NEW BOAT - Opinons Welcome!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

NEW BOAT - Opinons Welcome!

Post by wolfe »

Well, it seems the hubby has got the new boat itch. He's been doing lots of research and hunting about for something that will suit our family's needs. I think our Crestliner Fishhawk is plenty good enough, but Brian is looking to water ski. Since we're getting something new, my input is that it should have at least a little more room than we currently have.

We both agree that we want this boat's primary function to serve as a FISHING boat; secondly, it will be towing Brian around; eventually also the kids on tubes.

I don't want a monstrosity, but being able to have 4 people casting safely and the big family dog on board as well, is the #1 requirement.

Anyone have a boat that does it all? And advice regarding engines (good or bad choices)??

Leaving now to let the horses out and then to shop around a bit for the boat. I'll check back later to see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance! :wink:

W.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I can't help you Wolfe!!

But I will be able to comment on a Princecraft as soon as the ice melts.
8) 8)
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Wolfe I have an Alumacraft and it is the best boat that I have owned. They are wide and very stable, and reasonable in price. Mine is the navagator sport, for you I would recommend the next one up but I can not remember the name it is 17' something and 8ft wide usually with a 90hp motor to start off with. Check it out online.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

In 1992 we decided our 14ft boat was too small for our family( two small kids and a chessie) After doing our homework we purchased a 17 1/2ft 175 Sportfish from Legend. It has nice high sides, to keep kids safe. We opted to put the biggest motor that the boat was rated for, 100hp Merc. I don't care what you get do not under power the boat, esp if you plan to ski and tube. This boat was good for us as the kids grew up. Our summer vacations always included a friend each brought along for our two kids, plus the dog. I will admit most of the fishing the kids did was drifting minnows across the big flats on Newboro lake, just for management purposes of the kids.
I still love my boat. Very few times have I wished it were bigger.
The sportfish style of boat has a big wind profile, make sure you have lots of power in your trolling motor if you go that route.

Good luck,
DropShot'r
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

thx for the input guys...

Brian took me to see a Mirrocraft 17' model today; wow was it ever nice. Equipped with a 150hp Evinrude. Not sure how I feel about Evinrudes...more of a Merc person, based on past experience, but I know that some swear by 'rudes. Anyway, it had tons of room and I have never seen so much storage. A neat rod storage spot as well, which keeps poles separated and therefore untangled and safe (not exactly a reason to buy a boat, but it was a nice amenity).

I just wonder if bumping up to a larger boat like this would complicate launching, trailering, etc. much. Brian didn't seem bothered by it, but I wondered.

Anyhow, Dropshot'r, thanks for your very helpful input. Your family size and activities are much like ours, so it was good to hear your advice.

BRIAN JUST ASKED ME: Anyone have experience with a STRATOS 385 XF ?? [18'6"] No dealer here; he'd have to drive to PA to check one out (annoying) but it looks like a nice package.

Please keep any advice and opinions coming. The better educated you are, the better...especially on a big $ purchase like this.

Thx.

W.
rfunfarm

Post by rfunfarm »

Consider a pontoon---I have a 20 ft. Plenty of room---potty included for those long fishin trips--Table & propane grill included for lunch--& yes it will pull a tuber behind it. Very easy to launch as I use a crank up & down trailer. I launch & load it totally by myself. Can be towed easily. These are not as big & heavy as many believe. No I'm not a salesman---just love comfort while catch em :lol:
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tomcat »

Hi Wolfe:

My two cents may not be worth too much because I don't own a boat. But that doesn't mean I haven't spent a lot of time researching and looking at new boats. Over the 30 + years I have fished out of boats, I have developed some preferences. Most likely, my biggest preference is safety. I don't appreciate standing up to land a fish and the top of the gunnel is below my knees. Since you already own a Crestliner, you know the brand. The Crestliner model I would suggest to you, Brian and the boys is the Canadian. The 1650 with a 90 HP Merc runs in the vicinity of $20,000 (probably a little underpowered with a 90 HP). The 1850 of course runs slightly more. You can watch a video and read testing results about the 1850 Canadian at http://www.boattest.com/boats/Crestline ... esult.aspx

Both the 1650 and the 1850 are full windshield boats. With proper canopies, you would have lots of protection from inclement weather or the hot sun.
retrieverman
Participant
Participant

Post by retrieverman »

Wolfe, Take a look at the Lund 1825 Explorer. Great boat!. same room as the Stratos, somewhat lighter and it move move great for water sking with 125 optimax. I have a 2000 1650 explorerss and feel very safe in most conditions. The 1825SS would be much beetr with your clan.
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Hi Wolfe - this is an interesting thread that has no correct answer, as everything ends up being a compromise of one sort or another. I purchased my boat ( a 186 Princecraft with a 140 hp Johnson (Suzuki) 4stoke) eight years ago, and still am very happy with it.

My criteria at the time: - I grew up on Lake Erie so it had to be big enough to fish 3/4 people on the Great Lakes but still small enough to trailer easily. I wanted twin windshields with a stand-up top as I'm getting to old to put up with unexpected nasty weather. I needed enough Horsepower to get off the water in a hurry if necessary - childhood memories stick for a long time. It had to be a hard-core fishing machine with all the options ie - livewells, downriggers, electric trolling motor, 9.9 hp kicker, fish -finders etc.

The next consideration was my wife - she does not fish, but enjoys boating, so my boat had to be convertible to a weekend family cruiser. Solution - I purchased an extra swivel seat (now have 4 instead of standard 3), cushions for the front deck, a moveable bench seat for the rear deck, a ski tow bar that I leave permanently mounted (I have added moveable rod holders to it), and a boarding ladder for swimming or skiing.

In conclusion - It still meets my needs perfectly, but I find I must watch launch facilities as it is too big for some unimproved ramps. I find it is almost too much boat to launch by myself if wind is up and launch facilities are not the best. By the same token I would not want it any smaller when I'm with my two brothers out in the western basin of Lake Erie. One definite piece of advice DO NOT UNDER POWER. I recommend the maximum power the boat is rated for - better performance and gas mileage, as larger motor is not required to run at full throttle most of the time.

Hope this helps and good luck with your new DREAMBOAT.
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

Hi Wolfe.

Keep these things in mind when you are shopping around.

1. Now that you have determined what the primary purpose (fishing) will be used for it makes shopping around much easier. If you are going to be using the boat for 30% tubing and skiing consider a Fish and Ski model. When you are looking around you will notice there are two very different classes in the Fish and Skiy Models.
-There is the FISH and ski- focuses 70-80% on fishability and is marketed towards the fisher person that has a family. These are generally less expensive than the other version.
-The fish and SKI version is 80% ski and tubing and is layed out for a family for cruising and comfort with a livewell and trolling motor. these boats generally area bit more money.

2. Decide if you want to go with an Outboard or I/O.
- The I/O can be less expensive given the same hp as an outboard but will not perform well in shallow water since most of these boats have a deeper draft and the out drive will never completely lift out of the water. They generally have a longer life due to the block being based on an autimotive engine and a 40yr old idea.
- An outboard will be a bit more expensize for the same hp as an I/O at point of purchase but your resale value will be higher and you have more models and brands available to search. The fuel savings with newer models than I/O's and you will draft much less water.

3. What brand of outboard do you like$
- Try to get an idea what brand outboard you like because this may be important. For example if you want a Yamaha on a Crestliner you will be paying up to 12% more than a Merc since Brunswick Owns Mer, Motorguide, Lund, Lowe, Grestliner, Princecraft and has contracts with Tracker, Legend and Others.

4. Aluminum or Glass?
-With the cost of aluminum getting higher and higher and the strong canadian dollar Glass boats have never been more affordable. A good fiberglass boat will ride better than 90% of tin boats since the glass and floatation in the hull absorbe engery from rough water better than metal.
- Metal boats in some cases are easier to keep clean and there are more models available to you in lower price ranges.

5. Make sure you have the whole family sit in the boat and bring some gear to see if it fits in compartments before you buy.

6. As for what brand to go with well here is the gods honest truth. EVERY BOAT COMPANY MAKES A GOOD QUALITY PRODUCT in thier price market and no i am not saying that a Ranger is the same as a Legend :lol:
With this in mind choose a layout that will best suit your needs and with a good warranty not only through the manufacture but also the place where you purchase the boat.

After all this I recommend a 2008 Smokercraft 172 Millentia.
It is based on a fishing platform with ski ability.
Lots of room and well made.
92" beam
and you are not bound to any engine company so you have the choice of Honda, Merc, Yamaha or E-tec.

Hope this helps and pm me if you have any other questions about any boat.

Cheers
JP
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

I had to make the big purchase last spring. We too wanted a fish/ski boat that I could fish some serious water with the boys. And take the family and friends out for a fun day on the water.

After hours of resurch and travelling to some of the boat shows. We decided on LEGEND. They are the only Canadian boat dealer. The price is printed on all the broucers. Lots of extras included in the price. ie. swim platform, fishfinder, full standup top, Stereo, and 7 cup holders. Great fishablity with 2 livewells and huge casting decks. In less than 5 min this boat can be converted into a fun safe ski boat.

All the other boat companys lacked bow seating. The legend xcal comes with back rests on the bow and full deck cushions that can be removed for fishing. The rear of the boat also has a large bench seat that 3 people can sit in comfort. It floods down to create a huge fishing or swiming deck.

Im happy with my decision :D

SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Avoid any used legend that has a smoker craft riveted hull.. :wink:
waynerb66
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by waynerb66 »

Misty River make some nice boats for just the purpose you are looking for. I am sure all companies do. I am being biased because I have a Misty River and am pleased with it. I am not sure if there are any dealers where you are. It seems that there are not too many of them out there. Check them out.
www.mistyriverboats.com
fisher
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fisher »

I own a 2003 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1650sc, it suites my needs for now, I love the boat, great layout, fish-ability and fit & finish,
However I am not impressed by latest models of Crestliner(2005 and newer) and I don't like it when some one tells me that I can not put a motor of my choice on MY boat.
If I have to buy another boat now, I will be seriously considering these 3,
Alumacraft
Starcraft
G3
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

There is lots of good advice in this thread. I thought I would add two things on the motor. First always max out the motor for your boat, if you don't need the extra speed you will save money on gas by running at a lower throttle and for the times you do want the extra speed you will have it. Second, get either a direct injection or 4-stoke as you will save $$$ on gas. Enjoy shopping for the new rig that is 1/2 the fun :D .