Morris Island Conservation Area

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Morris Island Conservation Area

Post by Pints »

Has anyone fished this area? It looks like it would be a good area for a variety of fish. Can anyone give some advice for this area. I will be fishing from shore, so I am sure that this limits the areas of access. Thanks in advance.
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

where exactly is this place.. Don't think I've heard of it

Keep us podted

Joe
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

It is west of Ottawa, near Arnprior, here is a link and some info. Though I am fishing from shore, it looks like it would be a great canoeing area.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/fishing/ot ... n.htm#MICA

Directions: Take Highway #417 West to the split, continuing west towards Arnprior on Highway #17. At the Galetta Sideroad, turn right (East), following it to Loggers Way. Turn left (North) and follow the signs (they feature a brown letter C enclosing an icon of water and pine trees) to the conservation area.

To get to Morris Island from Carp, take the Carp Road to Galetta Sideroad, then turn left (West) to Loggers Way.

Description: Located near Galetta, off Cty. Rd. 22, this beautiful day use site is nestled on the scenic Ottawa River and has 10 km of nature trails and accessible facilities, including trails, picnic area, fishing platforms and washrooms. The 47 ha of forested woodlands are ideal for hiking, canoeing, fishing and cross-country skiing.

Links:

- Ottawa River conservation area a treat (Ottawa Citizen: June 8, 2004)
- Mississippi Valley Conservation - Morris Island Conservation Area
Amenities: (see legend)

Canoeing
Day Use
Fishing
Toilets
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Lots of bass and small pike in there. You can actually fish quite a few places in there as you can hop from island to island if you dont mind gettin a little wet.
Chuckles
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Morris Island

Post by Chuckles »

Hey,

I fish morris Island quite a bit. I've gone in my canoe and caught quite a few mud pout with minnows. But off shore, there is a causeway that was built for crossing and in the middle theres a fishing stand and you can cast on both sides. The left side has produced more for myself and others that I've seen fishing. You can catch, big rock bass, just let your line fall at the stand, no need to cast out. Lots of perch and sunfish. I've caught little bass, but also seen a huge bass come out of there. Just cast out off the rocky shore, all the way up the causeway. Be carfull though, there is a lot of little tree stumps, try not to use any lures, shallow or deep diver, you WILL lose some. Some guy, recently told me his walleye hole that is there, but you need to walk quite a bit. I've heard there is big pike in there, but yet to see or catch one. I tried the walleye hole but it was in the afternoon and it wa too hot and sunny. I would'nt mind trying again sometime, drop me a line if you want to try the walleye hole. Hope this helps a little, I just hate it you put on a post and 60 to 70 people read it but only 1 or 2 help you out.

good luck

P.S you'll need patience for that big bass.

Chuckles
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Just looking at the topo map, 31F/8 - Arnprior, lots of islands there. I don't mind doing some wet wading, so I'll have to give it a try, should be interesting. Any suggestions on what to use? I don't want to have to lug 30 lbs of tackle with me :lol: .
Chuckles
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

lure??

Post by Chuckles »

Anytime I go to moris island I only bring my line and some worms. Of course the pliers, extra hooks and stuff like that. But no lures. You put a worm in you have the possibility of catching bass, sunfish, mud pout and or walleye, they all go for that tasty worm.

chuck
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Spinnerbaits, topwaters for lots off bass action, weedless plastics. Floating jig head and minnow.
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Pretty much eveything is in there, from Muskie to Rock Bass. Lots of bottom feature in there, normally make my way through on the electric, Plastics and Spinner Baits
Flipper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Flipper »

Great spot. Especially for kids - they can fish from the causeway for all kinds of panfish. Lots of carp too. I've got some beauty largemouth using plastic worms off that causeway.
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Thanks for all info guys, I'll have to give this place a serious look see. Thanks Chuckles, I'll keep you in mind. Thanks.
sparky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by sparky »

I have caught huge largemouth and pike right off the causeway, and some decent sized channel cats, too. It's a good spot in the spring, I'm not so sure about summer.
GR8-Scott
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GR8-Scott »

Anyone fished this area recently?

Looking for a few shore fishing spots (in the Arnprior area) to take my kids....
Seems the last few posts were a few years back.
Just wanted to know how this area produced......

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers
Scott
Scott
- A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office.....
- Every day can be a fishing day, but not every day will be a catching day.......
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Actually tried the causeway a few times, but never had any luck, so I never went back.
GR8-Scott
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GR8-Scott »

Thanks Pints.....

May still give it a try anyway with the kids....just in case.
If nothing, still get to spend some time out-doors.....
Scott
- A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office.....
- Every day can be a fishing day, but not every day will be a catching day.......