Two Days of Bassin' on the Rideau - Aug. 4-5 (lots of pics!)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Two Days of Bassin' on the Rideau - Aug. 4-5 (lots of pics!)

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,

Headed out this past Monday and Tuesday to my newly-found stretch of the Rideau River. Here's what happened..

Day 1.

Fished this first day solo. Arrived at the launch around 11am to hot and humid conditions, and very light winds. A quick 40 second trip with the outboard, and I was at my first spot - a large weed flat that contains slop, emergent weeds, and pads. Depth ranges between one and five-feet deep.

Began tossing around a Bobby's Perfect Frog, and it didn't take long for the action to begin. Fish were mainly hitting in open pockets adjacent to heavy cover, and really jumping all over the bait.

As you can see, they were hungry..

The bait of choice..

Picked up a half dozen fish, including the big fish of the day - a 3lb 3oz largie.

This sweet spot produced a decent fish on the flipping jig - she was tucked into the top corner in the shade..

As the day progressed, the fish were positioning themselves tight up under thick cover. Although the surface bait was garnering a bit of attention, getting right into the thick stuff was key for getting those extra bites.

Tied on a Fin-tech "TitleSHot" jig with a Berkley PowerBait Mud Critter, and punched my way through any slop, pads, or vegetation I could find. Picked up a few more fish using this technique..

As afternoon turned into early evening, I decided to spend the last hour of my trip working a large weed flat (4 to 6 feet deep) with the XCalibur XW6 Wake Bait. This bait really provides some great topwater thrills, and the "swell" and "wake" in provides across the top of the water really does provoke some heavy hits.

The last fish to end the outing..

The Kistler rods really shine out on the water. Having "Technique Specific" rods on hand, such as are found in the Magnesium lineup, make the task of fishing specific baits all the more easier. The sheer lightness of these rods can also be felt at the end of a heavy day of flipping, also. I am also very happy with my switch over to Quantum reels this season - very dependable and ultra smooth...

All in all, a great first day! Hopefully day two would be a repeat...

Day 2.

Headed out on the second day at 9:30am with good 'ole Dad. Conditions were much the same as the previous days, although cloud cover was a bit more prominent in the morning. The humidity was pretty sticky early on.

Started at the same spot I fished the day before. I began tossing a Wake Bait to the open areas outside of the weed flat, while Dad tossed a Frog into the thick stuff and adjacent open pockets.

Didn't take long for the first fish to the Wake Bait, but this one was of the Esox variety..

Not long after, Dad finally gets the skunk of his back, and lands a decent largie on the Frog..

As the surface weeds began to get slightly thicker, I also opted to toss a frog. Didn't take long for the action to heat up, and with a big splash, the big fish of the day was landed early on.

4lbs 2oz..

This fish gave quite the tussle in the shallow water and heavy cover. Dad did a great job with the net.

Until we meet again..

Really liked how this next series of shots turned out. You can really see how a rod flexes on the back cast of the second image..

As early afternoon appeared, we once again headed into the thick stuff to scrape out a few more fish. Texas-rigged plastics were the key, with Papi Craws and Sabertail Burly Bugs working best. Most fish were relating to small clumps of isolated slop adjacent to emergent weeds, especially those that had the wind blowing in on them.

Here is a typical fish using this tactic..

All in all, another great two days on the river. It's only a matter of time before this section coughs up a fiver...

Report Synopsis

Total Fish Caught - 32 Largemouth
Largest Fish - 4lb 2oz
Rods - Kistler Helium 2 LTX 7'6" Flipping and 6'6" Medium Heavy Casting, Magnesium 7'8" All Day Flipping and All Purpose 6'6" and 6'9" Medium Heavy
Reels - Quantum Accurist PT
Line - BPS Excel 20lb Mono
Baits - Booyah 3/8oz Flipping Jigs/YUM Chunk, XCalibur XW6 Wake Bait, TitleSHot Jig w/ Berkley Mud Critter, Bobby's Perfect Frog, Texas-rigged plastics - Sabertail Burly Bug and Papi Craw.

Until next time.

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
Rico24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rico24 »

Justin! That was an awesome report! And that 4lbs 2oz bass :shock: It looks HUGE! 32 largies, very nice!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Very nice report Justin, Very nice indeed............

Outstanding pics also

8) 8)
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Useful info,great report,nice pic's,thanks for sharing.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Very good report Justin...
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

Gotta love the Rideau...........Awesome report and great pictures!

I love bass, they are an amazing fight..............

Maybe this weekend I'll hit up the Rideau, so if any of you fish-hawkers see 2 guys in a small porta boat 14ft with a 9.9 nissan, say hello......

Take Care!

=Tom=
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

Great report and nice pics!!!
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

wow another great report for you justin good job and NICE FISH
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Great report Justin.
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

must be doin sumthin wrong. spent six hours today on the Kville/Manotick section and came up goose eggs. :oops:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Justin,

I always look through and then re-read your reports to try to pick off a little more copy-cat info. :lol:

It's almost like a "report for dummies", because you give us easy to follow text, big pictures and names of your successful baits. 32 bass in a weekend :!: . If I get that in a couple of months, I am over the moon. :lol:

Glad your Daddio got himself a beaut. You were giving him a complex. :wink:

Cool casting pic's. Tyler was very interested in that.

Take care and keep it (info!) coming.

W.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

yep when you get a bass and the frog is that deep you know your getting a good BASS DAY! 8)

love the report ! :D
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Thanks for the kind words, guys and gals....

Much appreciated... :D

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Hey Justin once again nice largie you got there :D .
farmerkid
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by farmerkid »

nice bass!! and thats also a nice pike!

And the pics of your rod, i never knew they bended that much wen casting, cool.