opinions...........on ,, OOS fish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

opinions...........on ,, OOS fish

Post by joco »

HI ALL

would like other fisherman opinion here.....

I saw in an other tread,,,,OOS fish pictures.....some people have some opinions on this,,,,,,like us all,,,,,,,some agree some not,,,,,.....

so is all fish is equal for that OOS ,,,,supose not put picture in here...?

I MIGHT bring one more thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,OOS out off season fish are illigal,,,we have to trow them back in a soon as possible,,,no time to loose taking picture and all..... :? :roll: ..

BUT GUYS,ITS the exact same thing for the other OOS,,,,kind......

THE OUT OFF ((((( SIZE FISH ))))) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,one example,,,,,,,if you catch a musky shorter then 54 inch,,,,on the ontario side off ottawa river and shorter then 104cm on the quebec side off the ottawa river,,,its a out off size limite,,,,,,,,so an illigal fish,,,,,,,,,have to be trow back as soon as possible,,,,,,,,,,,no picture taken........ :? :roll: .......

so OOS,out off season fish is illigal.....

so OOS,out off size fish is as illigal to........

i do see tons off pictures,,,,,,,,off out off size fish coming frome the ottawa river all the time on musky internet site or even in some magasine,,,,,,,,why would it be legal.?...its not a legal fish,,,,why can we poste a picture on the internet,,or magasine to promote a guide,,,or helse,,,,,,,,,?

my opinion,,,,,,,,,,,,,an iligal fish is an illigal fish thats it,,,,,,,

to post picture off it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i have no opinion,,,,

a lot off people never did catch a big fish,,,,,,so wen they do they are very proud off it,,,,,,,,,and i am happy for them,they want to show it,,,,,,hey its there shoice,,,,,,,

wen do we see picture off a real 54 inch musky here.?,,but we do see a lot under that size limit,,,,,,,

its extremely rare a 54 inch musky........so we would mabe see one picture a year if so off an ottawa river musky......

people just have to be educate,,,,,,,,,about all this,,,,,,,,how to do quik back in the water technic,,,and all that stuff........

nobody need to be bash about showing a nice fish that he is very proud off,,,,,,,,,

if we do follow everything,,,,,,by the letter,,,no more picture off out off size fish or any kind off out off season fish,,,,there both not ligal by some standard......... :roll:

but i would be pround showing a 50 even 53 inch musky picture,,,,,,but its iligal........like i said i do see some in a lot off musky fishing site and promo site to,.......

your opinion on off out off season fish picture,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or out off size limit fish........there both illigal fish and thats a fact.........

you no what,, i would take very care off that fish,i would do everything to not hurt that fish and put him back as soon as possible,,,,,but i would take a piture off it,,,,,( if its a nice size),,,,,,out off season or out off size,,,thats my choice....

joco............................................
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

I've got to agree with you Joco. I'd snap a pic myself. The whole OOS pic posting thing just doesn't make much sense to me. The arguement is it encourages OOS catches, I really don't see how. An OOS catch is always incidental. Unless of course your targetting them and then of course your poaching. I'd like to think most of us are responsible anglers who want nothing more then to keep our fisheries healthy.

Lets say for arguements sake you happen to catch, well I dunno, an extremely rare, once in a lifetime catch, like an albino sturgeon? Happens to be OOS, you honestly mean to tell me you wouldn't snap a pic?

There are some that are so extreme in their ideals of conservation that they are condoning barbless hooks, certain nets, etc. Some almost to the point of fanaticism. (This isn't a jab at anyone, its just the way I see it).
These people are a small minority just as people who intentionally target OOS fish are. Its usually small, special interest groups who make the most noise while the quiet majority silently shakes its head and goes on with the task at hand. Unfortunately because this minority creates such a ruckus, people often cave into the pressure, beleiving that is what the majority thinks.

I'm glad this topic was revisited. I really didn't agree with the final desicion on this but can surely understand why it was made.

Just my 2 cents.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

There's always people wanting to jab their opinion in.. if it's OOS, outside of the size limit or they just want to argue that the weight isnt the same as the person who posted it thought it was. They just have to open their mouths about something.. I don't know if it's fueled by jealousy or what.

