Last Kick at the Quinte Can

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Superdad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Last Kick at the Quinte Can

Post by Superdad »

Sunday, Dec 13th was a last kick at the Quinte walleye.......

I was invited by Steve-Hamilton to join him for a day of walleye hunting on BOQ. I arrivved at Perfect Vue and I must admit things appeared dismal. There were 13 people fishing through the ice off the south shore of Hay Bay and there approx 1000 geese all sitting on the ice.....

Steve assure me that the water was open somewhere and that we would get out. No point going early as the bite has been late in the morning and into early afternoon.

We packed his boat and loaded the rods and gear into the Yukon and headed off to the Glenora Ferry. The launch ramp on the Adolphustown side was deep with 3-4" of ice, that only a steel boat could plow thru....

Heading east after the ferry ride to Pryners Cove and launch ramp there. Great shape, no ice on the shore and the ramp was clean as a whistle (especially after 40kg of salt a few days ago). Launched the boat and saw another trailer there, must be a charter as it has been there all week.

Headed east towards the Batcave and we could see the edge of the ice quite a bit east of the Keith Shoal buoy. We set the four rods and began our troll into the SW west about 1115. The outside rod went off very quietly, but we had a fish on!!!!!!

Reeling in the lead core requires patience as the length of the line and nature of the line all takes time, the board comes off and YES it's a fish.

Steve deftly handled the net and the fish was ours. A quick weigh on the scales and a quick pix and the fish was back in the water. The fish was super cold and the stomach was super rigid, full of food. Oh, I was caught on a Yo-Zuri shallow crystal minnow.

Steve hadn't been skunked once on this trip and this day was no exception. We trolled a four rod setup, with lead core and straight braided lines. We were running two rods with 5 colours and one with three. We continued to troll and we weren't marking many fish, which was unusual as the day previous the area had many fish showing on the graph.

As we trolled past the Batcave around 1430, we noticed a bunch of fish at the 60' level, suddenly the outer rod went off and Steve was into a fish. As he was slowly bringing the board, the inner rod went off and I had a fish on.

I was able to bring mine to the boat first and grab the lure and lift it into the boat. What a nice one for the table.

Steve, all the while was fighting that fish and was truly enjoying the tussle he was getting. The boat has swung and we were being pushed down-wind and we still had boards in the water. The fish drew near and I was able to slide the net under the fish and into the boat.

Here's a shot the TV shows don't show.......

Any one guess what lure that is????????

As Steve released the fish over the side the out board went off again - Dang - Fish ON!!!!

I cleared the innner board and Steve fought the fish, not as big as his previous fish, but still a nice 8lbs plus.

Removing the Triple Grip hooks was a task as they REALLY grab hold of the fish, The hooks removed and the picture taken.

This all took about 20 minutes - things sure happen in a hurry and when you think you're feeling the wind and cool, the rush of adrenaline with Fish ON changes everything.

We shut down around 1615 and headed back to the launch and off to the ferry.

I cannot thank Steve enough for extending his holiday to take me out fishing. You always learn something everytime you fish and especially with a fisher like Steve-Hamilton. This Man can catch fish.

I hope you enjoy my tale of the last soft water action for 2008 and I am looking forward to the Hard water action on Hay Bay - Keep us posted BayBoy on the ice.

Stay Tuned

David aka Superdad
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Great report superdad, it sure seems like steve has become the master winter ice/water angler on Quinte.
I am glad I have figured out how to catch those same fish in September as it is nice to fish in shorts vs the survival suits.

See you next season on Quinte...

-sheldon
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

I prefer to run my spread w/out worrying about 100 other boats around me.

Thanks for joining me superdad.

Always a blast!

Another successful year in the books, the best year yet!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

What was the weight on that first eye guys.... :shock:
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

absolutely gorgeous fish guys....congrats :)
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

we dont weigh the fish unless they are above 14lbs....

but she was certainly a good one!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Very nice walleyes guys! I could go for a few fish like that right now :lol:
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

steve-hamilton wrote:I prefer to run my spread w/out worrying about 100 other boats around me.
Only boats I see in September while walleye fishing out in Lake Ontario are Small Mouth Bass anglers dragging tube jigs :lol:

-sheldon
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Beautiful fish guys!
You worked hard for those fish and it is nice to see you got rewarded for it.

Cheers,
Dave
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

Excellent report as always Superdad - Thanks for sharing. I can't imagine bucking some of the ice that I have seen in recent reports (I like Eye-tracker's idea of Sept. fishing), but give you and Steve full marks for not giving up too soon. Glad you were able to make it out and back safely. I may try to make it down in the New Year for some ice-fishing.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Now that's some hard core fishing with some excellent results.
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

wow super nice fish(es). Nice outing for you guys.
Life goes on
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

O.k Steve this is from Superdads report: "Steve deftly handled the net and the fish was ours. A quick weigh on the scales and a quick pix and the fish was back in the water. The fish was super cold and the stomach was super rigid, full of food. Oh, I was caught on a Yo-Zuri shallow crystal minnow."

So which one of you is telling the truth :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know how much that weighed or not :?:

Just getting you going guys cause either way it is a football!!! :shock:
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

well, i'll let superdad chime in, however, that fish weighed exactly 9.11 pounds on my frozen digiscale.... and of course, it didn't weigh that.

i had kept my scale in my boat for two days, and the battery had died. i had to put it into my coat pocket to warm 'er up.

however, we did get an idea of what she weighed by our ole faithful spring scale. it wasn't bigger than 14lbs.... :wink:

however, a few that are upcoming in my report did...so you'll see what a real Quinte trophy looks like. 8)
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

great report
wow i cant belive you guys are still out on the boat
i wish i was out thier and catching fish