Quebec Bass Bonanza - Sept. 25 Report (lots of pics!)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Quebec Bass Bonanza - Sept. 25 Report (lots of pics!)

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,

Got the call early afternoon from my buddy Andy to head up to his cottage in Quebec for a few hours of fishing. Although skies were grey and drizzly on the way up, I arrived at 2:30pm to sunny conditions. Loaded up the Stratos and off we went....

Fish were fairly active and wound up this day. With the sun shining brightly, many of the largies were up shallow - relating to isolated rock boulders and sparse clumps of weeds. Two to six-feet seemed to be the magical depth.

I have really jumped on the swimbait bandwagon this season and love throwing these baits. The YUM Money Minnow (5" size) has a tremendous action, and the hooking percentage is very good when fish are slamming this bait.

Smallies were also fairly active....and we found many up on sand flats. This fish was one half of a double-header we scored:

A couple decent pike were also swung in the boat - they certainly hammer these baits:

Weather conditions were constantly changing out there, going from full sun to overcast drizzle. Temperatures were still warm, and if anything, I think the storm rolling in turned the fish on even more.
After recognizing the fact that the smallies were relating to sand flats, we picked apart a few more. Most had a few decent largies thrown into the mix.

Here's Andy working one of our prime sand flats:

And the result:

Another one for me:

We also picked up some of our bigger fish from rock points and fingers. Most of these fish came from 8 to 15 feet of water, and flipping jigs, tubes and football jigs were the lures of choice.

Here is the big fish of the day - a 4lb 1oz largie. Came from 8 feet of water on a Strike King 1/2 oz Jig and Berkley Chigger Chunk:

Sadly, minutes earlier I lost a BIG smallie at boatside that came on the same jig... :(

We ended off the evening at a favourite rock finger. This piece of structure extends out from shore a good 50 yards, and peaks at 12 feet with 22 feet off each side. Always coughs up a few decent fish.

This girl came on a Fin-tech Football Jig and 3.75" YUM F2 Mighty Bug. This "new-on-the-market" bait looks like a real winner for largies and smallies when tossing jigs.

With the rain falling harder and night upon us, we did the 30 second boat ride back to the cottage. Four hours of fishing put 24 bass and a few pike in the boat. Great afternoon overall!!!

Sharing a steak and cold beer back at the cottage with Andy and his wife was just icing on the cake for another sweet Quebec outing... :lol:

Until next time...

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

nice report man, thanks for sharing
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Very nice pictures dude.

looks like you had a great fun.

ASK
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

Great report with some very nice pics.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Justin,

I recently got some of those big swim baits; I'm glad to see they were working for you. Maybe they'll work for me. 8) I notice that you were fishing them with a weighted hook (?) and also weightless?? Is this right? How deep did you work these baits, and also do you work them with a slow-medium steady retrieve or a sporadic jigging retrieve? I could use some advice on what works best for these big baits.

What a great outing; those are all really nice bass, especially the 4 lb'r.

Top off a day like that with steak and beer -- can it get any better?

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hi Wolfe,

Thanks for the kind words... :lol:

I always fish swimbaits with a weighted hook. The weight allows them to sink down a bit, and also acts as a keel - this gives the bait a natural and "straight" retrieve.

YUM produces swimbait hooks that are designed to be used with the Money Minnow. For the 3.5" baits, you use a 3/0 hook that weighs 3/32oz.
The 5" baits are used in conjunction with a 6/0 hook and weigh 1/4oz.

In terms of retrieves, swimbaits are probably the easiest bait on the market. For shallow water (less than 4 feet) I will generally retrieve them a foot below the surface. Water upwards of 10 feet deep, I might reel them in 3 or 4 feet down. They are pretty much weedless, so working there way through isolated cover or pads is never a problem.

As for retrieve specifics - a simple straight retrieve is best. You want to have the tail of the bait "thumping" back and forth with a nice cadence. Generally, a slow to medium retrieve will work to get this cadence. If a fish hits it and misses - I may deadstick it briefly by stopping the retrieve. This can result is a positive hook up.

Fish will sometimes hit these and keep swimming towards you (this happened a few times yesterday) so a quick hookset and frantic handle turning will allow you to catch up to the fish.

