fish finder to use for ice fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lenb12
Participant
Participant

fish finder to use for ice fishing

Post by lenb12 »

Hi Everyone :

Has anyone used a fish finder (large sensing cone) in an ice hole ?

Is a flasher the best and only tool to use ?

What make and model is the best bang for the buck ?

Len
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

flashers aren't the only tools to use when ice fishing, just extremely precise, wich make it for an awsome tool to use.

i've heard that the liquid in LCD's can freeze up when using them in colder temps.

vexilars are the way to go though (or any type of flaser)
TheEllement
Participant
Participant

Post by TheEllement »

I use a Humminbird Wide. I have been using it for about 6yrs with no problems. Most of the time I can mark my lure and see when fish enter the cone. I have never had a problem where it froze up. I guess it depends on the amout you're willing to spend With that said I will be getting a vex when this one dies.
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

I have seen people use regular sonars without any difficulty even at temps of -15... the led just gets slow.

I have a Aquavu VPG, its led and has a heater built in for when its very cold... I used it all last year and turned on the heater only a couple of times.

There are some new units... I think Himmingbird thats a regular sonar for summer months, but on the menue you can change it to "flasher" mode... where you get a screen just like a flasher but its actually colour led.

The Vexilars are VERY expensive compared to the VPG... and for me IMHO... its not worth it, ... but many people will say that theu are the ONLY way to go when it comes to ice fishing....

Guess it all depends on you. :wink:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i did use my reg sonar on ice before and it did work.

not like a flasher..its not instant flasher.

BUT YOU CAN SEE THE DEAPTH AND IF THERE SOME FISH..but its not instant so cant no if there still there.like a true flasher..but it as some good feature.

true that it get slower wen cold..but as to be like -10 or colder..if you are inside a ice shak or tent etc..it still will work.

i got a vex 18 and a lowance x67 that can be use in summer or winter and dont freez.

joco