2 more poachers nabbed by the MNR

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

2 more poachers nabbed by the MNR

Post by Markus »

Senior poachers at that! :lol:
September 9, 2005

FINED $5,000 FOR NETTING 27 SALMON

BARRIE — Two Toronto men found hiding in a ditch have been fined $5,000 and banned from fishing for two years for illegally netting 27 chinook salmon.

Jan Demkowicz, 60, was fined $3,000 and Josef Budka, 55, $2,000.

Ministry of Natural Resources Midhurst District conservation officers snagged the men in a ditch near the Pine River, Alliston, on September 28, 2004. A search uncovered 27 fish in the nearby forest.

Both cases were heard this summer in the Ontario Court of Justice, Barrie. Budka appeared before Justice of the Peace Anne Marie Puusaari on June 7, 2005. Demkowicz came up before Justice of the Peace Sue Hilton on August 6, 2005.

The public is asked to protect its natural resources by reporting violations to the Ministry of Natural Resources’ Midhurst District Office at 705-725-7500, or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

excellent
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

27 fish....BOY, they must have been real HUNGRY.
...anything to bend the rod
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Obviously motivated by greed! Glad they nabbed the stooges!! :D :D
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Shad
Participant
Participant

Post by Shad »

Twenty-seven, that's a heavy load of salmon to be carrying around! Hopefully they didn't get any spawners but more then likely did! The fines just don't justify the crime; in my eyes at least!
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

Over the last few weeks I have been observing 4 poachers fishing from shore using two to three lines, netting perch and other sunfish and using them for bait. Originally I tried to speak to these people but they acted as though I was not even there. I don't think they speak english and if they do it isn't very well, but as I say they treated me like a ghost not even acknowledging in any way shape or form that I was even trying to speak to them. So, every time I saw an infraction taking place I called Crimestoppers and gave a detailed report of where the people were and what they were wearing. After the third day of reporting seperate incidences I was told to 'stop calling' and that someone would look into this when they had a chance.
I did end up meeting with a CO who received the call four full days after the original call. As well, he was only aware of one call being placed regarding this issue and the detailed physical descriptions I was providing to them wasn't even passed along.
It seem to me that in Ottawa, Crimestoppers doesn't care about poaching.
If you are a poacher Ottawa is a good place to live!
JasonM
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

but if jimmy is sitting on shore, minding his own business, and decides to puff one....see how interested Crime Stoppers would be!

:roll: