Report:Looking for campground + good fishing east of Ottawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Report:Looking for campground + good fishing east of Ottawa

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a campground to pitch a tent and just fish and relax with the fiancee next weekend. Does anyone know anywhere good preferably east of the City? I'm in Rockland (as I think everyone on FH knows by now), I'd be willing to get about 30-45 mins east. I think I remember hearing of a place near Hawkesbury that had a nice campground and decent fishing. Somewhere with a boat launch + bait would be best.
Thanks and tight lines,
Yannick
Last edited by Yannick Loranger on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Yannick
Voyageur Provincial Park has a launch - I haven't stayed there but friends have, supposed to be OK.
http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/voya.html

Other choices abound on the PQ side...
Badger Shark
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Badger Shark »

Voyageur is a very nice campground and has nice spots. I have caught fish there but from boat only.
Geos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Geos »

Last edited by Geos on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

So we ended up going to Voyageur Provincial Park for the weekend. Thanks for the suggestions Out4Trout. A very nice park, lots of amenities, and a nice drive from Rockland.

The trip started off kind of shaky as I realized a wheel on my trailer was just hanging off the axle. After a quick trip to Benson Auto for a bearing repair kit and a hand from my neighbor I was on the road with Danielle. We took it easy Friday night, got set up, went for a stroll and hit the store for some wood and ice. (By the way, kudos to Ontario Parks for keeping their prices very reasonable at the stores.)

Saturday morning we hit the only launch deep enough for a boat and head into a long, narrow, shallow bay...more a reconnaissance trip than anything else. We trolled around with little success except for this nice catfish that Danielle caught on a Wabler tipped with a worm (sometimes their funny ideas work).

After getting a couple perch we decide to drift in the weeds and see if we can get into some pannies, well what do you know, the fiancee hooks into a very respectable 16" walleye in 3.5 ft of water at 11:30 in the morning...wtf??

Good times!

Sunday morning again we head out for a troll, but this time with a solid game plan to troll lighter spoons (Wabler 40s instead of 50s) in a deeper part of the bay (5-7 fow). In about 2 hours Danielle got 6 pike and 4 perch I got squat! But I was enjoying myself just as much as if I was catching the fish, sometimes it's fun being the netman. Here are a couple of the nicer pike we got.

A healthy 3lber.

Danielle's PB pike (as far as she can remember) 30".

Tight lines everyone, and again thanks to O4T and BadgerShark for the suggestion.

Yannick
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Great stuff fisherguy33! Looks like you girl should be on here too... maybe Fishergirl?

Looks like you had a great time with some nice fish and decent weather... you are lucky that your girl looks to like fishing as much as you do!!

Craig
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Ha, I wish! She enjoys it in small doses. She especially likes trolling for pike. Nevertheless, she outfishes me 9/10...I find them they catch them is a theme with pretty much all my fishing adventures.
If anyone joins FH it'll be my dog Muskie. She starts pawing at the water and whining if we go too long without boating anything. All hell breaks loose when we're fighting a fishl
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Nice, looks like a fun weekend with the GF!
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Nice...... looks like a fun weekend with the GF!
WaRe
Participant
Participant

Post by WaRe »

Look like you guys had a great weekend. I have a question. How is the launch area? Paved? can any boat be launch there?
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

3 launches are shown on the map. 1 is closed, 1 is very very shallow, but the 3rd is suitable for a typical fishing boat. I could launch my 12 footer no problem, and I saw a guy launch a 16, but you have to get your feet wet. Not the greatest launch, but it works and it's in a nice isolated bay out of the waves. The fishing is decent too.
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Thanks for the report and pics.

Looks like you both had a good time. As for outfishing you....someone has to be the guide and run the boat.

DropShot'r
crankbait58
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by crankbait58 »

You said it man - sometimes crazy ideas work. Maybe you should finance your girlfriend for a business in lure design so she can support you later in life! Well done
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

Yep out4trout knows whats best !

thats what im talking about.

a great outting from a kind suggestion!

this i swhat F-H is all about.

nice fish fisherguyandgal
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

It looks like fun was had by both you and the wife! Can't beat that :) Nice fish!!