Heading to Collingwood for a week, need fish help

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Thrillhouse
Participant
Participant

Heading to Collingwood for a week, need fish help

Post by Thrillhouse »

Hello all,

I will be in collingwood all next week on vacation, and am hoping to do some fishing. I have never been to Collingwood, so some help would be great. Not looking for any secret spot, just somewhere to wet a line with my buddy from Cape Breton, either in a yak or shore..
Any help is good.

thanks
mattdbz29
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mattdbz29 »

hit any tribs coming off georgian bay.. you get bows an the odd brown maybe a salmon if your reall lucky.
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

Nottawassaga river comes to mind.

Runs through Wasaga beach, but you probably want to fish it somewhere ALOT more upstream than that.

Also I don't know whats open there, so read the regs. I know there are Salmon and Steelhead and maybe even brookies or bows in there.....
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Rainbows, chinook, splake/lakers, browns, and whitefish, all through that area.

Any river or stream mouth is good, with the Pretty River in Collingwood itself, then Silver Creek, then lots of others all the way up the Bruce. Millionaire's Bay between Collingwood and Thornbury had a deep hole near a big rock, and it always held a few fish.

Off the oil shale at Craigleith is a premier shore-fishing spot if you have a longer (surf-casting) rod and rod-holder. Cast out a floating roe bag on a slip sinker rig.

There will probably be serious crowds anywhere up there this time of year, but you can generally find a spot. Unfortunately, there is an unregulated commercial fishery out of Meaford and Owen Sound, and the real glory days of that whole Nottawasage Bay are now in the rear view mirror because the province refuses to deal with the issue because of political sensitivities. :evil:

Good luck!

Doug
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Saw locals shore fishing on the rip-rap past the grain elevators in Collingwood.

There is a huge rip-rap breakwater around the harbour in Meaford that is popular with anglers. Big flea Mkt in Meaford.

Also south of Collingwood in the town of Creemore is Creemore Springs Brewery. Free tours, free samples & cold beer for sale.

Hope this helps,
DropShot'r