Trout Fishing Hotspots

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

Well if someone wants to catch lakers then Muskrat is the place to be. it has the highest concentration of lakers in the area. and it cant get fished out cause they taste like crap. if you want to keep and eat them, you will want to go someplace else. they feed mainly on smelt. plenty of 20lb plus fish come out of there every year. but you need to know how and where to fish them. it sure is satisfying to figure it all out on your own
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

RJ wrote:GG,

I am 100% more interested in a good crappie spot than a trout lake. Great Crappie lakes with quality fish are 10 times harder to find than a trout lakes.

I'll gladly swap PM boxes for a few weeks with ya fella....:lol:

Just for you GG, if the fella has a boat he should try any of the following: Charleston Lake, Big Rideau Lake, Silver Lake, Muskrat Lake, or Sharbot Lake. If he is on foot. Buy a boat. :lol:

RJ
Ahhh great I was planning on going to Big Rideau this weekend....now it will be fished out by then :lol: Just kidding, I see no problem in naming big lakes close to the highway like the ones RJ kindly shared with us/lurkers...I rarely fish trout and knew of all those lakes....I think its the smaller lakes that are off the beaten path and can not withstand the added presure are the one that should be kept secrect...IMO
Wishing I was fishing
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

i totally agree
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

fatluke wrote:
fishin mission wrote:don't help anyone on this site it's a sin
,,,,,,,ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh top secret !!
is there still fish in that lake tip-up ,,answer would be yes so whatttttttttttttttttttt you shared a spot with someone woooooopiiieeeeeee
Dude why don't you give out your favourite, most productive, least populated "spot" and then watch what happens over time.

Bin 'dare....done'dat

With some experience, you'll see where everyone is coming from.

It was bad enough "back in the day", that word of mouth could ruin a spot... now with the internet... it's 10 times as bad and happens 10 times faster. I have seen it happen first hand, to more than one spot.

It's one thing to give out techniques, lures, patterns, etc. but naming a spot is just ruining it for yourself.

There have been people like you before.... and they have realized what can happen. Almontefisher (Note: I do not have a problem with Peter, and he is well aware of that, he is just a good "guinea pig" for my reasoning) has seen it first hand and has wrote about it on here. When he first joined the site, he was naming lakes, etc..... I pm'ed him and gave him the "low down".... he didn't take the advice.....continued to name lakes, and has now seen the damage first hand. I'm sure he will chime in here and fill in the blanks........ and I'm sure if you see a trout report from him in the future.... you're not getting the lake name out of him...

I have no problem sharing lake names with people I know, or "know of", but to post it online for the entire world to read is just senseless. You may not realize it now, but eventually you will.

How about this example. I have known S.M.05 for over 10 years. We all know he is a trout master (or at leaste he makes you believe so). We met while working together back in the day. We both moved on, and that was that. We later re-aquainted via F-hawk (imagine that) and have been in touch ever since. I'd consider him a buddy, more so than an aquaintance. We talk more than a few times a week, we try to get out as often as we can. We have pints now and again. I lend him things (which he breaks), he offers to lend me things (boat/motor), which I will take him up on sooner or later, etc. I guess the point I am trying to make is that we're not strangers. He goes trout fishing every weekend. I don't even dare ask him where he caught the fish. I will ask him technique, pattern, lure, structure, water temp, thermocline level, etc... But I won't ask the lake name.
Why?
#1 Cause I know trout anglers like their secrets.
#2 Cause I wouldn't expect him to tell me.
#3 Cause if he told me, I still wouldn't believe him.
#4 As a fellow angler, you learn to respect other fellow angler's secrets.
#5 etc., etc.
However, if I wanted to go, I know he would take me.

Now I'm just rambling, but I will wrap up by saying.. if you can't see the point we're all getting at here.... then do like I said.. announce your secret spot..... your honey hole... where you go to find peace and quiet and know there is an abundance of fish..... give it a year or two... and then watch your success rate go down... the garbage pile up around the place, the abundance of people fishing there, etc. etc.

Cheers.
Frig luke what a long winded post...waiting for the smoker to finish??? But what Luke said I agree 1000%...learnt my leason and no longer. I may by PM help you in the right direction to try but not on posts anymore. So without sounding rude man try Backroads books etc like they all said. Worth much more than someone doing the leg work for you. As my friend would say...You need a smoke, you need a lighter, you want me to smoke it for you too :wink:
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

RJ wrote:
Jimmy from the Harley wrote:
We can't all be super stars like RJ when it comes to fishing.
Its always snide comments.

You catch fish dude, awsome fish....but this whole "nah, nah I know the spots etc"

Did you grow up with a Dad who could show you spots? Teach you techniques etc? If so you are very lucky.

My parents are straight off the boat from the UK. They caught mackerel.
So bass, pike etc, etc was all self taught, reading, trial and error.

I've caught lots of fish this year. I just don't need to put up self-affirming pictures.
I am asking myself why I'm replying to this nonsense believe me....

You were the first "snide" remark dude....

Why don't you PM the following guys and ask them about the PMs we've exchanged in the past 2 week about spots......Splake_Hunter, Bl8ant, and Gonefishin. Also catch the report on Sunday night from 2 prominent members of the board I'm taking fishing on my tab in one of my favorite spots to fish........when you're done. Start shooting arrows my way again.

RJ
No arrows shot your way. I said Lapointe's as a joke, why cuz EVERY WEEK the subject of trout lakes comes up. Then you say that's what I have resorted to.

For the record, I actually read your blog. In fact, I have been after Gar ALOT this year with NO success. I'd be happy with the SMALLEST one.
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I agree with everything :lol: :lol: 8) :wink:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:I agree with everything :lol: :lol: 8) :wink:
Been drinking all day on the back porch?... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Though I do believe this may have been an experiment..........and we took it Hook, Line and Sinker. :shock: :lol:

Carry on fellas....it's a good one....Andy is probably on the floor at the City laughing at Ted's problems now... :lol: :lol:

RJ
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

RJ wrote:Though I do believe this may have been an experiment..........and we took it Hook, Line and Sinker. :shock: :lol:

Carry on fellas....it's a good one....Andy is probably on the floor at the City laughing at Ted's problems now... :lol: :lol:

RJ
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats too funny, gee I wish my reports got this much attention, guess i'll have to catch bigger fish :P
Wishing I was fishing
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

RJ wrote: I am 100% more interested in a good crappie spot than a trout lake. RJ

Note to self...

Scratch RJ off the list of Fish-Hawkers up for a Lake X '' TROUT '' outing.. :wink: 8) :lol: :lol:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

RJ wrote:Though I do believe this may have been an experiment..........and we took it Hook, Line and Sinker. :shock: :lol:
RJ
My first thought on the reply to my laker report.

Unfortunately the condition's for feeding were not right this morning, so I didn't bite.

Gotta love the anonymity of the web.

The list RJ gave is a great starting point. Those bodies of water hold and produce a lot of fish, and are no "secret". For other more secluded lakes get the materials mentioned here and start adventuring........With the many lakes available, find one that works for you. Some lakes may be "good" for some people, where others may have hard time catching fish there. I for one have a problem catching lakers on charleston. Maybe it's just a bad day (every time I've been there), or maybe I just can't figure the lake out. I do know it's full of fish though as I know many people who do very well there.

Feeding time... I bit...
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Here's the biggest worry about bringing someone new to Lake xxxx....

Its the guy he's going to tell/bring after .....then the guys/gal's their going bring.........you get my drift :wink:
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Bass Addict wrote:Here's the biggest worry about bringing someone new to Lake xxxx....

Its the guy he's going to tell/bring after .....then the guys/gal's their going bring.........you get my drift :wink:
Duh....no kiddin'?
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:
Bass Addict wrote:Here's the biggest worry about bringing someone new to Lake xxxx....

Duh....no kiddin'?
What are you saying Steve ???....you can't be trusted !!!!
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Trout are sacred and the best trout waters are temples, both gifts from God.

Maybe it's just me, but any trout fisherman worth his salt wouldn't even consider asking a question like that. I find a question like that mind boggling in 2010, when one considers Google earth, stocking lists, road maps of western Quebec, northern New York and and just an ounce of initative. When it come to trout fishing, there are no short-cuts. Your success will reflect directly on effort put forth. LaPointe's is a perfectly good answer to a question like that.

Trout fisherman are a different breed, you'll find that out after you become one.

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman