Battery placement in a 14 ft boat....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishtraks
Participant
Participant

Battery placement in a 14 ft boat....

Post by Fishtraks »

I bought my first boat (a 14 footer, tiller ) this past August. I do a lot of fishing by myself (no one else in the boat). With the trolling motor on the transom, the battery next to the transom, and my weight, all in the rear (and with the main motor angle adjusted as far as it will go), I still have to sit forward to keep the beast from porpoising. Someone asked why I don't put my battery up front. Can this be done.? If so what gauge wire would I use as an extention to run from the front. Any help would be appreciated. Regards, Fishtraks...
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

To go 14 ft, you probably want 6 ga wire.

A much cheaper alternative is to get a couple of those 40L round blue water jugs and place them in the nose of the boat. Each jug weighs about 40kg (90 lbs) when full of water. Just dump 'em out when you are done for the day. Works great.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

And extend the gas line so that you can put your gas tank up front. My battery in my 14ftr was on the floor right at the transom for the shortest electrical wires possible.
Fish'n Technish'n
Participant
Participant

Post by Fish'n Technish'n »

Hey Fishtraks,
ALL of the above will work in your favour. I would also look into getting a "wing" for the motor. I used to have a similar boat to what you describe, same problems. I added a DOELFIN to the anti cavitation plate and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Got up on plane in an instant & stayed there much longer and it was also much more stable in turns or chop. They can be found at boat stores etc. I got mine for $10 at a yard sale!!

FT
Frazman
Participant
Participant

Post by Frazman »

Fishtraks,

What size is your outboard motor... Maybe it's not big enough to get your
boat up on plane. A 9.9 should get you up on plane.. 15 HP or more would
drive it down the lake..

I would keep your battery in the back... put gas tank or water jug up
front.. The battery will last longer in the back, it won't get bounced around
like it will in the front.

Dave
Splake_Hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Splake_Hunter »

I agree with Frazman. I have a small aluminum. When I'm out by myself, I put a full 5 gallon pail in the nose and the gas tank up front. Even with me the outboard (15hp), trolling motor and battery at the back, it works great and I plane out no problem.
Fishtraks
Participant
Participant

Thanks for the input...

Post by Fishtraks »

Thank you for the input folks...now all I have to do is decide which route I'm willing to take. Another answere I found was the Nauticus Smart Tabs NAUTICUSINC.COM . They may be a little over-kill, as they list a 20 HP boat as smallest to mount them on. I'm running a 15 HP 4-stroke. The water barrels in the bow certainly look like the easiest to implement, but I hate the thought of adding weight to trim. Anyhow, thanks again, I have all winter to decide. Regards, Fishtraks. :D
Frazman
Participant
Participant

Re: Thanks for the input...

Post by Frazman »

Fishtraks wrote: I'm running a 15 HP 4-stroke. The water barrels in the bow certainly
look like the easiest to implement, but I hate the thought of adding weight to trim. Anyhow, thanks again, I have all winter to decide. Regards, Fishtraks.
:D
It's not a Long shaft motor on a short transom is it.. just wondering.

Nauticus Smart Tabs, if the motor and boat was set up right... You should never need to install a tab on a small motor.

Should check you propeller out.. Try a different Pitch, it could be a higher pitch then you need.

Good Luck

Fraz

troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I'm running a 2006 15HP 2 stroke Merc on a 14', 68" beam Smokercraft with a 40lb thrust transom mount Minn Kota, 70lb deep cycle battery, 25L gas tank and my 205lbs of weight all in the back and I have never had issues with "porpoising".......I have the manual trim bar on the inner most setting (closest to the transom) so if you look at the top of your motor the back of it is leaning towards the water......
eddie43
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by eddie43 »

as opposed to water jugs in the front, when I used to use a 14ft tinny, I always had a cinder (sp?) block in the bow as counter balance, that I also used as an anchor when needed. kill two birds with one stone sorta speak.