I walked on the ice!!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

I walked on the ice!!!!

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

OK. so.... as you know im going ice fishing tommorow on a bay from the ottowa. in gatineau

i went with my weiders @ mclaurin bay only to see that i wasent the only one that was ''testing'' the ice!!!

there was plenty of wholes and one guy crossed the whole bay i saw the tracks... :shock:

thats me putting my hand in the water... found out there was 6 inches of ice ... half and half tho

3 inches was white slushy yet verry frozen ice

and as we all know 3 inches of black ice... (the best)

Heres a Detailed pic of the ice ... What do you guys think...Is tommorw The BIG DAY! :D

almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Ice is easy to walk on...try walking on water :lol: ...I would think for me it is still a little early for hardwater but they say 4-5" of good ice will support a skidoo so 3" should support a human.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

24/7 ........you said you put on your waders and checked out the ice. :? :

what were the waders for :?: :?: just in case you fell through the ice

the waders would fill with water and you would sink to the bottom quicker :shock: :shock: :shock:
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

there's been lots of posts on this site warning people to being careful and take precautions on first ice, yet we still have guys that want to take chances walking out and checking ice thickness/conditions wearing waders :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ............wearing waders on ice, in water depths over your head can be compared to wearing cement boots!!!!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:............wearing waders on ice, in water depths over your head can be compared to wearing cement boots!!!!
.....ya got that right Steve!!

Dude.....WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!!!
:hs :hs :hs :hs
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Probably thinking the guy taking the pics better run and grab me if I fall in :lol:
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

almontefisher wrote:Probably thinking the guy taking the pics better run and grab me if I fall in :lol:
Hey AF....ever try pulling dead weight (like an anchor) but make this, let's say 160lbs of anchor out of the water?????..this really isn't a :lol: matter.....
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Perhaps a little tip if nothing else...yes. Waders + water over the waders = not a good thing should you go through. Geez, I never even thought of that. That might have been me out there thinking I was being smart just in case I went in...my jeans would stay dry.

24/7, thanks for sharing the conditions of the ice. I've seen the same on another body of water...some good black ice and white stuff on the top. I'd have to think it's good to go personally, but wouldn't hesitate to give it a little more time. 3 inches is OK, but really pushing the limit in my mind. P.S. don't worry about the waders mistake....we all make them.

Cheers,
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

The pictures might seem like I'm in 15 feet + of water

Yet it fooled you guys good!!! :D

Beneath the ice lies no more than 3 feet of water!!! :lol:

the lesson here is!!

waders + thin ice + 5 feet water = :shock:

thanx for the heads up!
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Bobber wrote:Perhaps a little tip if nothing else...yes. Waders + water over the waders = not a good thing should you go through. Geez, I never even thought of that. That might have been me out there thinking I was being smart just in case I went in...my jeans would stay dry.
I guess that's the beauty of having sites like this..... for learning and sharing info :wink: :wink:
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

The guy that was before you testing the ice was me my dear 24/7 :wink:

I was there today at 12:15 pm and I was also there a few days ago for the same reason.

Rsults....2 1/2 incches of black ice...on the black ice we have 1 iches of sluch (wet snow)...on the wet snow we have 3 inches of wite ice (some places don't have layer of sluch.

I also went to see Roger Schryer today (of Baie Clement) and he said that the ice was not good but doable at the moment for ice fishing....he said that the snow was very heavy on the 2 1/2 inches of black ice and that the black ice would't hold for long.

Tips for tomorrow if you are planning some ice fishing...bring a long and solid rope just in case.and don't venture to far out.
JayB
Participant
Participant

Post by JayB »

the waders would fill with water and you would sink to the bottom quicker
Hmmm, although waders would not help you if you fell through the ice.

The thought that you sink with waders full of water is a bit of an old wives tale, somewhat.

I have taken several water safety courses over the years and it has been reinforced that falling in water with waders can actually keep you afloat rather than sink.

If you are wearing a properly fitted 'wading belt' waders can help you float by trapping air in the legs of the waders.

Try it some time. [/quote]
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Hey JayB....you've mentioned that waders full of water is a bit of an old wives tale, somewhat.
If you are wearing a properly fitted 'wading belt' waders can help you float by trapping air in the legs of the waders
Some people may not know what a 'wading belt' is...
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Fishing 24/7 wrote:The pictures might seem like I'm in 15 feet + of water

Yet it fooled you guys good!!! :D

Beneath the ice lies no more than 3 feet of water!!! :lol:

the lesson here is!!
24/7......When you are posting ice conditions, you should also post what the depth of water you are in...yup...you fooled us good there lad :!: ...I could have also made a report on "walking on ice" on the shoreline here on the Ottawa R which is only 2' deep and has 5" of ice....what good is that???...who is going to fish there???...there are many people that view these forums for info....I'd hate to read about someone that saw your post and thought there was enough ice to go out on in 10' of water and went through the ice...
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

A wading belt is just a wide belt that get strapped snugly onto the outside of a set of waders. The belt will prevent the water from pouring into the waders but your feet will get a soaker if you are under for more than a few seconds.

I use a pouch-style inflatable life vest as a wading belt when I am out fly fishing. It keeps the water out and might save my butt if I fall in some strong current or step into a deep hole.