White Lake Area Help

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jcuts9
Participant
Participant

White Lake Area Help

Post by jcuts9 »

I will be going up to White Lake from June 26-july 3rd. I like the lake its fun, but I am looking for some other good spots to try within an hours drive.

Last time up I hit the Ottawa River, all I know is I drove through a field and launched in a back corner of the river. It was right down the road from White Lake. I caught a few bass, but really had no idea where I was going or where it was safe to run. I basically just went straight across and fished some coves, and islands. Any spots around there decent for muskies or walleye? I am catch and release.

Are there any other lakes in that area that have some good bass, walleyes or pike in? Always looking for new water up there to hit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Sounds to me like you were in the Madawaska, not the Ottawa. :wink:

Head northwest out of White Lake village on Burnstown Rd., when you get to Burnstown turn left & head west.
You'll soon come to Calabogie Lake, not bad fishing, and just the right size for a day trip. :D
Further west you'll come to Black Donald Lake, also tied to Centennial Lake, 28 miles to fish/explore, it'll keep ya busy for quite a while!! :o :wink:
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

get yourself an eastern ont. fish map book,white lake is in there,there are some good amounts of smaller walleye in there,alot of shallow water between the islands,watch your prop,try around waba and andrew islands(alot of islands on the lake),pickerel bay,didn't get it's name for nuthin',to me,WL has alway's been a catfish/panfish and LMB lake,used to be a really good LMB lake years ago,still has alot of bass,but usually small 1-3 lbs.,3-4 lb.er's will win a tourney in that lake anymore,if that tells you anything. still a few nickles are caught though. you can use the public launch at the cottage museum,white lake rd.@ museum rd. has a deep launch and a nice concrete dock. If you want bigger walleye,good sized SMB, and Musky,head into Lake Mad,or the Ott. river.
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Raminator »

actually,just noticed the dates you will be there,I'll be on WL that wknd.,the first SEBO bass tourney is that wknd. and the LMB will be open.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Lake Madawaska is a pretty safe run. If you're heading up river (toward Stewartville) favour the left side of the lake and you'll be in the old river channel. To the right it comes up shallower and somewhere on the right used to be a boat killer of a dead head just sticking out of the water. I didn't see it last year - maybe it's gone, or is now covered. Heading downstream (toward Arnprior) I just stick to the centre of the lake, giving the little reef island a wide berth and haven't seen anything scarey.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

Follow Cybers directions to Burnstown, but go right at the crossroads.
1/4 mile down the road you'll find a launch onto the Madawaska river.
This puts you on water above the Stewartsville Dam and below Calabogie lake.

Have a great vacation.
99 Princecraft 176
98 115 Johnson Ficht
VHF Call terry f 316014005
NPAA 537
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

I would go with Lake Madawaska. IT is my favorite lake. The main species fished are Muskie and Walleye. SM Bass are pretty much overlooked but there are some good ones in there. They say there is no Pike in there but I catch them.
WallyPro
Participant
Participant

Post by WallyPro »

Terry_F`s suggestion is a good one... nice to fish that stretch of river. So is fishin`Bogie! Easy to access and solid choices anyways for a day trip.