Manual Ice auger pricing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Manual Ice auger pricing

Post by matcole »

I have never had the priveledge to ice fish and am looking at buying a auger. I found this one, Normark Ice Fishing Auger 6 inch. Has new Normark blades as well
$20 is this good, or should i go to a bigger blade?
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

good ..

Post by D-mo »

Depends on what your fishing .. mind you I have pulled a fairly large fish through a 6" hole with no problem and never lost any at the entry point.
Others may disagree .. but if you look at it ..your just beginning the sport. The new blades should cut like butter ... so it sounds like a good deal to me ... check the folding point in the handle tho... as it is the first spot to show wear. ...see you on the ice .

D-mo
franklauzon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Huge Difference

Post by franklauzon »

Hey,

I have both a 6, and an 8, as well as a gas 8, and I never use the 8"...

The 6" hole has been find for pulling any fish I've caught...

The 6" goes through a lot faster than an 8 inch will, which means you can punch more holes without getting tired.

I would avoid a manual 8.
mosquito
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mosquito »

8" manual auger is OK only for ice less than 12" thick. With 6" you can
cut holes all day long without tiring.
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Looking forward to seeing you on the ice Matcolecat :)
Whatever size auger you buy just make sure it is a fin bore and not a swede bore! The Fin bore has triangle shaped blades and, the swede bore has the rectangle shaped blades...
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

I got a 8 inch MORA made in sweden(hand)and its great but i would have gone to 6 inch..if i had none...the extra work that little 2 inch extra,,, :roll: ..but after 12 inch its gas time for me,,,,,, :wink:

hi mosquitos....even wit a 6 inch,,,,,,,try to go down montreal area you are allowd 10 hole,,,,and you move a bit.... :shock: ..

its end off march,there 36inch off ice,,,,, :shock: ...

so make lets say more then 20 hole off 36 inch off ice all by hand..... :roll: ...you gone to have a good night sleep,,,,, :lol:

more then 12 inch and move a lot ,make a lot off hole,,,,,,,,,,i would go wit a gas auger.

unles you got budys that have one and is going wit you,,, :roll: :wink: .

but hey.if you do them all by hand,,you got good exercise i gues.... 8)

joco
Last edited by joco on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

A Fin Bor model will allow two anglers to each put a hand on the top handle of the auger in order to make drilling an 8" hole easier through deep ice.

The other model you may have mentioned comes with that off-set handle which makes it impossible for two anglers to assist in the drilling.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

6 inch hole is more than enough.

It's the old arguement with augers too. Many people want 10 inchers when 8's will do.

But the bigger hole can be nice :!:

This sounds like a weird conversation :lol: :lol:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

6'' Swede-Bore is all you need :wink: I bought a new set of blades for mine before ice out last year and she cut like a hot knife through butter :roll: :lol:
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Tip-up have you compared the two side by side? I own both a 6 inch swede and a 6inch fin and I definitly prefer the fin bore but thats just me... BUT since I picked up the 10inch normark gas auger neither one of the manuals have gotten any use :lol: :lol:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Getnjiggywithit,

I have used a Fin-Bore, but have not compared the two side by side. Guess I did not really notice a difference? I have seeen the Normark in action before, can't beat those Husqvarna engines :D
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

Someone mentionned it before.... I think the most important detail is the allignment of the handles. DO NOT get one with off-set handles, it takes twice as much work and is a lot harder to keep straight.

BAD AUGER Design
=
|
|
\_______
\
|
|
____/
/
|
|
===
===
===

GOOD AUGER Design

=
|
|
\_____
\
|
|
_____/
/
|
|
===
===
===

Even if it's a good deal, the other handle is so uncomfortable, it will limit the number of holes you can dig in a day. (SORE ARMS AND SHOULDERS) With the good design, you can just lean your sholder on the top handle and use one or both arms on the other.

As for diameter, I personally use an 8" but I had been using a 6" for years.(the 8" was on sale) As long as you have an idea of how far from the hole your fish is when retrieving, you can avoid any misshaps at the hole. Just be carefull when your monster is close, pike like to open their mouths right at the hole sometimes.

Have fun,

FromTheNorth
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

LAME!! I spent a lot of time trying to use backslashes and equal signes to make a design. Now it looks like I just mashed my keyboard a couple of times.

I hope you get the idea.
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

Well, i have never been so my arms are going to ach no matter what lol
FromTheNorth
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FromTheNorth »

:lol: Yup! :lol: