Lure too heavy to use?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ELLIS
Participant
Participant

Lure too heavy to use?

Post by ELLIS »

Newbie question ..... I have a Shimano Graphite spinning rod with a lure rating of ¼ to ¾ oz and a line rating of 8-17 pounds. Right now the rod is spooled up with a 10 pound monofilament. My boy gave me a Spro Swimbait that weighs 7/8 oz for Christmas. Will this lure damage this rod if used?
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

ok

Post by JZ »

No you should be fine, its not the ideal set up for that swimbait but it won't damage the rod.
Roughneck1860
Participant
Participant

Post by Roughneck1860 »

Won't hurt it at all, you just wont get the best performance. We've got local fall fisherman that get in on the "muskie run" when the shad come into the river and they are throwing 5-8oz baits on MH and H action rods rated for 3/4oz-1oz. I see a good number of them snap each year but in your situation you will be fine.

Good Fishin'
Tim
T Dot
Participant
Participant

Post by T Dot »

with that heavy of a lure and that light of a line, the lure will fly. if you are low on line capacity, you will spool out. you wont get much hook penetration with that line / rod setup, especially if you get bit during a long cast.

i can almost guarantee you will breakoff with the line setup.

you should look into changing to braid if you want any type of advantage with that lure and rod setup.
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.
The_Captain!
Participant
Participant

Post by The_Captain! »

The rod will be fine but I'd get some stronger line for the bigger lure and the bigger fish!