BOQ 10/25-26/2006

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

BOQ 10/25-26/2006

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Left Ottawa with my fishing buddy Joe at 5.00am, stopped for breakfast along the way, and arrived at Picton about 9.00 am. Launched the boat and headed east of ferry as advised by Bender. Put out two in-line boards with Mann's stretched 20+ and Reef Runner Deep Diver at distance suggested in new Precision Trolling book to get lures to depth indicated on fish finder. Also set up 2 downrigger rods with spoons, and started trolling. Nothing for the first hour or so, when port planner board was moved to rear of boat. Grabbed rod and noticed heavy additional weight, set hook and handed rod to Joe so I could control boat. He finally was able to brig fish to net and first fish of day became a PB for him 7lbs 14 oz. We continued fishing in same area for rest of day and boated two more all over 5lbs. Called it a day about 4.00pm and heated back to Picton to check in at Tip of Bay hotel. Next morning parking lot looked like Spanish Armada had arrived, and met a few guys from this board. Decided we would go for breakfast before heading out and didn't leave until about 8.30 am. Headed to lighthouse area, but when we were unable to mark many fish there, headed back to just east of ferry and started trolling with similar setup. Were able to hook four more fish but could only boat 2 of them as they were not nearly as agressive as yesterday, and were only nibbling at baits. Wind picked up in pm and when last board showed action, Joe was at helm and wind pushed boat around until line rubbed on downrigger cable and snapped leaving in line board to float away. Other rods were quickly reeled in and we began chasing down missing board. Soon spotted board, pulled it in with boat-hook and noticed fish was still on ---- Hand lining time ---- same as I did years ago on lower Detroit River ---- end result ---- got my board back, boated fish and got lure back. Adventures not yet over. We set up again with just boards, no downriggers, but wind made boat control extremely difficult, and once again boat did a quick turn resulting in both lines getting tangled and cut off in prop. We decided to call it quits, shut off trolling motor, tilted it up and noticed line caught on propeller. Grabbed boat hook, pulled gently on line, prop spun in reverse releasing line. Pulled in rest of line and recovered both lures. More adventures in one pm than even Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn even though were a couple of old gray beards and not a couple of young kids. End result - many more happy memories which is what I think fishing is all about. A special thanks to Bender for steering me in the right direction on this trip. I'll now try to post some pictures.

PS Sorry I was able to get pictures gallery, but not to this post. I need help !!!
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Nice fish ...Man I can't wait till the weekend :D
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Whats with that ..it should work????? :shock:

Let me check it again

Nope not working ....beats me .....something wrong with the gallery???
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

Good report.

The fish don't come easy.
It is a lot of work to get a few fish, and being at the mercy of the darn wind.
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

E-Eyes -

Great report. Glad those issues (lines in prop) were viewed as an adventure. Next time it happens to me I'll be sure to remember to view it as an adventure.
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Hi Muskymatt - I don't know how you did it, but you just posted my first pictures to this board. Thanks a million. Now if only I can learn how to do it - I had no trouble loading them to the gallery, but couldn't get the to my post.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Nice walleye EE :wink:

Hope to see you at Petrie this winter!

-Andrew