Who uses these lures?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Who uses these lures?

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Hey everyone!

I'm doing a little tackle-box tidying. Hook sharpening, reorganizing and what-not, you know the deal.

Every-year I come across a bunch of lures that never seem to find their way into my regular rotation, I either picked them up on a whim, got them as I gift or... well...they just sort of appeared

I don't use them mainly because I don't have much confidence in them, I don't have confidence in them because I don't use them...It's a vicious cycle... :roll:

Lend me some confidence people, let me know if you use these baits! Have you had any success with any of these? Should I actually start carrying them with me or should I just stick 'em back into the MISC. box and forget about them until this time next year?

#1: Cicada vibration bait

I've got several of these things in perch, silver ranging from 1/16oz to 1oz

#2: Chatterbait

I know guys in the states won some tourneys on these things but... wow, weird concept. I just can't make myself throw one instead of a standard jig, or a spinnerbait...Should I?

#3: Berkley Blade Dancer

I have versions of these with the skirts and without. The minnow portion looks good, but the whole assembly just looks odd... Any thoughts?

#4: Kicktail minnow

Can anyone say Banjo minnow? Maybe Flying lure?

I got a couple from a client, haven't tied one on yet... Has anyone used one?

:?: :?: :?:

Thanks for your responses. If anyone else has an interesting lure they want info on, go ahead and post it in here.

Best fishes,

Matt
matcole
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by matcole »

i remember the flying lure! not one bite on it!
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D cicada I have 1..used for ice fishing perch. Chatter bait I have 1..never caught a fish on it. Blade dancers I got as a gift..they are still in the package.. :lol: Don't have the 4th one..
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

SALMON wrote::D cicada I have 1..used for ice fishing perch.
How'd it do?
GrandRiverReaper
Participant
Participant

Post by GrandRiverReaper »

Wow, what a selection of baits. With no offence to the Native American's that use this site, but I believe in the saying "that it's not the arrow, it's the Indian". So throwing the chatter bait into dodgy water might produce some unexpected glee. In my case, I've tossed husky jerks into floating pine needles (after a storm) , and nailed huge smallies.

In relation to your topic, I have some weird lures(like the Rebel Sonar) that I thought would have no chance, but bought them anyway; usually when the bite has slowed in August. But was suprised to see them working wonders when Pete (I can't think of his last name) was slamming smallies with Frank Viola on Lake Erie. Quite and interesting thread you've started here!

Best fishes and keep it reel,

GRR
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

The closest I came to the Cicada was when I purchased several Silver Buddys about 10yrs ago to see how they stacked up aginst the BPS 3/4oz Strata Spoon. The Strata spoon is one of my favorite lures that I use on the St. Lawrence. There was no comparison. Obviously Billy Westmorland new something I didn't about Silver Buddys. I carry one Silver Buddy in my tackle bag as a tribute to Billy. I use the Strata Spoon and have confidence in that lure. (just replace the cheap plated hook)
I had been experimenting with a white chatter bait last year as a replacement for a spinnerbait. I have cought a few bass....but the jury is still deliberating on that lure.
The rest I have no first-hand information on. I remember quite a few years ago a Public TV show WNPE/WNPI Watertown NY "Rod & Reel Streamside" with Don Miesner had the flying lure as a sponser to the show. Don used them quite a bit and did well with them. If memory serves me...he cought some real nice bass on Lake Champlain with flying lures.

DropShot'r
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D I did well on the perch with the cicada..its a small silver one.
walleyemen
Participant
Participant

Post by walleyemen »

I've used the cicada's in lake erie in deeper water to jig for smallies when the bite was slow, produced well for me, the chatter bait i find work s better on calmer water for largies, early morning's when the top water wasn't producing, toss it into weedbeds and to shore, experiment with retreiving it at different speeds.
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

chetterbait

Post by FireFox »

GetTheNet,

I cant say anything about the other lures, but you owe it to yourself to give #2 - the chatterbait another try.

In the waters around Ottawa it has been a steady performer for me, especially on the largemouth. Ive been fishing them like a spinnerbait -- chuck them out and then burn them back to the boat. Hang on to your rod because the fish really hammer them - oh yeah and they seem to be a hammerhandle magnet as well. I havent caught any smallies on them - but Im normally using this lure around weedy cover suitable for largies.

The original chatterbait has been much more successful for me than the knockoffs from Gambler, Booyah , etc. For me I can feel the difference in vibration from the original to these replicas - the original shakes the rod so much that my hand feels a little numb after a while fishing with this bait.

Fox
rfunfarm

Post by rfunfarm »

BLADE DANCERS work very well here in Pa. Great on bass. Chatter Bait in weeds has shown some promise also.
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

We've caught a few small pike on the chatterbait but like yourself we don't go to it too often. :roll: This is a great thread as I have a loads of baits that just sit in my tackle box.If I have time I'll get some pics up of weird stuff I've never used. :D

Ron
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

OH yeah other note.I can recall a few years back meeting up with some buddies at Quinte.I tied on a silver rebel bought in Florida that had sat in my tackle box for 25 years :shock:. The damn lure went wild and managed 5 big Quinte eyes. :shock: Goes to show you never know.

Used it again a year later and got my PB of 13.5 plus 10 more.It's my avatar pic.

Ron
Fishtraks
Participant
Participant

Has anyone used these lures...

Post by Fishtraks »

I bought 2 of the Blade Dancers over a year ago.. The video kiosk at LeBarons in Ottawa made it look like these couldn't miss. I have yet to get so much as a strike on either one. I have removed all the paint off one of them to leave it a pure silver, but have yet to try it. They have awesome action, but like I said, have yet to get a hit on either one. Regards, Fishtraks.
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Thanks for all the replies so far guys! Alright, the cicada has made it into the Ice-fishing kit (Pail) and I've found room for the Chatterbaits in the wet-water gear. After this hype it's going to be one of the first baits I try come bass season!

The jury still seems to be out on the blade-dancer and the kicktail... :lol: