realized what can happen. Almontefisher (Note: I do not have a problem with Peter, and he is well aware of that, he is just a good "guinea pig" for my reasoning) has seen it first hand and has wrote about it on here. When he first joined the site, he was naming lakes, etc..... I pm'ed him and gave him the "low down".... he didn't take the advice.....continued to name lakes, and has now seen the damage first hand. I'm sure he will chime in here and fill in the blanks........ and I'm sure if you see a trout report from him in the future.... you're not getting the lake name out of him...

I have no problem sharing lake names with people I know, or "know of", but to post it online for the entire world to read is just senseless. You may not realize it now, but eventually you will.

How about this example. I have known S.M.05 for over 10 years. We all know he is a trout master (or at leaste he makes you believe so). We met while working together back in the day. We both moved on, and that was that. We later re-aquainted via F-hawk (imagine that) and have been in touch ever since. I'd consider him a buddy, more so than an aquaintance. We talk more than a few times a week, we try to get out as often as we can. We have pints now and again. I lend him things (which he breaks), he offers to lend me things (boat/motor), which I will take him up on sooner or later, etc. I guess the point I am trying to make is that we're not strangers. He goes trout fishing every weekend. I don't even dare ask him where he caught the fish. I will ask him technique, pattern, lure, structure, water temp, thermocline level, etc... But I won't ask the lake name.
Why?
#1 Cause I know trout anglers like their secrets.
#2 Cause I wouldn't expect him to tell me.
#3 Cause if he told me, I still wouldn't believe him.
#4 As a fellow angler, you learn to respect other fellow angler's secrets.
#5 etc., etc.
However, if I wanted to go, I know he would take me.

Now I'm just rambling, but I will wrap up by saying.. if you can't see the point we're all getting at here.... then do like I said.. announce your secret spot..... your honey hole... where you go to find peace and quiet and know there is an abundance of fish..... give it a year or two... and then watch your success rate go down... the garbage pile up around the place, the abundance of people fishing there, etc. etc.

Cheers.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

I only wish i knew spots that I could keep secret from you all... Sadly, I fish for bass... they are everywhere... no secrets required...

I really just wanted to post something... so I did.
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

Hookup wrote:I only wish i knew spots that I could keep secret from you all... Sadly, I fish for bass... they are everywhere... no secrets required...

I really just wanted to post something... so I did.
and no need to share lures or techniques either...as you can catch a Bass on a cigarette butt if it had a hook on it :P :lol:
Wishing I was fishing
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Jimmy from the Harley wrote:Lapointe...

:lol:
Yep....that's what Jimmy has had to resort to. :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trout Fishing Hotspots

Post by RJ »

Hook_line_n_sinker wrote:Hey Guys, I'm new to the trout fishing scene, had my first experience about a month ago in Algonquin park and pardon the pun,I got hooked. Looking for some spots around the Ottawa area. Anything within an hour-hour and a half of downtown. Anything helpful would be much appreciated.
Thanx
To those who may actually answer your question either here or by PM......do you have access to a boat? that will help their answers to you....including mine.

RJ
mblaney
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Trout Fishing Hotspots

Post by mblaney »

Hook_line_n_sinker wrote:Hey Guys, I'm new to the trout fishing scene, had my first experience about a month ago in Algonquin park and pardon the pun,I got hooked. Looking for some spots around the Ottawa area. Anything within an hour-hour and a half of downtown. Anything helpful would be much appreciated.
Thanx
I am new here also but Welcome!

I guess I am not as easily offended as some others; I don't see the problem asking for a push in the right direction :oops: . It is up to the discretion of the respondent to decide what secrets to reveal. You have to be aware that “icatchthefishes” will also be interested in any response to your question :lol: .

Maybe you could be a little more specific about what equipment you plan to use and what kind of trout you are hooked on. Lower Rideau has good Laker fishing but you need a good boat and downriggers. If you are fishing from an inner tube then that might limit your opportunities.

As mentioned, there are some good resources from MNR stocking lists, even the fishing regulations list lakes that have “additional fishing opportunities” (not that this means that the fishing is actually good). Google or searching forums will give you good results.

I bought the back roads map and the fishing map book and I am a little disappointed in them but they are still useful.

I hope your lesson in forum etiquette wasn’t too discouraging for you; this site has lots of good info and is (IMO) worth participating in :) .
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

RJ wrote:
Jimmy from the Harley wrote:Lapointe...

:lol:
Yep....that's what Jimmy has had to resort to. :lol:
Nope, friendly walleye tourney amongst couples this w/e.
Hope to post.
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

last week there was the list of lakes given. 2 of them i know very well and usually receive very little pressure. i went to check them out to see if anyone was there. there wasn't any shore line that wasnt covered on one of them. i was literally told to move on. i doubt if it was a member of FH but there are alot of non-members that read the info. i've learned a valuable lesson and i am currently looking for my NEW hotspot. mmmm, so many to choose from...........
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Know what!

This talk of "secret lakes" is BS.

Go to NY State.

Enough said!
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

RJ wrote:Guinness Dude....again... :lol:

This was your 4th post here....
GuinnessGuy wrote:HI All,

I'm hoping to go out crappie fishing on the weekend. Does anyone know if the ice is out at the Long Island Locks? Is there another good spot I can hit (25 minutes driving from downtown Ottawa, any direction)?

I checked Petrie today and that's out of the question...

Thanks
Hey RJ... I doubt anyone will ever compare a crappie spot to a trout spot. I'll admit that those were naive questions to be asking, being so new to the site. What you don't see is the PM's I've shot out to some people with spots on Baskatong for Walleye, Outfitter recommendations for the Gouin, spots to fish on Pemish, Lac La Peche, Lac Heney and Lac Ste-Marie. I'll apologize right away if this is coming off as defensive, but truth-be-told, you haven't contributed a spot/answer on this thread either. :lol:

GG
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

[quote="fatluke]
Now I'm just rambling, but I will wrap up by saying.. if you can't see the point we're all getting at here.... then do like I said.. announce your secret spot..... your honey hole... where you go to find peace and quiet and know there is an abundance of fish..... give it a year or two... and then watch your success rate go down... the garbage pile up around the place, the abundance of people fishing there, etc. etc.

Cheers.[/quote]

You speak the truth Fatluke. You speak the truth.
GG
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

GuinnessGuy wrote:
RJ wrote:Guinness Dude....again... :lol:

This was your 4th post here....
GuinnessGuy wrote:HI All,

I'm hoping to go out crappie fishing on the weekend. Does anyone know if the ice is out at the Long Island Locks? Is there another good spot I can hit (25 minutes driving from downtown Ottawa, any direction)?

I checked Petrie today and that's out of the question...

Thanks
Hey RJ... I doubt anyone will ever compare a crappie spot to a trout spot. I'll admit that those were naive questions to be asking, being so new to the site. What you don't see is the PM's I've shot out to some people with spots on Baskatong for Walleye, Outfitter recommendations for the Gouin, spots to fish on Pemish, Lac La Peche, Lac Heney and Lac Ste-Marie. I'll apologize right away if this is coming off as defensive, but truth-be-told, you haven't contributed a spot/answer on this thread either. :lol:

GG
We can't all be super stars like RJ when it comes to fishing.
Its always snide comments.

You catch fish dude, awsome fish....but this whole "nah, nah I know the spots etc"

Did you grow up with a Dad who could show you spots? Teach you techniques etc? If so you are very lucky.

My parents are straight off the boat from the UK. They caught mackerel.
So bass, pike etc, etc was all self taught, reading, trial and error.

I've caught lots of fish this year. I just don't need to put up self-affirming pictures.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

GG,

I am 100% more interested in a good crappie spot than a trout lake. Great Crappie lakes with quality fish are 10 times harder to find than a trout lakes.

I'll gladly swap PM boxes for a few weeks with ya fella....:lol:

Just for you GG, if the fella has a boat he should try any of the following: Charleston Lake, Big Rideau Lake, Silver Lake, Muskrat Lake, or Sharbot Lake. If he is on foot. Buy a boat. :lol:

RJ
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Jimmy from the Harley wrote:
We can't all be super stars like RJ when it comes to fishing.
Its always snide comments.

You catch fish dude, awsome fish....but this whole "nah, nah I know the spots etc"

Did you grow up with a Dad who could show you spots? Teach you techniques etc? If so you are very lucky.

My parents are straight off the boat from the UK. They caught mackerel.
So bass, pike etc, etc was all self taught, reading, trial and error.

I've caught lots of fish this year. I just don't need to put up self-affirming pictures.
I am asking myself why I'm replying to this nonsense believe me....

You were the first "snide" remark dude....

Why don't you PM the following guys and ask them about the PMs we've exchanged in the past 2 week about spots......Splake_Hunter, Bl8ant, and Gonefishin. Also catch the report on Sunday night from 2 prominent members of the board I'm taking fishing on my tab in one of my favorite spots to fish........when you're done. Start shooting arrows my way again.

RJ