Re-spooling mess up

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re-spooling mess up

Post by High Noon »

Hi Folks,

Last year I re-spooled my spinning reel wrong. One cast and whammo what a freaking mess. I guess I put the stuff on backwards or something.

Here are my questions:

When re-spooling a spinng reel should the new line come off of the new packaged spool from the bottom or the top?

When re-spooling a baitcaster should the new line come off of the packaged spool from the bottom or the top?

I was lucky last year to go out before our trip to Lac Dumont and fish for a day and have the spool explode on me in town or I would have been snookered up there with a messed up reel.

Thanks for the help

High Noon
XXXL
Participant
Participant

Post by XXXL »

Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

First thing I do when I re=spool a spinning reel is , I open the bail while going forward with the boat and let all the line out of the reel, then keep on driving for a couple of minutes the I reel in the line keeping a good pressure on the line with my thumb and forefinger. That should take care of all the twists in your line. For the baitcaster I get the line to come off the top of the spool.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Hey Pat: funny enough I was reading the new edition of OOD I think or the other Ontario mag and they had an article about how to properly place line on each of those reels. I will see if I can find the article and send it your way. Now is this the excuse you are going to use if you don't catch any trout this year :lol:
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

High noon what line did you put on??? I had fluorocarbon on some of my spinning reel this winter and you really have to keep an eye on thata line or it will just fly off the spool.
Leechman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Re-spooling mess up

Post by Leechman »

High Noon wrote:Hi Folks,
When re-spooling a spinng reel should the new line come off of the new packaged spool from the bottom or the top?

When re-spooling a baitcaster should the new line come off of the packaged spool from the bottom or the top?
I always spool mine from the top and never had a problem with it. Another trick when re-spooling in your boat is to throw the new package spool in the water and let it free spin. That way the line gets spooled onto your reel correctly.

Fish Finder
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

High noon: For spinning reels, neither option is right. You should place the spool flat on the floor. The line should come off the spool in the same direction that it goes on the reel. If you are not sure of the direction, spool 5 or 6 cranks, then drop your rod tip a bit. If your line goes squirrely (technical term for twists up) flip the spool over.

For baitcasters, the line should come of the top.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Ed I agree with you about the spinning reel way of doing it, but I find that happens is that I do that and then I start reeling it in then I stop and check again if it goes squirley and most of the time it does so I flip the spool again then again. That's why before I first use it I let go behind the boat or sometimes I bring a bunch of my rods with spinning reels at Petrie Island and I go at the culverts drop the line in the water and open the bail and let the current take out all the line, I let it go for a couple of minutes then reel it in applying pressure to the line to take out all the twists. I ussually do that in early spring when I go for catfish at the culverts. A couple of years ago I was asked by the CO why I had 3 lines in the water. I had to reel in my 2 that were untwisting to show em.
YakAttack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by YakAttack »

Wallyboss wrote:I find that happens is that I do that and then I start reeling it in then I stop and check again if it goes squirley and most of the time it does so I flip the spool again then again.
I have the same experience. I suspect that for the line not to go squirrelly, the diameter of the spool needs to be the same as the diameter of the reel's spool.

The reel's spool is smaller, so the coils that come off the package's spool are larger than the new coils that the reel makes. Torsional forces develop in the line when respooling because the line's memory of the larger coils doesn't match the new configuration of the line (smaller coils on the reel).

With each turn of the reel, a new coil is made -- the length of line in that coil is shorter than the coil that came off the spool. So, the new coil is out of sync with the memory of the larger coil.

With each turn of the reel, the new coils and the memory of the old coils become even more out of sinc -- creating the torsion and the squirrelly behaviour.

Anyways, this is all just speculation. I bought a baitcasting reel so I wouldn't have to deal with the problem anymore.

:D
Life is temporary.
Bobby Shimano
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bobby Shimano »

Hey Ed, what kind of line do you have and how much do you charge?
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by High Noon »

Thanks for the help guys. It sounds like the line manufacturers should standardize there spool size and the side that they put there logo on. As a consumer don't you think the wigs of these companies would of thought of that? Or are they happy selling me a second roll of line after the first one goes squirelly.

High Noon
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Bobby: I have P Line and Trilene in bulk for spooling at the store (I favour P Line myself) and I have P Line, Trilene, Seaguar in pony spools for sale as well.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Frazman
Participant
Participant

Post by Frazman »

When I put new line on any type of Reel, I always hold the
reel under the hot water tap.. This will help to take the BIG spool
memory out of the line and put the Reel spool diameter memory
in the line..

Try it, you have nothing to lose..

Frazman

Give a man a fish, feed him for the day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime ------<III><
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

This is not even a legitimate problem....

Whatever dude.... this is so simple we shouldn't even help you at all buddy....
beeman
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by beeman »

Joe28 wrote:This is not even a legitimate problem....

Whatever dude.... this is so simple we shouldn't even help you at all buddy....
I thought it was a good question that I had never even thought about. There seems to be a lot of creative solutions for this problem that may save some headaches for people this summer.