Kawartha Lakes Walleye Report!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Slayingm
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Kawartha Lakes Walleye Report!

Post by Slayingm »

Finally.... after a long wait for us 'Walleye Nuts' the season opened today. It was well worth the wait as we had a awesome time and boated 23 Walleye this morning. I had 2 guests out today who wanted to learn a few tricks on locating and catching some Walleye in as they own a home on the lake but previously had trouble catching any. I started the day fishing the 1st green weed flats off of 1 of the spawning area's where we worked jigs both in the weed flat and on the outside edge. After covering the area we had 3 Walleye for our efforts. Took off the headed for some shallow bays were I'd hoped the water was warmer and the weeds thick....yup water temps 4'F warmer then the main lake (64'F vs 60'). After working the deeper edges with little success I moved into the really shallow weedy water (2.5-4ft deep). We started catching Walleye like crazy including a couple of double headers. We released a number of the smaller fish and some big fish like this beauty spawned out female my client caught. :o
Twisters (3") on 1/4 oz. heads in Smoke, White, Black and heads in Orange, Black, White and Chartreuse worked well as did the Storm Finesse Minnows in the 4" sizes. We would snap the jigs up and let them fall keeping a keen eye on the line... as soon as you saw it jump we set the hook as the Walleye enhaled our jigs.

Here is a pic of your truly with a couple that I kept for a family dinner tonight. :P :P
We pulled the boat out at noon and I took this shot of my guests with some fish they caught and were looking forward to eating!.... nothing better then fresh pan fried Walleye fillets out of the cold water!!

Take care and Good Fish'n... Greg.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Great report Greg! Those clients sure look happy :P :P
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

nice job on the walleye, Slay!! :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Bottoms Up
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bottoms Up »

Another good report Greg. I never thought that Walleye would be caught in such shallow water in the weeds ! Can't wait until I hit the water and give the shallows a pounding.