Rideau Report (Got a bike :) )

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Rideau Report (Got a bike :) )

Post by FishingIsHealing »

Today I fished some new spots which I haven't been to before. My sister gave me a bike so I was able to get out a bit and slowly bike around looking for new areas.

Around 7pm I caught a pair of nice 2-3 lb bass. Largemouth

Around 8 I get to another spot, and I can see MONSTROUS BASS, like 5-6+ lb'ers, smallmouth too. Roaming around. Then I see a bunch of 15lb Carp, huge fish.

SOOOOOOOOO....

I fish this spot for about 2 hours....only to catch sunfish, rockbass etc. Nothing worth reporting.

I'm about to leave, and throw my last cast and at this point I've run out of worms, so i'm using a 2inch Berkley Powerbait Grub I got at Manotick Bait in a pack of 20 or something. I didn't have much faith in them, because I was just getting panfish etc.

I'm reeling in my last cast it's about 10ft from being reeled in, and boom, a nice fish is on!

I pull it in and realize it's a HUGE Walleye.

I have 15lb test, TUFFLINE on and a MEDIUM/HEAVY action rod, and I could honestly barely lift it up.

My rod was bent like Crazy, I Had to walk over to the water, and pull it out from there.

I didn't have PLIERS! BIG MISTAKE!

Ihad to reach in the mouth of a 5lb Walleye and pull the hook out in a race for time to release it.

I held the gigantic fish in my hand and reached in and luckily it didn't snap down on me, I removed the hook and put it back into the River.

I know 5lbs isn't huge but this is the biggest Eye i've ever caught in my life and was enormous. The sheer weight of the fish was incredible.

Beautiful fish. May have been a spawning female. Just gorgeous.

Even if Walleye were in season I wouldn't have kept it, it was just a really nice fish. I'm proud to have snapped 2 pics of it in a huge rush, and let it go. The pics aren't good because I was fumbling around trying to get the hook out and release ASAP.

GREAT NIGHT!

Thanks for reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FishinJim
Participant
Participant

Post by FishinJim »

Congratulations!
You were due for some Good Luck.
Jim
WallyWizard
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyWizard »

Nice catch! A 5lb wally is definitely one heck of a good fish!
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

Thanks guys, it was a really nice catch.

I smiled the whole bike ride home. There were no cars in the lane I was using and I was cruising downhill going like 40-50km/h with the biggestg smile on my face and my huge backpack and fishing rod lol.

Talk about an adrenaline rush.

Why does fishing make me this happy?

Not sure..but it does lol

Take Care everyone, thanks for taking the time to read and for all the support on this site!

Now that I think of it, Walleye are not super common in the Rideau, I've only caught like 2 in the past year and a half.

So this was surprising....I never noticed how big their teeth were but the size of this fish and the enormous mouth made it pretty obvious they are Toothy Critters haha.

It didn't even squirm either, it just sat in my hand as i held it and removed the hook, no thrashing like a bass. Seemed very calm. Interesting.

==Tom==
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

FishingIsHealing wrote: Why does fishing make me this happy?

Not sure..but it does lol

==Tom==
yep i dont know either it just makes me that happiest guy in the world especialy if youv had a tough day

.......and wow congrats on that eye to bad its out of season so you could of posted some pix
good on you 8)
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Tom, I'm continually impressed with your dedication to the sport so many of us love and your reports are something I really look forward to reading.

Why does fishing make me so happy????

A great question, when you discover the answer help this old guy out will ya - it's kept me smiling for 65 years and is still a mystery to me too!

McQ
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

FIH,

Congrats on your big fish. Until pike/walleye open up I'd be careful about chucking power grubs for pannies, as it's a favorite choice for guys fishing for eyes, and you never know when the COs will be around. Best to stick with worms or micro baits.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

good job Tom!!!

nice!!!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Congrats Tom!

When I first read your post subject I thought you'd caught a bike! :lol:

Then I read it and it seemed quite the adventure!

I can't wait for May 9th!
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

COOL!

No better way to enjoy your spare time than fishing.

Congrats on the nice catch, and release.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I know that you have limited spots to fish but if you say that you were seeing largies and smallies in an area why didn't you go fish in another area,

I am not trying to be the Devils advocate here
Last edited by Wallyboss on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

Wallyboss wrote:I know that you have limited spots to fish but if you say that you were seeing largies and smallies in an area why didn't you go fish in another area,

I am not trying to be the Devils advocate here but, 2" grubs is not a bait for pannies!!!!!
he could be fishing for gar pikes who knows! :shock:

FIH...... what can i say your WAYYY ahead of me this year... i dont know how ill catch up to you man...

i think this is your year to get the monsters....

whats next????

when pike and walleyes opens..... a 20+ lbs pike is on your list i can smell it!!!!!

you think that 5 lbs walleye is big....

i feel a 7 lbs golden nugget is in your futur SON! 8)
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Rideau Report (Got a bike :) )

Post by jwhite »

FishingIsHealing wrote: Around 8 I get to another spot, and I can see MONSTROUS BASS, like 5-6+ lb'ers, smallmouth too. Roaming around. Then I see a bunch of 15lb Carp, huge fish.

SOOOOOOOOO....

I fish this spot for about 2 hours....only to catch sunfish, rockbass etc. Nothing worth reporting.

I'm about to leave, and throw my last cast and at this point I've run out of worms, so i'm using a 2inch Berkley Powerbait Grub I got at Manotick Bait in a pack of 20 or something. I didn't have much faith in them, because I was just getting panfish etc.

Even if Walleye were in season I wouldn't have kept it, it was just a really nice fish. I'm proud to have snapped 2 pics of it in a huge rush, and let it go.
I have to agree with Wallyboss....the way this writeup is written it doesn't appear that you were just looking for pannies.
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

FishingIsHealing wrote: Now that I think of it, Walleye are not super common in the Rideau, I've only caught like 2 in the past year and a half.

==Tom==
Not common because you are not catching them? :)

The Rideau holds loads of fish of all species... keep at it
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Rideau Report (Got a bike :) )

Post by Chevy Champagne »

jwhite wrote:
FishingIsHealing wrote: Around 8 I get to another spot, and I can see MONSTROUS BASS, like 5-6+ lb'ers, smallmouth too. Roaming around. Then I see a bunch of 15lb Carp, huge fish.

SOOOOOOOOO....

Even if Walleye were in season I wouldn't have kept it, it was just a really nice fish. I'm proud to have snapped 2 pics of it in a huge rush, and let it go.

I have to agree with Wallyboss....the way this writeup is written it doesn't appear that you were just looking for pannies.
:shock: :? :? :? :? :?