black donald lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
sledhead
Participant
Participant

black donald lake

Post by sledhead »

hi all
i am probably your newest member and have to say you guys have a great site here! just read some old posts regarding black donald lake and find myself in the same situation as every year, family vacation first, fishing second! going up to white pines resort first week of aug and will probably keep the wife and kids entertained during the day - tubing, cruising - and fish in the evening. a question i have is regarding cruising the lake - are there many hazards or is it decently navigable? i'm a complete newby to the area and any insight or info appreciated.
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

was out there once for a week.... had a canoe to fish out of... that lake can be very tricky, take note of the islands you pass... it can seem like an endless maze of islands... a good thing to do would be to buy a map of the lake... it can be very confusing... but big pike wander those waters along with some nice bass

JaY
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Though I've never fished it, I've driven past it a number of times. Black Donald L. is an artificial lake created when the dam was built. As such most of the back bays are floaded stands of tree trunks and dead heads. Depending on the the water levels the stumps can be visible or just under water. Best to keep a watchful eye when navigating the shallower water.
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

For sure their are some hazards but if you stay in the centre it's ok... big pike for sure! I caught a nice 20 or so lbs there! Nice! It can be kind of confusing to I suppose... but not to bad. For sure its worth going there...
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Welcome to Fish-Hawk.

DropShot'r
bananaboat
Participant
Participant

Post by bananaboat »

Hi there,
I have a cottage on Black Donald not far from the White Pines. There are a number of rocky shoals, mostly extending from points. Some are visible in low water, but most are subsurface at August levels. Cruising the the main channels is mostly low stress, with one exception in northeast sector and entrance to Centennial, if you head up that way. Shawn or family at White Pines will point out the nearby hazards for you. Have a great time.
Leechman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Leechman »

Welcome to Fish Hawk!

Fish Finder
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Black Donald has it's share of 'hidden' lower unit removers :shock: :shock:, but you probably won't get lost in it. :wink: :wink:

But if you do decide to venture into Centennial Lake, keep very close track of where you're going, 'cause it's very easy to get disoriented in there, but you have a 28 mile stretch from east end of Black Donald, through Centennial, all the way up the Madawaska River to the village of Griffith on Hwy 41!!! :shock: :D :D It is AWESOME!!!! :D :wink: 8) 8)