Charging a trolling motor

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Charging a trolling motor

Post by saskie »

Our trolling motor battery finally died Friday I was very impressed - this is the first time we've had to charge it since buying the boat in April - and at Stonecliffe we definitely put some long hours in trolling all three days. We also bought a Nautilus "intelligent" battery charger, which is rated for (among other things) - deep cycle marine batteries. It also says on the box that it's trickle charger...which is good cuz the guys at Laurentian said to use a trickle charger - it should take as long to charge as it took to drain it.

Trouble is that in the instructions it very explicitly states NOT to use the 2a setting as a trickle charger for larger batteries. The other settings are 10a and 15a. I'm wondering if:

a) since this is an "intelligent charger" and does have a "deep-cycle" setting under battery type do you just select deep-cycle and give 'er the juice;
b) ignore the warning about not using the 2a as a trickle charger; or
c) just split the difference and put it on 10a/deep cycle and hope for the best.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

My recommendation ( and I think it was the concensus here in the past ) is that you should use the 10 Amp trickle charge. I have been warned by folks I trust that charging the battery repeatedly at the 2 Amp charge WILL reduce the life of your battery.

Also, from what I have read you should charge your battery ASAP after ANY discharge to maximize the life of your battery.
Hope this helps
JasonM
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Agreed Kingmann... When i first read that it had managed a few trips out without a recharge the first thing i thought was that it should probably be recharged after every trip.

I had to replace my trolling motor battery this spring while at westmeath of all places.

saskie i'd go with the 10AMP set for deep cycle.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

John wrote:Agreed Kingmann... When i first read that it had managed a few trips out without a recharge the first thing i thought was that it should probably be recharged after every trip.

I had to replace my trolling motor battery this spring while at westmeath of all places.

saskie i'd go with the 10AMP set for deep cycle.
I asked about this when I bought it and they advised me to run it down at least 75% before recharging to prevent "memory"....????
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

saskie wrote:
I asked about this when I bought it and they advised me to run it down at least 75% before recharging to prevent "memory"....????
That's silly. You will have lots of time when you will nearly completely discharge it, and others where you will barely touch it.

Personally, if that thing has a 15 amp deep cycle setting, I use that.

Good luck.

M.T. Livewell
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Huh?

Post by Cancatchbass »

Saskie:

You should tell whoever you were dealing with to learn some basics about batteries.

Everything they told you was way off base. :shock:

Charge it at 10 or 15 amps, not 2. And charge it ASAP after each use, even if only used for an hour. DO NOT wait til the battery runs down completely or let it sit in a partially discharged state.

CCB