Lake Clear (Eganville) fishing question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishtracker
Participant
Participant

Lake Clear (Eganville) fishing question

Post by fishtracker »

Hi everyone,

I'm a first time poster and long time reader of Fish-Hawk.net. I have a question regarding the fishing on Lake Clear, particularly the walleye fishing. Some friends and I have rented a cottage on Lake Clear this upcoming July and are hoping on having a fish fry or two. It seems everytime we target walleye on our fishing trips we get skunked :oops:. I was hoping there would be someone on this board that could help give us the upperhand this time by providing tips, hotspots etc. for catching some walleyes on Lake Clear near Eganville. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
HaZarD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HaZarD »

in front of Opeongo Resort you will see boats gather in a certain spot.. near there is great walleye.. If you go for pickerel go at dusk or dawn..
Dutchydr
Participant
Participant

Post by Dutchydr »

PM Sent.
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

one tip for you.....don't jig for them. troll with deep running crank bait. but if you want a fish fry, buy some at the grocery store on your way there. cause even if you do catch one, chances are it won't be big enough to keep. they must be 50 cm.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

moonshine wrote:one tip for you.....don't jig for them .
That right there is an excellent tip! :D
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

It is difficult to get fish over the 50cm limit and one thing to note is that although the lake looks clean, clear and pure the fish are not exactly contaminant free.

For Walleye,4 meals a month is safe. 0 for pregnant woman. Lakers are a no

Back in the 70's lake clear road was sprayed down w/transformer oil (to keep the dust down) and the effects are still present. Also it can be a challenge

Just hit up Loblaws before your trip :)
Last edited by bl8ant on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

bl8ant wrote:Unless someone in the party is pregnant 4 meals a month is safe. 0 for pregnant woman.

Back in the 70 lake clear road was sprayed down w/transformer oil and the effects are still present. Also it can be a challenge getting fish over the 50cm range.

Just hit up Loblaws before your trip :)
Yikes! Really? What's the story there?

E
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Not sure where that information comes from, although I do not doubt it, road maintenance has always been curious ...
As for not being able to eat the fish, I say it is nonsense, I have eaten lake clear fish along with 2 generations of my family for 30 years, my children eat it and my wife ate it while pregnant, both of my girls are beautiful and healthy. Over the years I've enjoyed pike, walleye, bass, perch, specially lakers, although pike are very rare since the introduction of walleye.
This lake has been my home every weekend since I was 4.
I fished two nights last weekend from my dock and had a 22",21" and 24", walleye, they are in there and there are plenty. Just check the website for the lake, lot's of biggies get caught.
Totally agree with another poster though, Jigging has gone south in recent years, it's all about the orange x-rap :wink:
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

it is true what bl8ant says, the lake was contaminated. The lake was then killed off and the only fish that survived were the large fish and the lakers. After the lake recovered, some bonehead decided to put walleye in a lake trout/pike lake. I've heard many stories of monster pike and lake trout coming out of lake clear. Now that the walleye are there, those stories are almost unheard of
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

wow 2 generations and 30 years igglesD i bet you have 3 eyes you glow in the dark and you have 7 arms and 5 legs ,,,,,why are people worried about eating any fish? seriously people still eat fish from the ottawa river ,,,,,,enough said! :lol: :lol:
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Moonshine - I agree, I had a much bigger passion for catching large pike in the morning, than I do for cookie cutter 20" eyes at 9:00pm at night, the eyes really threw the balance of of that poor lake.

Fishin mission - only one part of me glows in the dark :shock:
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

slop wrote:
moonshine wrote:one tip for you.....don't jig for them .
That right there is an excellent tip! :D
Yeah, I've never caught Walleye on jigs while fishing there... :roll: :roll: Excellent tip for sure! :wink:

ratsotail
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

The walleye were stocked by the ministry in an attempt to trim down the population of perch and apparently restore balance to the lake. This was in 1988 and 1989.

http://www.timallard.ca/wp-content/uplo ... 0Clear.pdf
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Bl8 - Wasn't there also something to do with the increase of algae at the time as well as it was supposed to soemhow boost the laker population? I went to a couple of the town halls years ago but can't remember all the details.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Actually yes, I heard that as well. What I found weird was apparently the abundance of perch was what was causing the algae...