Madawaska Dreaming

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Madawaska Dreaming

Post by dead_weight »

A friend from NS and i decided to paddle the lower madawaska provincial park last weekend. I picked him up at the airport and head to Grffith to meet the canoe rental guy.

On the way up to the put in we met another group that was coming out .. they had made the run .. well kind of ... one had wrapped his canoe around a rock.

Anxious to get on the water the trip up seemed like it was taking forever ... we got on the water later in the afternoon and fished/paddled our way to a spot to make first camp.

We fished that evening and got 2 small ones and another 3 that we lost but felt like decent fish. So the next AM I was up at the crack of dawn ... here's is a pic of the island campsite we had ... rapids on both sides ... the park has really nice campsites.

There were lots of fish around the rapids ... in the eddies and also in the larger pools just beyond the rapids. Caught lots of small ones and a couple for brekkie ...

Here's some pics around the rapids near our camp ...

We are both white water virgins for the most part and since the river was at its highest level except for the early spring, we decided this was not the time to "run the river". So we portaged a lot. Because of this we didn't have as much time to fish as we liked ... my buddy had to catch a plane the next day so we had to make pretty good time. but when we did throw a line it was productive ... as long as you were still in the park we caught a fair amount of fish like the following ... outside the park near lots of cabins and the fish dried up.

Johnsons silver minnow worked well in the rapids and pools and the hula popper worked well in the quiet bays. When we stopped for camp or lunch we always had a line in the water with worm and floating jig ... we caught some small walleye and fallfish. Nothing of any decent size to report ... but lots of numbers.

We made second camp near this set of falls ...

Great site ... thank god it had lots of firewood because we were pretty tired from portaging.

A bit of background before the next pic ...

At this site I saw this large thing bobbing its head up and down out of the water .. i said to my buddy "come and see this .. i think it's a turtle !!" .. he looked and said "its just a log bobbing in and out of the water with the current" ... I felt like and butt ... so the next day whenever he saw a dead head he'd say "hey look another one of those turtles" ... grrrrrrr ... then yesterday he sends me this pic with the caption "look in the lower left hand corner .. there's something there .. but can't make it out" ...

This is the last pic I took as we headed past the last set of falls and to the take out.

I sure wish we had one more day to counter the portage time and give us more time to fish. If any of you are considering this section of the river I would certainly recommend it ... well maintained sites, lots of fish, scenic and not too much traffic this time of year. I would recommend that unless you have whitewater experience you take a course, be prepared to portage a lot or perhaps do it in the summer when the water is low. For us trying to manuver a boat with almost 1000 lbs of people and gear in a powerful current was not the time to learn white water. If you do go and want a referral for canoe rental please PM me.

I'll leave this post with a few more pics ... enjoy .. we did.

troutbum
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by troutbum »

Now that there is a nice looking trip, I’m envious. The Madawaska has got to be the most beautiful river in our area. I’ve always wanted to do that run, maybe next year.
PS judging by that turtle I would say you were in the Galapagos’s Islands :shock: :lol:
RobM
Participant
Participant

Post by RobM »

Excellent report! It looks like you had a good time.
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

Awesome report, awesome pics of the river, thanks for sharing.
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Very scenic pics. Nice.
Mudpout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mudpout »

LOL!! your buddy sure has a good sense of humor! That turtle pic is a riot!

Looks like a great trip!
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Sweet pics man.... Really "captured the moment"...

An nice fish too!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
tman12
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tman12 »

nice fish
TT
TY
Formerly known as "The Torpedo"
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Very beautiful and scenic, especially with the leaves starting to show colour.

It must have been a real wilderness experience.

Just watch out for those giant turtles... :twisted:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

It's a Mad Mad Mad Madawaska World!

Find the $?!

(You might be too young for this one!!)

Craig
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

man

you made my day.

seeing those pict just great shots.

and some paddling in it...ho yesssssssss

thanks to share bud.

joco
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Nice report - the pics are great!!
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

I must be too young cprince ... what does it mean?
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Lol!

OLD movie... I watch MANY... one called "Its a mad mad mad mad world".

Everytime I hear about the Madawaska, my mind goes there.

Never mind Golden Lake!

Craig
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dead_weight »

Oh yeah ... I think I heard my granddad talk about that show ... just kidd'in !! ... I have heard of it ... I actually turned 41 on the last day of my fishing trip ... my buddy gave me a pint of rum that morning as my gift ... it doesn't get any better than that !!