Need prescription sunglasses...with good polarization

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FishToLive
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Need prescription sunglasses...with good polarization

Post by FishToLive »

I need to get polarized prescription sunglasses...

Obviously glasses that are good for fishing....

Let me know what you have and how you like them.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

my last two pairs of prescription polarized glasses have come from Lens Crafters. My first pair came from Hakim Optical.

Let me tell you, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Each pair of my glasses have went up in cost.

My first pair, from Hakim, cost about 150 total....and they were ok....they did the job.....but nothing great.

My second pair, first from lens crafters, was the first that i'd actually call "polarized"....after putting this pair on, i started to second guess if my first pair was polarized at all......this pair cost me $225.

I used the second pair for over five years, then finally they bit the dust......Was more than happy with them.

So for my current pair i went back to lens crafters, but asked for their best polarization to be added. $180 on top of the cost of the glasses/frames.

Total $310.

This pair is freaking incredible. Yes you can see underwater, better than my other two pairs...however, the biggest advantage to this pair is you can see water colour changes......its amazing....i often dont believe my eyes, and take the glasses off, and see nothing....put them back on, and its like colours start appearing in the water......shades of brown in muddy water, shades of greeny blue in clear water.....

I guess you get what you pay for....

The other option is selection a high quality pair of Polarized Glasses, then send your prescription to the manufacturer of the glasses......many go this route.....i like going to a glasses place....i trust the quality of the prescription much more.....

hope this helps.

Steve
FishToLive
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishToLive »

Wow, great info Steve.

What brand is your last pair of sunglasses?
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Four Eyed Fishing - Join the club

Post by Seaweed »

I have used polarized glasses, and clip on polarized sunshades. I have tried them all. I think the worst thing about this was that sunlight was always allowed in from the sides and you didn't get the real effect of shades.

I then found a product called "Fitover" sunglasses http://www.fitovers.com/. I now know the difference. These shade go over your normal glasses and totally block off the sun and allow you to view everything polarized. I love these and they only cost me $70 bucks. Very strong and durable. I have the amber shades. I have had mine for three years and they have been through a lot and have not scratched or broken dispite some tough times.

Paddletales and a few other shops can fix you up. 8)
MuskieStalker1
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieStalker1 »

I know that Blue water Optics are available in percription . If you have any problems finding info drom me a PM
Kert
:wink:
(Big Bass Daddy)
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

fitovers

Post by (Big Bass Daddy) »

Hi Seaweed, thanks for posting the link to the web site of Fitovers Eyewear.

I myself unfortunately need to wear my glasses and have been looking for something like this for quite a while, here is my question;

You indicated that you have the beige pair “how good is it to be able to see in the water?

Years ago before I had to wear prescription glasses I wore fishing sunglasses so I'm looking for something that I will be able to see the structure in the water is beige the best color you have found for fishing? I know that depending on either sunny or cloudy days the color of the lenses work best one way or another but in general conditions is beige OK? If so I will go and get a pair.

Thanks

BBD 8)
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Seaweed.....I found Fitovers glasses at LeBarons...here is the link to the page....are these the same ones you bought ($18.84 CDN)???
http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp07/ou ... triker.pdf
Mr. T.
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mr. T. »

Have you guys thought about wearing contacts and non prescription sunglasses?

If I remember correctly, it cost me $120 for a 6 month supply of biweekly's. It seems expensive but you don't have to wear them all the time, only when you need them. I was able to stretch mine out to last about a month.

You can also buy daily contacts.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Fitovers

Post by Seaweed »

The Fitovers go over your normal glasses.

I find the amber color great for seeing stuff under the water in sunny conditions. I think I will buy another pair for the Lebaron price in the grey just to see if that works in cloudy conditions better than the amber.

At that price why even think about expensive solutions :wink:
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

contacts

Post by boogie »

Hey Mr. T., I wear contacts presently, however we all know that with age our vision seems to go. Therefore, I find it better to wear the glasses so I can remove them whem I'm retying.

Boogie
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

contacts

Post by boogie »

Hey Mr. T., I wear contacts presently, however we all know that with age our vision seems to go. Therefore, I find it better to wear the glasses so I can remove them whem I'm retying.

Boogie
Poisson On !
boogie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

contacts

Post by boogie »

Boogie
Poisson On !
(Big Bass Daddy)
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by (Big Bass Daddy) »

Just to add my 2 cents to the comment of wearing contacts, yes i would be more than happy to do so but I have bi-focals and unfortunately that is not an option and the fact that I have only one good eye I was told do not wear contact because if I damaged the only good eye I have....well it will be lights out for ever. Wearing glasses at this point is not for a fashion statement but a fact that without them you cant see a dam thing.

Oh well

BBD 8)
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

I have the 20$ Fitovers as posted from LeBaron. I have only used them a couple times. No complaints so far.

They do get a little heavy on the nose after a while, but until I can save up and get a real pair of RX sunglasses they work just fine.

I use the amber ones, little how do I say... feminine looking with the tourtuse shell finish, but I don't care when out fishing.

The wrap around offer good protection from hooks too. Just a note however I see no indication on the label for these fitovers that they are UVA or UVB blocking. I have that built into my normal glasses but for those that don't you might only want to use them as a short term solution.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

mdej....the LeBaron catalogue says 100% UVA and UVB protection....