Thoughts on Walleye Harvesting

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

dead_weight wrote:I'm curious guys ... what would it cost to mount say a large bass or something like that ? The miser in me thinks it's a lot of cash but I really don't know ...
Skin is roughly $10-12 an inch....and replicas I've seen as much as $20 an inch......plus wood, rock, mount etc.
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

Thanks RJ ... nope I won't be doing any mounting ... I'm just too dam cheap .. but I will continue to admire those that do ...
Nick
Participant
Participant

Post by Nick »

When I started fishing (the first 25 years) I mounted a 7.5 #Bass,a 20# Canadian Pike,6.5 #Walleye,a 4.5 # Chain pickerel.& a Sail fish.Many of us have done it.However,you can save the fish & alot of money buy taking a picture holding the fish,make an 8 x 10 in. copy,frame it on a wall and not ony will you have the memory of the fish but of yourself & the background scenery of the moment of the catch.You can't duplicate that with a mount.Years from now it will tell the story like in a picture is worth a 1,000 words.You'll never regret doing it like that.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Nick wrote:However,you can save the fish & alot of money buy taking a picture holding the fish,make an 8 x 10 in. copy,frame it on a wall and not ony will you have the memory of the fish but of yourself & the background scenery of the moment of the catch.You can't duplicate that with a mount.Years from now it will tell the story like in a picture is worth a 1,000 words.You'll never regret doing it like that.
Good point Nick: we have an 8 x 10 of Ty (Torpedo) on our cottage wall, holding his trophy bass. It wasn't the best picture every taken, but it WAS one of the best memories of all time. The expression on his face, the huge bass, the fading daylight, even our goofy dog poking his head in there to see..........PRICELESS and caught "on film". We also have a very nice replica on the wall. So I figure we've got the best of both worlds, and the fish is still swimming (at least I hope it still is)!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

RJ wrote:
I'm not a big fan of replicas per say....they just don't look the same to me....again just my opinion......hopefully this 6th one which is a replica can live up to my hopes.....it's being done by the best there is so we'll see!

RJ
RJ

I would be more than happy to take your replica that you are waiting on.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

I have this debate in my mind everytime I go fishing, will I keep it if its over 6.5lbs (Lg/SM bass) for a mount or get a replica. I guess the part that plays on me is the feeling of killing for trophy. But until I catch one I'll never really know until then its all pictures!
Legend Killer
Participant
Participant

Post by Legend Killer »

dead_weight wrote:I'm curious guys ... what would it cost to mount say a large bass or something like that ? The miser in me thinks it's a lot of cash but I really don't know ...
I got a replica done of a 7lb Largemouth 22.5" from Advanced out of Toronto and it cost me right around $700...That is painted both sides, mouth open, gill detail etc...I got the fish only and built my own display and habitat...They are widely known as the leaders in what they do...I would never get a skin mount done after walking through their shop and seeing the attention to detail.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Nick wrote:When I started fishing (the first 25 years) I mounted a 7.5 #Bass,a 20# Canadian Pike,6.5 #Walleye,a 4.5 # Chain pickerel.& a Sail fish.Many of us have done it.However,you can save the fish & alot of money buy taking a picture holding the fish,make an 8 x 10 in. copy,frame it on a wall and not ony will you have the memory of the fish but of yourself & the background scenery of the moment of the catch.You can't duplicate that with a mount.Years from now it will tell the story like in a picture is worth a 1,000 words.You'll never regret doing it like that.
bingo!
capture the moment and release the fish
Climber2k
Participant
Participant

Post by Climber2k »

About holding the pike. You have to remember that the damage to the pike comes from the internal organs sliding down the body and tearing. Note that in water any fish is essentially weightless and its internal organs are floating.
So while the musculature and spine can take the full weight of the fish, when you hold it by the head all the organs get pulled down, and that is what harms the fish.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

just came back from seeing rj's mounts....again.

his skin mounts are amazing.

and not only do they "LOOK" like the real thing...they are.

when you set the bar high enough, its very rewarding.

last i checked, not much catch and release going on in hunting....

so when i keep my 16lbs walleye, 8lbs bass, or 25lbs brown, it'll be like a deer hunter, who shot his ONE AND ONLY deer.....

does that make any sense? cause it does to me.
Last edited by steve-hamilton on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

SeaMonster wrote:
fatluke wrote:I don't see a problem keeping a giant eye for the wall...

I do see a problem keeping giant fish to eat.
OK.
I gotta ask.
Why is it better to harvest a Walleye and stick it on the wall rather than eat it.
Personally I'd rather have it on my plate than on my wall.

I'd probably let it go.. but anyway... don't really understand the logic.

Here is the logic. if you keep a 10 lb walleye for a wall mount you do it once. If you eat a 10lb walleye and do not see anything wrong with that you will not think twice about eating any sized walleye or fish .
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

CN wrote:
SeaMonster wrote:
fatluke wrote:I don't see a problem keeping a giant eye for the wall...

I do see a problem keeping giant fish to eat.
OK.
I gotta ask.
Why is it better to harvest a Walleye and stick it on the wall rather than eat it.
Personally I'd rather have it on my plate than on my wall.

I'd probably let it go.. but anyway... don't really understand the logic.

Here is the logic. if you keep a 10 lb walleye for a wall mount you do it once. If you eat a 10lb walleye and do not see anything wrong with that you will not think twice about eating any sized walleye or fish .
Ohh.. Missed this one.
And yes CN is correct.

Also, as a meat-hunter/connoisseur of fine fine, fat, and healthy foods.... A 10lb walleye just tastes bad, has bad texture, and is not healthy (mercury).

However, they are legal to catch, keep, eat, mount.... so have 'atter... If you are going to eat fish of that size though, please educate yourself on the consumption reccomendations.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.