Trout Fishing Hotspots

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Here's the thing, even if the trout did reproduce and they could on some but not all those ponds. Most are between 10-50 acres in size with mininum potential to hold many fish in a natural state, certainly not enough to support the demand on them.

The answer for people who want quality fishing is allow them to pay for it if they want and manage it to its potential like they do in Montebello or Bing Retreat but in a public/private partnership. The other option is to do what they do in New York State....no ice fishing, limited harvest, no bait, fly only or single hook lures etc..
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Hey Guys, I'm new to the trout fishing scene, had my first experience about a month ago in Algonquin park and pardon the pun,I got hooked. Looking for some spots around the Ottawa area. Anything within an hour-hour and a half of downtown. Anything helpful would be much appreciated.
Thanx

Are these in season or oos trout you want to target and are they within the slot size???

Makes a difference you know :shock: :lol: :roll:
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

ganman wrote:I do find it goofy calling put and take trout ponds sacred. Just because its nestled in the green hills of Calabogie dosen't mean its something special. Its just in pretty setting. If the hoardes rape it this year no worry the stocking truck will fix it.
Not a personal attack, but that logic is just wrong on so many levels. It speaks volumes to the laissez-faire attitude too many anglers have for the very resource they claim to respect. According to this logic, you should have no problem with the rape of these public waters - including the waters you fish in NY state, most of which receive stocking. (I know that's not true because I've read enough of your posts to understand that you care.)

No one is suggesting that these places are "sacred" (no one other than you wrote that). However, they are special in that they offer yet another angling opportunity and that makes Eastern Ontario a pretty special place. Evidently, the MNR feels that these places are special enough to stock with trout in extremely limited numbers. Some ponds receive as few as 200 fish. Many anglers feel these places are special enough that they don't broadcast the locations to prevent the wholesale rape of the resource.

No, the stocked fish are not like wild fish and it would be absurd to suggest otherwise. However, wild, native trout are pretty much gone so the stockers offer us trout fishing in our own backyard. Isn't your backyard worth managing? It is genuinely goofy to think it isn't.

Living in another country and I've seen what a lack of respect for the sport fishery can produce. Hell, in Japan they pave a road right up to the place, build a parking lot, set up several gift shops and restaurants, and charge you $50 to use the area, and another $50 for the boat rental! Then the hordes show up leaving tons of garbage and no fish.

I think most of you should get down on your knees and thank god you live in a place where enough people give a damn about the resource and where it's so bloody cheap to use.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

I know of a Lake with some Fair size Trout........

Lake xxxxxxxxxx

There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

Hey Bass Addict you should advertise that lake on the web then everyone can go to the lake and cut down all the nice trees and have campfires all over the shore and leave lots of garbage and sht tickets all over the trees.

Oh what about those trophy specs? Dont worry they grow faster with the added pressure and the stocking truck will come by and stock it with 5lb fingerlings :roll: .

Couldnt understand why anyone would consider that lake "a little gem in the hills" or even consider protecting the angling quality of such a small body of water.

Alot of the lakes they stock had naturals in them. I see we have not learned anything about fishing pressure.

Use to be a beau-T lake me and a buddy camped at, his friends father showed it to us.
Then somebody who pays their taxes :roll: to stock the lake decided to park their trailer at the lake for the summer.
Every time we got to the lake we had to turn around cause he pays his taxes :roll: . Used to be a clean lake no garbage there either.
Not this spring though.

O.K. Im done, Ill go back to my little gem in the woods. By the way it gets less than 400 every few yrs........wonder why. :wink:
Last edited by S.M.05 on Fri May 28, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
Rideau-snag
Participant
Participant

Post by Rideau-snag »

Good luck trying to find a nice lake trout spot, if only people would help you out.

If anything try findlay creek in ottawa, or head to petewawa right off the highway on doran road pasing threw Pet is a stocked lake.

good luck
S.M.05
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by S.M.05 »

1. MNR will supply you with the stocking list for free(only a phone call away)

2. Backroad Mapbook sold at Bits and Baits(MNR phone #s listed at back off book)

3. Last guy I responded to a P.M. from cused me out after offering him a trout lake other than the one I was at, guy before promised me a lake O trip, Guy before promised me muskie(no not you steve)yada yada.

4. you get to a certain age where your mother stops holding your hand.

5. I could talk to you for hours but nothing will help you more than #1 and #2 so enough with the wont help find a trout lake.

Lazy and greedy :evil:
Last edited by S.M.05 on Fri May 28, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

S.M.05 wrote: 3. Last guy I responded to a P.M. from cused me out after offering him a trout lake other than the one I was at,

Last Guy who I '' NEVER '' offered / mentioned / promised to bring to a Trout Lake and he cursed me out also...I'd say he threw a Temper Tantrum.... :? :shock:
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Here we go...be right back...gotta make some popcorn... :lol:
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

muskymatt wrote:Here we go...be right back...gotta make some popcorn... :lol:
My wife and I are heading out to the Wendover area tomorrow in the Boat.....BIRDING...

