A Little Baitcaster Help!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

A Little Baitcaster Help!

Post by Joisey Joe »

Goin tonite to pick up a combo, can't spend tons of $, anyone have any ideas? My bro-in-law says Shakespear, just askin out loud for advice! :P
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

i'd suggest an abu garcia ambassadur (size is up to you), matched with a shimano Compre.

some may suggest a more expensive model, but this is what i use, and fish a helluva lot.
Last edited by steve-hamilton on Fri May 13, 2005 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

I second Abu Garcia reels. I love mine :!:

For rods, take a look at Diawa, they are extreamly good rods for the price.
Jabba
Participant
Participant

Baitcasters

Post by Jabba »

You can't go wrong with the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur series. I've had problems with 2 of the A-G combos I bought as a set from a large tire retailer (a Canadian retailer). I've got an Ambsassadeur that's over 30 years old, works like a charm, and my son just bought a 5500, loves it.

I picked up 2 Okuma Induron's this spring, and I'm very satisfied.

As far as rods go, I'm partial to the Quantum's.
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Compre

Post by grumpy7790 »

BigJoe,
Steve's right, the Shimano Compre's are very good for the money. They seem to be a little hard to find. They should be in the $60-$75 range. Dick's use to carry them.

G
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

I'm in love with my Abu reels C and D series and all I use is
Fenwick rods. The new Canadian Methods Series seem to be very good rods and are a real good price for a Fenwick. If you can afford it though the Techna is my preferred rod.

The Quantum Accurist is also a very good baitcasting reel but costs in the $150 range
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Thanx for the info guys, didn't get out tonite but will fish around this weekend and see what I can see, Joe.
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Abu reels most overated, not made like theyused to be and problem prone, many plastic components and typically popular because of its name.. Shimano will outlast it, Daiwa will outperform it in most fishing conditions. However one of the best Muskie reels the 5500-6500 series. I dont know about you but when I spend over a $100 on a reel im not looking for plastic drag components and plastic line guides.. They seem to be on sale all the time.. I wonder why???? :wink:

However cant bash the ambassadeur, its a hefty piece. But man the Tornos or PGS series what a joke.. In my opinion anyway.

And for the Antibacklash series, cut your castin like 50% biggest flop ever! Owned one and it sucked. Its a ambassadeur with a anitbacklash flap more like flop! :wink:

Dont go Abu unless you want to use a ambassadeur drum..
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

any recommendations

Post by tr21chris »

for the guy Spence, other than Ambassador....you sound educated on the topic.
red_devil
Participant
Participant

Post by red_devil »

I just bought the Abu Ambasadeur 5001c and I love it. Very smooth handling and is capable to haul lunkers outta well anywere lol. Once you get a reel, make a post about line, it will help ya out to.
Team Sports Action
Participant
Participant

Post by Team Sports Action »

When you are looking at a baitcast reel remember a couple of things;
1. What are you going to be using it for (flipping, spinnerbaits, muskie, etc...) because reels very in gear ratio (speed), size and drag.
2. When you pick up a reel, how does it feel in your hand? Just because someone uses one reel, doesn't mean that it will be comfortable in your hand.
3. Always buy the best you can afford and you will not be unhappy. Better quality reels are easier to use, learn with and last much longer.
4. All companies make a good reel, depending on what you want to pay and what size you need.
Hope this helps

Team Sports Action
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Baitcast

Post by Spence Scout »

Things to look at when buying baitcast. Other then what TSA has posted which is all extremely important.

also remember these things...

If you go low end your not going to get durability maybe a couple years but nothing more. Its easier to start with a more mid range or expensive reel then it is cheaper. The performance and all around design of the reel will be much more comfortable and enjoyable. You will get backlashes theres no way of avoiding it really, it happens. You got toget used to manually thumbing the line and your timing will be key. Its not easy at first but this style of reel can be more accurate and easier to use. Even the pros get backlashes so no worries. Once you get good at manually thumbing the reel you will find it easier to get distance and youll get good at casting distances your aiming for.

First off its easier to cast alow profile baitcast, low profile is a reel that fits to your hand its designed so you can palm it or have it nicley i nyour hand. The drum style reels are a little more difficult to get used to its a larger frame and bulky. For a mid range starter reel ill recommend depending on your style of fishing or waht species you target.

Shimano Curado: durable, smooth, dependable, reliable and can take a beating, oil it every now and then and you got a reel for time to come.

Quantum Accurist: smooth, free floaitng spool, comfortable, light, good for flippn/pitchin for bass.

Team Daiwa Advantage super tuned: free floating spool, smooth, fast retrieve, light, very comfortable to the hand, small but can hold line.

Quantum Energy PT: Light, smooth, free floating spool, very easy to find a modle for all kinds of fishing and techniques. Comes in many differnt gear ratios many fast and some slow depending what you want to use them for!

I recommend the Curado its a pricy start but if you got it you wouldnt ahve to upgrade in 1-2 yrs youd be comfor table with a good reel, and experienced in using it. then youl be hepling people decide what to buy and youll be posting to hepl baitcast questions.

SS
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Spence wrote;
First off its easier to cast alow profile baitcast, low profile is a reel that fits to your hand its designed so you can palm it or have it nicley i nyour hand. The drum style reels are a little more difficult to get used to its a larger frame and bulky.
You have some good points Spence, but as for being easier to cast a low profile reel, I agree and disagree. It really depends on hand size style. I use low profile and round reels and find that the round reels are easier to cast because I have very large hands and I can palm the reel better. I use lowprofile reels when I need a high gear ratio (speed for burning back spinner baits) but I have now found a round reel in 6:1 so I'll be changing over as well. As for being more bulky, depends on the model. Some round reels are very small and are lighter than most low profiles. Spence you do make many good points and I don't mean to go against you just want to add my 2 cents.
Cheers
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Yup JP totally agree except in my case I got smaller hands, so drum style are harder for me but your right totally depends on the angler... Whats comfortable is one of the most important thigns to look for

SS
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

WOW! Thanx alot guys for the detailed info, I guess I'm going to have to research this a little more. I use the combo for Pike mostly, but during the summer I get Bass and most other freshwaters. What kind of line is best for Pike? Thanx again, Joe.