At what age?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: At what age?

Post by Kerrazy »

My girl was 3 and boy was 5.
My little girl just caught a cat fish that was to big for her to reel in
Attachments
Big catch
Big catch
image.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 1158 times
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I took my oldest son fishing when he was in a playpen, I think he was about a month old. He does not remember it, but my wife does. And that was almost thirty years ago...........Heck, I put a life jacket on him AND I put sunscreen on his face so he would not get burned. But women sometimes have different ideas about what makes for a good father/son outing. :roll:

My three sons all REALLY started fishing about the age of three, although it has been so many years and so many beers that it is all a blur now. I wrote an article for the Ontario Fisherman Magazine back sometime in the '80s about taking kids fishing, and other folks have already hit the high points: Keep the kids interested in SOMETHING, bring plenty of treats (including the forbidden stuff), and call it a day when the kids are clearly done. It hurts to pull up the lines when fish are biting (or about to bite) but you REALLY need to make it a POSITIVE experience, so they will want to do it again.

Doug
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

This is all so true.

My guys are 8 and 9 (almost 10).

My son is the 8 year old and he'll go all darn day.
My daughter (10) and my step-daughter (9) forget it...... 1 hour tops.

My buddy brought his 12 year old boy out to a trout lake yesterday. They just dumped 10,000 rainbows in on Thursday...(QC side).
The action was non-stop but nothing stellar.....even that didn't keep the kids engaged.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I forgot about one tactic I used to extend my time on the water (or ice) with my sons when they were young. We had one of those little video game machines - handheld, about the size of a walkie-talkie, and some games that they could play. So when they got bored, they could play "Super Mario" or whatever the heck it was. I have no idea if modern kids would be all that engaged by a mobile video game player, since it is my impression that a lot of kids OD on these at home. But for my boys, it was one of those "forbidden treasures" that only came out on special occasions, like family vacations and fishing trips. And I found that I could pretty well tune out all of the sound effects, if I concentrated on fishing. The objective was, and is, for the kids to have FUN on a fishing trip.

And not all kids will enjoy fishing, period. Two of my three sons still fish occasionally, the other does not care if he ever puts a line in the water, but all three recall with some affection their fishing trips with Dad when they were kids. Good memories.

Doug