I wonder what i'm going to see more of .Birds or Guys ...butt Fishing.. :wink:
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Boys I've been were you are right now. Nothing new. I know the lakes you fish. Its been like this long before the internet. I could bore you with similar tales 30 years old. Like I said the stocking truck came along and fixed it all.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I'm home now and have the time to answer y'all properly. By all the chest puffing and picture showing seems like I offended a couple of insecure fellows here by trivalizing the pedigree of there catches :P . Why the pics....just rattlin the cages are we? Look, look I know something you don't....or I have the time to do the things you can't. Some poor folks are stuck raising kids and too busy just making a living to do something as frivilous as barge around the backwoods sniffing out secret trout holes.

Nothing riles up a trout fisherman more than telling him that stocked trout he caught was light years dumber than a bass and less lordly than a bluegill :wink: ....and I had the termity to mention in the same post as a trout......GAR .....yuck.

Tell you how smart some trout are.... the best fly I ever used on those 'Bogie trout was a simple fly of brown thread wrapped around a #10 hook. It looked just like a trout pellet and they ate it like candy.. :lol: :lol: According to you lads there ahould now be a bunch of lurkers hunched over vises wrapping this fly or else calling Cabelas or Bass Pro for it. Within days hordes will descend upon Sullivan, Lonewolf, Straddleburg or the Quinns.

Fishboy I may be wrong but I believe Dropshotter said trout were sacred and the places fished for them temples. You may be in Japan and that may be your reality right now but its not mine. I'm not satisfied with great fishing here by Japanese standards. By any measure what we have now is mediocrity compared to what COULD be. Do you get my point? I know you do.

Bass Addict you're my hero....you caught a 5 lb trout out of a backwoods pond and ate it :wink: . SM05...you'd think you'd be happy, me downplaying those Calabogie-Madawaska Highland trout... if you want folks to stay away or do you get a kick out them asking where you caught the big'un. Is there a bit of Na-na-na I know something you don't going on here? I think we PM'd before....you asked about how to catch brown trout.

I'll do you all a favour and tell everyone catching a 10" bluegill is a bigger trophy than catching a 4 lbs brookie in a pond....and a foot long crappie is better eating (but not better than a 10" brookie). That because of a combination of short life span, sterile surroundings and water temperature/metabolism the poor beast was forced to eat his weight in a week come spring and anything that flashed before his eyes he ate...he had no choice, his metabolism dictated it. You'd think you would be happy telling everyone its no big deal.....go chase 10" bluegills if you want real sport.

If any of you have any smarts you'll realize some of this post is tongue in cheek but I like to have fun with y'all 8) Stop taking things so seriously.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

ganman wrote:I'm home now and have the time to answer y'all properly. By all the chest puffing and picture showing seems like I offended a couple of insecure fellows here by trivalizing the pedigree of there catches :P . Why the pics....just rattlin the cages are we? Look, look I know something you don't....or I have the time to do the things you can't. Some poor folks are stuck raising kids and too busy just making a living to do something as frivilous as barge around the backwoods sniffing out secret trout holes.

Nothing riles up a trout fisherman more than telling him that stocked trout he caught was light years dumber than a bass and less lordly than a bluegill :wink: ....and I had the termity to mention in the same post as a trout......GAR .....yuck.

Tell you how smart some trout are.... the best fly I ever used on those 'Bogie trout was a simple fly of brown thread wrapped around a #10 hook. It looked just like a trout pellet and they ate it like candy.. :lol: :lol: According to you lads there ahould now be a bunch of lurkers hunched over vises wrapping this fly or else calling Cabelas or Bass Pro for it. Within days hordes will descend upon Sullivan, Lonewolf, Straddleburg or the Quinns.

Fishboy I may be wrong but I believe Dropshotter said trout were sacred and the places fished for them temples. You may be in Japan and that may be your reality right now but its not mine. I'm not satisfied with great fishing here by Japanese standards. By any measure what we have now is mediocrity compared to what COULD be. Do you get my point? I know you do.

Bass Addict you're my hero....you caught a 5 lb trout out of a backwoods pond and ate it :wink: . SM05...you'd think you'd be happy, me downplaying those Calabogie-Madawaska Highland trout... if you want folks to stay away or do you get a kick out them asking where you caught the big'un. Is there a bit of Na-na-na I know something you don't going on here? I think we PM'd before....you asked about how to catch brown trout.

I'll do you all a favour and tell everyone catching a 10" bluegill is a bigger trophy than catching a 4 lbs brookie in a pond....and a foot long crappie is better eating (but not better than a 10" brookie). That because of a combination of short life span, sterile surroundings and water temperature/metabolism the poor beast was forced to eat his weight in a week come spring and anything that flashed before his eyes he ate...he had no choice, his metabolism dictated it. You'd think you would be happy telling everyone its no big deal.....go chase 10" bluegills if you want real sport.

If any of you have any smarts you'll realize some of this post is tongue in cheek but I like to have fun with y'all 8) Stop taking things so seriously.
after further review.

this kid has an I.Q of a 1.5 equal to a speckled trout. :lol:
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

After further review son you have no concept of satire :P :wink:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

This topic should die like disco.... :roll: