Ice Fishing Hut Technical Question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ice Fishing Hut Technical Question

Post by steve2112 »

Hello Everyone

I just finished rebuilding my hut. I put a tin roof on it and changed the floor plan. My hut is 8 feet by 8 feet and sits on two skis inset 2 feet from the walls, the joyces are 5 4x4's. Anyways, I want to have 4 or maybe 5 holes cut in the floor.

My question is what is a cheap solution to create a tube from the floor to the ice to stop snow from covering the hole and obviously making the hut cold? I want approxiamately 12 inch diamater holes in the floor. I thought about buckets but the problem is that they are wider at the top than bottom. This will cause problems when I add more blocks to jack up the hut. I was told by a friend that plastic plumbing pipe would be very expensive.

What have other people done?

Thanks

Steve
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bts »

Sona tubes
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

....what BTS said. :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Sona Tubes is definately a great Idea :D What I did last year was got a bunch of cardboard boxes went out with an exacto blade a hammer and some roofing nails, and basically sheeted around the hut right to the ice with the cardboard.... the whole underside(floor and joists) of your hut is completely covered from wind and snow build-up! :)

If ya can't get a visual from my explanation I'll draw something :lol:

Cheers,

Rich
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Check the construction sites out. There is lots of discarded water pipe in lengths that will suite your need.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

MonsterRelease wrote:Sona Tubes is definately a great Idea :D What I did last year was got a bunch of cardboard boxes went out with an exacto blade a hammer and some roofing nails, and basically sheeted around the hut right to the ice with the cardboard.... the whole underside(floor and joists) of your hut is completely covered from wind and snow build-up! :)

If ya can't get a visual from my explanation I'll draw something :lol:

Cheers,

Rich
That is a better Idea Steve.. If the tubes (or whatever you choose) freeze into the ice, you have nowhere throw the ice chippings when you re-open the whole, except out the door. Without tubes or anything you can just throw the chipping back under the hut somewhere..

Or..

Just be sure to take your tubes out each time you leave the hut to prevent them from freezing in.
bassboy19
Participant
Participant

Post by bassboy19 »

arent 5 gallon buckets like equal the whole way down?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Be very careful just throwing your ice chips under your shack....you'll have a hell of a time getting it unfrozen... :lol:

Believe me....we lived it... :x

Our gas auger was the main culprit...they throw a ton of water and it has nowhere to go but around your skis....

We have dumped our skis altogether and mounted it permanently to a trailer....we plan to use sona tubes as well...

Good Luck...

RJ
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

RJ wrote:Be very careful just throwing your ice chips under your shack....you'll have a hell of a time getting it unfrozen... :lol:

Believe me....we lived it... :x

Our gas auger was the main culprit...they throw a ton of water and it has nowhere to go but around your skis....

We have dumped our skis altogether and mounted it permanently to a trailer....we plan to use sona tubes as well...

Good Luck...

RJ
True..

A good way to be prepared for the problem is make sure you have your ski's or runner's screwed on. In the event that hut does get frozen in (been there as well), you can just unscrew the runners. This also makes chipping the runners out a lot easier because you can get to both sides of them.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

IMO clearance is your main concern... If those ski's are at least 2" off the ice, you should have no problems, as I've been trouble free for two years now :P .... I'd also like to add that clearing the auger slush(term???) from around the skis is an excellent Idea as well :) Not knockin any lads that did get frozen in... I'm just lucky :wink:

Cheers,

Rich
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

A good way to be prepared for the problem is make sure you have your ski's or runner's screwed on. In the event that hut does get frozen in (been there as well), you can just unscrew the runners. This also makes chipping the runners out a lot easier because you can get to both sides of them.
This an excellent Idea as well :)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

We had ours raised about 3 inches up....but not being diligent in keeping slush away from the skis did us in...

Not this year... :wink: We now have a portable 8X8 shack...

RJ
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Ahhh... Goin' Mobile :wink: I was thinkin the trailer route but opted for Ski's again :) I think it was the whole tire removal procedure that ruined me!!

Rich
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

We were up on 2x6 ski's when we got frozen in... Problem was a fast melt and a quick freeze... Sometime clearance just doesn't cut it either...

Mobile is the way to go!!

:-)
steve2112
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by steve2112 »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the Info. I am going to try Sona Tubes. I will pull them out after fishing and put back the floor pieces. I Plan on jacking my hut up and putting it on cinder blocks. I used Cinder blocks 2 years ago and it never froze over the top of the block. Plus I plan moving the hut quite often, so this should help stop freezing the skis in.

Cheers
Steve