Personally I think if somebody catches a once in a lifetime catch and it happens to be OOS or outside of a size limit, we shouldn't be flaming them about it. Nor should we really be congratulating them for it either. Simply say "Nice fish." If the person is unaware that it is illegal to catch that fish, a PM to them would suffice.

Sadly, internet fishing boards will never work this way.. and ruling out OOS fish pictures is probably the best route to go. I support this site's decision in making OOS fish pictures 'censored'

That's just my opinion
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I hear they're just as tasty :lol:

It's illegal to target oos fish so if you aren't targetting them you'r enot breaking any laws.. is it illegal to take pictures??.... show me where it specifically says you can't in the regs... <insert arguments about how it's worded here and how everyone has their own opinion>.. the fish is going back alive... as long as it's not being passed around for a 5 minute photo shoot it's fine.

Feel free to add your 2cents.. or better still look back at last years thread on exactly the same subject :lol: :lol: :lol:
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Joco,

It's important to note the difference between OOS rules and size/slot limit rules. With regards to the OOS rule, it is illegal to target and/or keep any fish that is out of season. Any fish accidentally caught OOS must be released immediately.

For size/slot limits, it is not illegal to catch a fish that does not fall with the published size(s), but rather it is illegal to keep it. So going back to your analogy regarding muskies caught on the Ottawa, there is not problem with taking a picture of the fish.

As for OOS pictures in general, I agree that people should not be taking pictures of OOS fish, however I think we should all assume that any pictures posted are of legally caught fish, unless there is a date associated with the picture that can (without a doubt) indicate that the fish was taken OOS.

Just my $0.02
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

Big Bass Rich wrote:
Sadly, internet fishing boards will never work this way..
BBR - This site used to work that way.... not a knock on anyone, just a fact.
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

haha

Post by Graembo »

Joco's trollin in January!!! :lol: :lol:
Sit back and watch this get locked!!!
G
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

:?:
Last edited by joco on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I think this whole OOS picture was in response to one person last year who kept showing pictures of OOS bass. Although he claimed to be pike fishing, there were never any pike pictures shown. Also, the bass in these pictures had been out of the water for a lenght of time so the angler could get assistance in the picture taking.

As always, rules are put in place not for the bulk of the people, but for the few that abuse the system.

Have I ever caught an OOS fish, and taken its picture, yes to both charges. :oops:

Ed
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Have I ever caught an OOS fish, and taken its picture, yes to both charges. :oops:

Your not alone my freind

F.F
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

I'm sure there are few people on this board who are NOT guilty of this..

Good point toob.... Not everyone drags a huge bass on a piece of rope back to the boat launch to get a picture of it. Any by no means was the sturgeon in the recent OOS picture the target species....
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Joco,

The Ontario Regs on size limits is pretty clear. They even have a link to Tips on Release of live fish which discusses photographs. I agree that photographs of OOS fish is out of the question but there is no regulation within the Ontario regs restricting the photographs of any "in season" fish. Their own documentation clearly allows the practice.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

:?:
Last edited by joco on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

I catch alot at dows lake while fishing for crappie. We always release them ASAP and have the camera ready.

Heres' how I met LarryS :lol:

http://fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic ... ake+tonite
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Joco,

It is not illegal to catch an undersized-fish, say a 24" musky. It is only illegal to keep it. Don't think these two issues are the same. If so, everyone who has ever taken a photo of a musky less than 54" is breaking the law. The size limit is in place for those that wish to keep one for the wall, or to eat. If it was indeed illegal to catch undersized fish, then there's no point casting a line, because 99% of us don't catch musky over 54".
I see no issue with taking a photograph of an undersized fish - reason being is, the only illegal aspect of the practice is if I chose to keep the fish. Now I am breaking the law.
As for the OOS pictures, my thoughts are if it is done in a timely with no added stress to the fish, then no real problem. When you think about it, are you really causing a ton more damage to say a 3lb largemouth in November when the season is closed, as opposed to the middle of July? Yeah, I know, when they are spawning it opens up a whole other can of worms...
Try to take a shot of the fish in the water, or while your buddy removes the hooks. I don't see how this is doing any harm.
And yes, there is a ton of difference between dragging a bass back to the cottage on a rope, and taking a quick 15 second shot of sturgeon.. :lol:

Good Fishing,
Justin