Fishing in Barbados?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fishing in Barbados?

Post by nips »

Getting married at the end of may and will be spending the honeymoon in barbados. Just wondering if anybody on here has been fishing there, the resort where staying at offers free reef fishing :D :D so im pumped about that. Thanks
Wabler
Participant
Participant

Post by Wabler »

Too bad you have to interupt a good fishin' trip for a wedding ceremony. :wink:

Congratulations and good luck with both!
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

Thanks man, I told her she's lucky im going :shock: because im going to miss musky opener on the rideau :lol: :lol: , I took 3 weeks off work, so when i get back i can pound the rideau for a week before i have to go back to work
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

But you are more pumped about marrying such a great woman right???? :shock: :wink:

My buddy reef fished this year when he was there and said if you do not have a local or guide it was hard to get into the fish...He caught one cuda by accident in a little mangrove forest he was wading in.
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

thanks for tip almontefisher, do you know if your buddy brought a rod/reel down there or did they supply one on the resort
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

The resort had some but he mentioned that a branch off a tree was probably more expensive and better quality. He also said if he was to do it again he would get a guide and bring a few older lures etc with him to trade for thier service. Expect to break off a few times if you get any as the line was probably 50 years old :lol:
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

thanks for the heads up, i was planning on bringing a rod down there with like 50 lb power pro on it, but i will bring some old lures for bartering. what did he catch the cuda on? any suggestions for lures down there?
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

I am glad you asked Nips...He bought some bait the first day from a guy and then had a brainstorm of an idea. He took a few handfuls of shrimp from the buffet. He caught it on a 7/8 shrimp. That means there are 7-8 per lbs so you can figure out the size. He thought about trying some fish from the buffet but figured he would stink to much after that. :lol:

But yeah use the buffet as your bait selection :wink:
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

:lol: :lol: :lol: thats funny, i was in the dominican republic last year and there was a guy fishing from shore in the ocean, so me being a hardcore fisherman i had to talk to him, i asked him how he was making out and he told me that he tried every lure in his tackle box without a bite, so he got some bread from the buffet and the fish were all over it. Thanks for the advice
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

WOW!
make sure to catch those 15-20 pound bass!!!!!!
.......DONT GET BIT BY ANY STING RAYS THOGH!
TT
TY
PS
hey, this is my 200th post!
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

The Torpedo wrote:WOW!
make sure to catch those 15-20 pound bass!!!!!!
.......DONT GET BIT BY ANY STING RAYS THOGH!
TT
TY
PS
hey, this is my 200th post!
I didn't think there was any bass there dude, just saltwater species?
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by D-mo »

Just a few notes:
If your destination advertises free reef fishing, as soon as you get to the resort, book your dates, they are usually swallowed up very quickly. Also, in some Carb. countries, reef fishing means hand lining, and that may be all you can do out there. Check tripadvisor for reviews and more information.

D-mo
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Fishing in Barbados?

Post by Out4trout »

nips wrote:Getting married at the end of may and will be spending the honeymoon in barbados. Just wondering if anybody on here has been fishing there, the resort where staying at offers free reef fishing :D :D so im pumped about that. Thanks
Congratulations!!!
I wish you many more.... oops - that's Birthdays... :D
But seriously, hope your marriage is a long happy one!!

O4T
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

D-mo wrote:Just a few notes:
If your destination advertises free reef fishing, as soon as you get to the resort, book your dates, they are usually swallowed up very quickly. Also, in some Carb. countries, reef fishing means hand lining, and that may be all you can do out there. Check tripadvisor for reviews and more information.

D-mo
From what I understand you can fish at your own free will, just go for a walk and cast a line. Im bringing a rod down with me and a few lures
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Fishing in Barbados?

Post by nips »

Out4trout wrote:
nips wrote:Getting married at the end of may and will be spending the honeymoon in barbados. Just wondering if anybody on here has been fishing there, the resort where staying at offers free reef fishing :D :D so im pumped about that. Thanks
Congratulations!!!
I wish you many more.... oops - that's Birthdays... :D
But seriously, hope your marriage is a long happy one!!

O4T
Thanks man