Eyes on the Prior

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Eyes on the Prior

Post by Bobber »

Well Fishhawk's been getting after me for not posting reports of recent outings I've had....and yes he's right, time to start posting and get away from all this technical stuff. Thanks Mom. :lol:

Myself and a friend decided to go out last night for a few hours. We weren't quite sure where we were going until we got in the van and started driving. Should we go left towards Appleton, right to Arnprior, or straight to Constance Bay.

A quick telephone call to check the winds and weather for that evening and we quickly made our decision....right it was.....and in many other ways than the direction.

With a pail full of minnows, the sun shining and only a little chop, we headed out onto the Ottawa River from Madawaska. "Where should we go?"...."heck I don't know...let's try over there"....so we did.

Having had a little luck, but nothing to brag about, we decided to change spots and give it a go in a different place. Well glad we did. No sooner did we arrive at the spot we were looking at, when I had a hit......."One for me!" I shouted; a little dink, but none the less it was fun to catch.

Seemed that was all the luck I was going to have there for a while, while my buddy kept getting hit after hit after fish after fish. I was starting to get a complex. Switched jig head colors and weight, and that seemed to be the ticket. Just as things were heating up, we ran out of minnows. "We have to get more", so we headed out in search of the tackle shop located right on the water. We found it, scared the crap out of the guy running it cause I don't think he expected to have someone come in the back door, but finally got another 3 dozen minnows and headed back to the spot. :D

There were several boats of all shapes and sizes fishing the mouth last night. I think there was even one those boats that folds up nice like a suitcase or something. I'm not sure how safe I'd feel in that boat. I must be spoiled, but good to see other out there.

In the end, we caught lots of fish last night, nothing too big....but missed even more. I think my buddy missed two great fish...hit hard, hard hook set, lots of weight, and then nothing. :cry:

Here's couple of the better ones from last night.

All in all, lots of fun on a beautiful night. Can't beat that.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

hey bobber, what is the white marking on the tail of the walleye?? i noticed that too when i caught mine last night.
jbarker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jbarker »

All wallye hav white markings on there fins, sorta like brookies with the white leading edges on their fins.
Bottoms Up
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bottoms Up »

Glad you are back on the go with reports from your outings ! Nice EYES you got yourself there !
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

nice looking eyes there bobber. I mean the fish!
Keep fishin and keep postin
Norm
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

I sometimes refer to those white spots as the "YES ITS NOT A PIKE" marks.

That was our indication during the Pike/Walleye derby at Baitcasters. :D
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

lol cool thanks, nice fish!!
Fishquest
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishquest »

Great report Bobber. Thanks for posting it.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Bobber wrote:I sometimes refer to those white spots as the "YES ITS NOT A PIKE" marks.

That was our indication during the Pike/Walleye derby at Baitcasters. :D
Just to be clear - Bobber and I can tell the difference between a pike and a walleye based on other features other than the white spot on the tail. :lol:

When Bobber says "YES ITS NOT A PIKE" we will have been fishing for walleye and catching pike instead. Ya hook into something again and when you feel that its a good weight you start to pray "Please don't be a pike please don't be a pike. Even as the fish gets close and you start to make out its outline in the water, it can still be difficult to identify it as a pike or walleye. But then finally you catch a glimpse of white and you say "YES I THINK I SAW THE WHITE DOT!" and then "YES ITS NOT A PIKE" and then GET THE NET!
:lol:
In the Ottawa the same experience applies to catfish when you're walleye fishing... PLEASE DON'T BE A CATFISH PLEASE DON'T BE A CATFISH. :lol:
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Nice 'eyes Bobber!
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Post by Mossman »

There were several boats of all shapes and sizes fishing the mouth last night. I think there was even one those boats that folds up nice like a suitcase or something. I'm not sure how safe I'd feel in that boat. I must be spoiled, but good to see other out there.
Hey Bobber.. yup, you're spoiled :) The porta-bote drew lots of looks and comments that night. You weren't the only one wondering what it was. It's a great little boat, and very safe for one or two people if you respect it's limitations (as you'd have to do with any boat).

See ya on the water.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Hey Mossman,

Were you there? Didn't realize, how'd you do?
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Mossman
Participant
Participant

Post by Mossman »

Yup, that was me and canoedude in the portabote. Your partner recognized me from work.

We found it pretty tough as it's not an area we normally fish. The mouth of the river wasn't producing so we made our way over to the mouth of the miss.. and it wasn't giving us any fish either. Caught a few incidentals but ended the day with nearly the same amount of bait we came into it with. Nice evening to be on the water though.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Mmmmmmmm...... :D