Cold Front Ottawa River Fishing (Pic Heavy)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Cold Front Ottawa River Fishing (Pic Heavy)

Post by jig head »

Another great weekend went by and although the weather was not the best, fishing was superb. Cold and windy weather made it impossible to get on the river at some points. Rain also was heavy at times. Despite that, we made the best of the few days.

Unlike the past few weeks, largemouth bass came out of hiding and were on fire. Smallmouth were more finicky and were few and far between.

The first night up at the cottage we fished the shoreline our cottage is on and stayed close to home. There is a sweet little stretch that always has a bass or two on it. First cast to the back corner of a dock this guy whacked a shaky head rig.

Next morning I awoke to an awesome looking sky. Water was calm and I could see fish jumping everywhere. It was a lot cooler. The day still looked very promising.

A straight ride to one of our many spots we had planned to fish took only 15 minutes. We started casting into the timber and many rock piles with finesse worms and soft-plastic jerkbaits. Right away the fish made there presence. A few picture worthy fish and off to the next spot where we knew the fish would make there way in the afternoon.

On our way we stopped by some good looking fish holding structure. Decided we would toss a cast or two and was rewarded.

Pike were everywhere in the next spot. Burning spinnerbaits over weeds is how most of the fish were caught. Weeding out the pike from bass made it harder to get the target species. 3 pike for every bass was how it went.

And a nice little suprise too while working a rock point.

The area fished is pretty prestine. Rarley do we see other boats around (SnagThis great to see you in the creek mouth) and some of the spots bass anglers pray to find. One tree we pull 5 largemouth from every time we pitch into it. We call the ''V'' because of the shape of it. We pretty much name just about every spot and fallen tree we fish LOL.

A single downside to the weekend was a massive pike that swiped a tube right at the side of the boat. Setting the hook almost immediatly I snapped a Shimano Crucial in half. Guessed him at around 15 pounds. Should get a new rod in the mail soon.

The nights cool and so were the mornings LOL. It made for some great scenery shots. I don't know what the heck that black dot is in the bottom of all my pictures is. Seems to only happen a few.

Fishing ''The Flat'', one of our largemouth spots we were able to pick up a few fish on spinnerbaits and senkos style plastics.

A few more healthy bass

We caught well over 70 bass during the weekend with some real beautys in the 3-4lbs range and some bigger. Action was non-stop. We decided to fish some timber before leaving. The spot we chose is known for plenty of action. We knew we would be able to get into a few more before leaving. Spinnerbaits and weighted texas rigged lizards put the most bass in the boat.

The weekend ended to fast. So did the summer. A few weeks left and the pens with will replace rods. Another fantastic weekend at the cottage went by, I cant wait for next weekend!!

Tight lines

Anthony

OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

You guys found the hot spots! :lol: GJ
Coyote
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Coyote »

Another fine time at the cottage eh boys?? the fish must be shaking everytime they hear the sound of your boat coming their way.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Anthony,

Great shots and a great weekend for sure. Congrats on the good time and the photos. Some of the bass look like they've been gorging themselves. Big bellies for sure....and an Eye to boot.

Thanks for sharing. The scenery shots are great.

Cheers,
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Read Cold Front and pic heavy :? , wow what a great day.

Would love to fish there when the fish are really turned on.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Seems like there was no wind at that end of the Ottawa, I tried to get out with my tinny on Sat. morning and I turned around.(Man I need a bigger boat)
Last edited by Wallyboss on Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Dan,

The wind blew strong. We had to fish bays and smaller rivers that branch off of the main river to find shelter from it. Never threw spinnerbaits that much until this weekend. Conditions were perfect! Thanks for the comments!
Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

You guys spend way to much time fishing :lol:

Great report AGAIN :!:
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Great job guys. Fine looking fish.
Spoonman
Participant
Participant

Post by Spoonman »

Dudes. Brilliant multispecies work, good on you.
Rider wrote:You guys spend way to much time fishing :lol:
Is there such thing as "too much time fishing"? ;)
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Now that's a mixed bag weekend!!
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

Brothers - amazing! What else can you say?

Thanks taking the time to post all of the pictures. I know that you guys have been out there pounding them and its great to get a glimpse of the action.
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

awesome report as always guys! take more pics next time would ya :lol:
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

I bet the brothers just can't wait to fish after another cold-front again. Landsakes! Some real nice fish caught after that whopper of a front. We experienced the same thing with scattered fish, but persistence pays off doesn't it!? Life is good!

tight lines,

ratsotail
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

awesome weekend

Post by Big Jim »

Hey Guy's, I'm happy you two weren't around when I fished tournaments.

Looks like you really put it all together for the weekend 8) ...well done.

BIG JIM