Hope this helps.

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

JustinHoffman wrote:
Fish will sometimes hit these and keep swimming towards you (this happened a few times yesterday) so a quick hookset and frantic handle turning will allow you to catch up to the fish.
This happened to me a couple of times over the summer, and I like your description of "frantic handle turning"... :lol: ...so true!

Yes, the detailed advice DOES help and kind of reaffirms what I thought.

I'm going to ask one more question on the swimbaits. Do you have a colour preference yet? The ones I have are a pearlish-white with a little blue edging.

No nickel for me this season, Justin, but I keep trying! I'll hopefully have a few more cracks at bass this year before it's time to hang up my gear.

Thanks again.

W.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Wolfe,

In terms of colour - I haven't really been able to ascertain if one works better than the other. Yesterday I was throwing the "Foxy Shad" (a perch rendition) and Andy was tossing the "Ayu." I'd say our results were pretty much even.

I do like to go with a hue that stands out in the water, yet also looks fairly natural and realistic. Most of the water I fish has perch as a main source of food, so the Foxy Shad fits the bill. Saying that, anything with partial or mainly white seems to always work well. Now, my water is fairly clear, so stained might warrant a switch to a chartreuse hue for better visibility.

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Thanks, Justin. I'm going to have to give those new swim baits a go. 8)

W.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

What did ya catch em on?... :lol:

Great to see ya back in the swing of things Justin!

RJ
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

RJ - been in the swing of things for a while, now....well, other than the time off to recover from surgery. Been a great season so far - and the best is yet to come... :lol:

My favourite bass spots are just beginning to heat up... :wink: :D

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Swimbaits have been my go to bait this Summer.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Justin,

Love reading your reports. Always informative. Reading your reports over the past couple of years, I have noticed that you do most of your fishing out of a set up similar to mine. Small-ish tin boat.... with your own modifications.

No slight to the guys who are setup and loaded for bear... but I love this type of setup. Probably the same way the Yak guys feel about their setup.

I would love to see a report from you with some details about your set up; Motor - decking - livewell - Trailering - tips and tricks - safety - Photography setup on the boat (How do you get your shots?) ... things of that nature.

Thanks again for your usual high quality contributions.

Craig
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Another great Read and Photos Justin.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Thanks for the kind words, CPrince.... :D

Here is a rundown of my rig:

The boat is a 1989 Pro 140 Springbok, with a 1988 20HP Johnson. In terms of upgrades, looking at the above pic, the left and right "storage" compartments are in fact both livewells. One was originally stock with the boat, and we built and we built a metal "box" to fit in the other side and installed pumps.

The flat carpeted floor was always there, but up front the only "raised" platform is the second section you see in the pic. This originally housed a third seat. We removed this and put hinges on this section so it is now a storage compartment. We also built and carpeted the first and third section of deck to give one large casting platform. As you can also see from the pic, the third section we left "hollow" underneath, so that doubles as additional storage.

A bow-mount was added to the front, as well as a fishfinder. Although it does not show in this pic, I have a secondary unit along the side in front of where I sit (this pic is a year or two old, so I've made a few upgrades since then.)

Here is a side view:

Although this rig is over 20 years old, you would never know it. People are still amazed when I tell them that. I am very particular about cleaning (vacuum the carpet once a week), wash the outside and always store it with a cover when not in use. This has definitely helped in terms of keeping it looking new and increasing its longevity.

As you can also see, I only run one battery in the back that has never let me down, and runs everything over the course of the day. Two gas tanks are also conveniently placed out of the way.

For its size, this boat fishes big - especially with the deck modifications. The two livewells also help in providing additional deck space.

In terms of photography - when I am solo I generally use a heavy duty tripod set up in the back of the boat and run a timer with my camera. Seems to work well in most situations. I'll often put a decent fish in the livewell for a few minutes while I set this up - meaning it is out of the water for as little time as possible.

Here's a shot of one livewell:

One tip I can offer for trailers is this - place a wide strip of "grip tape" along where you walk for launching your boat. Works wonders for helping your footing...

And here is the tow vehicle:

Hope this helps a bit and gives somewhat of an insight...

Good Fishing,

Justin
Justin Hoffman