Bullhead Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Big-Ty
Participant
Participant

Bullhead Fishing

Post by Big-Ty »

Heading up to open the trailer the first week of May this year...
With Pike and Bass season closed, that doesn't leave me with a lot of options.
Was thinking of giving Bullhead a go, but don't know the first thing about them.
Anybody know of any good websites that could aid me with my research?
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Don't know of any good sites. My experiences with bullheads is usually in April on slow moving rivers and creeks....the more stained or muddy the water, the better. A lindy rig style set up with a piece of worm or pencil or slip floats is about as hi-tech as i've gotten. When you do find em they will keep ya busy :lol: Don't forget the hemostats or pliers. GOOD LUCK!
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Are you going to be fishing them in white lake? I've seen some big bullheads come out of there.

Anyways, I usually fish for them in the evening and through the night hours. Peak bite in the summer is usually around midnight but in the spring they will bite at any time. The rig is simple: worm or cutbait fished off the bottom with a heavy sinker to hold everything in place.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Foolish question which I think I know but what is a bullhead.
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by High Noon »

My wife says I'm bullheaded. :) :) :)

High Noon
pikeman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeman »

In Layman's term Almonte you looking at a catfish.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

The good old BARBOTTE
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

That is what I thought...Thanks. :oops:
Big-Ty
Participant
Participant

Post by Big-Ty »

Thanks for the tips guys!
I guess I'll just have to keep digging...

Wolfman- Yes, I'll be fishing in White Lake. I've caught some real dandy's there before. Actually, there used to be a group of people that would come up and catch literally hundreds of them. Not sure if they still do or not... It was pretty cool to see the assembly line they had for cleaning them all... (I guess dissasembly line would probably be a more appropriate term).
OTRA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OTRA »

Chicken livers fished off the bottom work well.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Hey Big-Ty for bullheads like the other peoples here said just put a hook or 2 depending a sinker and some worms and your garanteed to catch some. If you got a lantern bring it with you and stay during the night and youll catch some like crazy. But like they where saying in the spring you could almost catch them any time during the day with early in the morning or in the evening is the prime time for them. Me I spend some days targeting them on the Nation river. If never your interested to come and fish for them with me send me a pm and I could arrange something. I just cant wait for bullheads to start biting.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

baz fish wrote:Hey Big-Ty for bullheads like the other peoples here said just put a hook or 2 depending a sinker and some worms and your garanteed to catch some. If you got a lantern bring it with you and stay during the night and youll catch some like crazy. But like they where saying in the spring you could almost catch them any time during the day with early in the morning or in the evening is the prime time for them. Me I spend some days targeting them on the Nation river. If never your interested to come and fish for them with me send me a pm and I could arrange something. I just cant wait for bullheads to start biting.
Nice! My biggest bullhead came out of the nation river in the Plantangenet area.
bananaboat
Participant
Participant

Post by bananaboat »

It's going back a few years, but I used to have a cottage on White Lake. My neighbor would laugh at me and my buddies when we'd spend all of opening weekend on the water to catch 2 or 3 walleye. He'd drink all day with a couple of friends and then head out to mouth of Broad Brook at sunset. I don't think they even used hooks, just gobs of worms knotted onto a string tied to a broom handle. They'd fill the boat with "mudpout" (Winchester-speak for bullhead) and the production line would commence the next morning when they sobered up. If you camp at the Cove it's probably worth the run up to give it a try.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

backtroller wrote:It's going back a few years, but I used to have a cottage on White Lake. My neighbor would laugh at me and my buddies when we'd spend all of opening weekend on the water to catch 2 or 3 walleye. He'd drink all day with a couple of friends and then head out to mouth of Broad Brook at sunset. I don't think they even used hooks, just gobs of worms knotted onto a string tied to a broom handle. They'd fill the boat with "mudpout" (Winchester-speak for bullhead) and the production line would commence the next morning when they sobered up. If you camp at the Cove it's probably worth the run up to give it a try.

hey backtroller,

if it's not a secret, which part of the lake is broad brook in?