Fishing for Pike - What do you use?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Spezza_Fan
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spezza_Fan »

Hey gang,
So I've been fishing with the same technique for the last 20 years or so for Pike. Straight up 12" leader with a gap hook and a dead minnow hooked under the mouth and through the eyes. It's produced some awesome fish mixed with a slow retrieve and that's it. Fishing in 15-20 FOW with a weedy bottom. However, I know there's more options/techniques out there and wanted to know how you guys fished those toothy monsters. I know Kev put up a report about Swimbaits or what not but I'm not sure how he fished them. Any advice would be awesome. I'm going to be trying my luck tomorrow all day.

Thanks,
Derek
Last edited by Spezza_Fan on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kovalchuk
Participant
Participant

Post by Kovalchuk »

Mepps Giant Killer trolled at a medium speed or cast and retrieved has ALWAYS been my best bet for large pike.

Smaller pike seem to hit any bass set-up I use... Gulp Alive Minnow on a Jig head has landed me tonnes of Pike on the Ottawa and Muskrat.
Wrexxer
Participant
Participant

Post by Wrexxer »

Spinnerbaits have produced the most pike for me...for some reason when it comes to pike the shinnier the better for me! hehe...

I have a friend that has landed 2 nice ones back to back on a wacky style senko...

But If I would have to choose one it would be the spinner bait!
If you ain't snagging...you ain't tryin
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

I use spinnerbaits as well. White with red trailers work the best. I prefer Boo-Yah, just because of their quality. I retrieve it on the slower side, and I get lots of pike on it. Bass as well. If that does not work, a red and white dare-devil will do fine. Best of luck!
TT
TY
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

This is the first year where I have really had success with Pike, top 3 most productive lures were:

1) bucktail jig (with and without grub trailer)
2) 5 of diamonds yellow and red
3) Smithwick rogue stickbait (glow in the dark suspending)

I have played around with leaders a bit this year with some good and bad results. with the spoons and jerkbaits I will go with a 30-50lb fluro leader with jigs I will use a titanium leader thinner the better. I started out using fluro leaders with jigs but have had small pike bite through 30 and 50 flouro with ease. The titanium leaders are expensive $10-$13 each but they are worth it, they dont ruin the action, they dont kink, they generally come with quality snaps.
Stefan
Participant
Participant

Post by Stefan »

My best luck has been with spinner baits (no leader) run along weed banks or lilly pads. I've noticed big differences based on weather patterns, and I have had the best luck when there is a light drizzle.
Rico24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rico24 »

Seems like pike will eat anything i try to catch bass with. They really love Spro frogs!
jameson
Participant
Participant

Post by jameson »

Red Devil/Devle

Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I started out using fluro leaders with jigs but have had small pike bite through 30 and 50 flouro with ease.
Make sure you're using fluorocarbon leader material. I tie my leaders with 40lbs fluoro and NOTHING has been able to bite through it yet in 3 seasons.

I find pike on the Ottawa are very season specific. Spoons first thing, then topwaters, then back to spoons, then spinnerbaits, then back to topwater, then it's Oct. and I'm hitting walleye.

If you're fishing for them in 20 fow. I would say cranks and swimbaits are your best bet.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

fisherguy33 wrote:
I started out using fluro leaders with jigs but have had small pike bite through 30 and 50 flouro with ease.
Make sure you're using fluorocarbon leader material. I tie my leaders with 40lbs fluoro and NOTHING has been able to bite through it yet in 3 seasons.

I find pike on the Ottawa are very season specific. Spoons first thing, then topwaters, then back to spoons, then spinnerbaits, then back to topwater, then it's Oct. and I'm hitting walleye.

If you're fishing for them in 20 fow. I would say cranks and swimbaits are your best bet.
It is leader material, actually they are premade leaders, and they work great with every other lure type, usually not even a nick after many fish but with jigs the pike usually has the leader in his mouth and I do get bit off occasionally so I switched to titanium for jigs. What brand Fluoro do you use?
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I think it's Seaguar, but I'd have to check to make sure. Can't say I've caught lots (if any) pike on jigs. When I'm using a leader, it's usually with spoons.
Panfisher
Participant
Participant

Post by Panfisher »

Tomorrow I'll be using a 9 wt fly rod with either a red and white streamer (nod to the red devil), a clouser or perhaps a mouse fly.

They'll be about a foot of steel line between the fly and the leader.

I'll let you know how it works.
Panfisher
Participant
Participant

Post by Panfisher »

I didn't have much luck.

How did you do?
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I troll a Williams WF half-half, or a jointed crankbait with a rattle.
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Spezza - If you are on the Ottawa, find weeds and throw 10" muskie lures :? We caught an abnormally high amount this year....all healthy looking as well.