advice needed on ice jigging and Marcum technique

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lenb12
Participant
Participant

advice needed on ice jigging and Marcum technique

Post by lenb12 »

Hi Everyone :

I am fairly new to the ice fishing game, so I apologize in advance if my comments seem retarded :-)

Last year, I had the most success catching walleye by using a Lindy Techni-glo frostee jig(charteuse, vertical) tipped with a medium sized minnow. I would charge the jig with a very powerful makeshift light which used an old car light on high-beam :-) I found that I caught more fish by hooking the treble through the lips of the minnow and bopping it just above the bottom. I realize that the speed of the rise depends on the mood of the walleye, so I would try different speeds.

I was using a Marcum LX5 to watch the lure and the fish reactions to it.
I found that I had to adjust the Marcum frequently for gain, zoom etc. to get a good visual on the jig(10 feet of water and weeds present on the bottom). And of course, if the minnow swims outside of the sonar cone(wide mode), then an SOL condition occurs and the jig would have to be brought up through the hole and then dropped down again.

I'm looking for comments from the many experts here on types of jigs(new this year, horizontal vs. vertical, minnow attaching techniques, etc/) and Marcum usage techniques(or if there are any new machines that exist which would quash the Marcum lx5 in sophistication).

Len
Dustin
Participant
Participant

back hook

Post by Dustin »

Although I'm not an expert on ice fishing, I hook my minnows just below their back fin (still fishing, not jigging)--I find this keeps them alive for a long time, and allows them to wiggle naturally. Also, I use a hook with a short shank, I find I get a much higher hooking percentage with these types of hooks!