ARRGGHH more pre opening day problems

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

ARRGGHH more pre opening day problems

Post by Hoser »

Anyone ever had their outboard trim up all by itself and not stop? The key isn't even in the ignition....it just arbitrarily decides to turn itself on. Not sure where to even start looking for the source. There are 3 switches. Front bow, throttle handle, and right on the motor but wasn't touching any of them.
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Does this happen when you connect your bettery?

Cheers,

Scott
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

the battery had been connected for at least a week. weird eh?
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Relay?

Post by Cancatchbass »

Might possibly be one of the trim relays? Your "up" relay could be stuck in the engaged position.

What motor do you have?

CCB
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

'95 70 hp Evinrude.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

TheHoser, mine is doing the same thing!! :shock:

It's stuck and trimming down though. It's something to do with the switch on the moter though. When I took the cap off, I could see a plug on the inside of the tilt switch and disconected it. The trim stopped and my trim on my throttle still works fine.

It has to be in the switch for me. I haven't found the time to take the swich off and look at it. But it's probably just some dirt or corrosion short circuting it.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

Markus: thank gawd someone else is having this problem. I was beginning to think the boat was haunted :shock:

Is there a switch in the motor for every switch on the boat then?
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

TheHoser wrote:Is there a switch in the motor for every switch on the boat then?
I don't know, you're asking the wrong guy....I've been married 10 years and just found my wifes g-spot 2 years ago.

The throttle switch is definately independant from the rear switch though. Can you disconnect the rear switch? Do you have a throttle tilt?
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Markus wrote:
TheHoser wrote:Is there a switch in the motor for every switch on the boat then?
I don't know, you're asking the wrong guy....I've been married 10 years and just found my wifes g-spot 2 years ago.

The throttle switch is definately independant from the rear switch though. Can you disconnect the rear switch? Do you have a throttle tilt?
Markus - you'd better check with P=-lady about the appropriateness of your comment. :oops: :lol:

And shame on you for taking 8 years. :wink:

Now no more embarrassing discussion that trims Evinrudes. :wink:
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Fishhawk wrote:Markus - you'd better check with P=-lady about the appropriateness of your comment. :oops: :lol:
You know when i typed it, it sounded kind of funny in my head, now that I go back and read it...I'm gonna get a paddle side the head.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Good for you Markus...at least ya found it.......Spiced up the marriage a bit I bet!! :shock: :oops: :o
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

It's a G-Spot? No wonder I couldn't find it. I was looking for an J. :?

There is a switch at the bow you lift with your foot, one on the throttle handle, and one on the side of the Evinrude
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Disconnect the one on the rude and I bet your throttle tilt will still work. If it's similar to mine, it'll be a seperate circut.

That'll be a quick fix until you find out what's wrong with the switch and you still be able to work the tilt.
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

Markus..it WAS and IS funny...I don't think your wife would take offense. If she does, just remind of what that spot can do; you'll be able to take the whole weekend off to fish!

Cheers,

Scott
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

So you found the G-spot? Where was it? I lose a lot of stuff under my couch cushions.

Hoser, good luck with the motor. Come to think of it, is 'hoser' because you are a fireman or because you are Bob or Doug McKenzie - take off eh!

M.T. Livewell