musky equipment

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

musky equipment

Post by tbone1088 »

hi guys,
Im thinking about buying a musky rod/reel, and was hoping you guys could tell me a good reel to go with? I fish from shore, so the rod is going to be 7 or 8 foot in length, and a baitcaster of course. Ive read some people use low profile style reels, would the drag system and bearings be strong enough to catch musky? Or should I go with the round style ?
Kovalchuk
Participant
Participant

Post by Kovalchuk »

I prefer the round style for sure!

I use an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reel and love the thing, it has NEVER failed me once. Toss that on a St. Croix Premier Musky (or Legend Tournament $$$) and you have an awesome combo.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

i have read many good reviews of that ambasseudeur reel...which one of them should I get for shore fishing? I'm thinking I will need a higher ratio like 7 to 1, but I heard that the gears wear out very quickly on those.
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Curado 300,you wont be disapointed.
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
Muskybuster
Participant
Participant

Post by Muskybuster »

I would go with a Abu Garcia 6500 c3 model, I use these reels for Guiding, they are worth the money and take a pile of abuse from big fish.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

curado 300....worth the money for sure 8)
steadyj_17
Participant
Participant

Post by steadyj_17 »

I have to point out that the biggest problem I find with the Abu 6500 is that it does not have a thumb bar, instead a button on the opposite side of where your thumb is, making it a stretch. As well the clicker I find is in the way, if palming the reel it will sometimes engage the clicker.

I have since gone to 400 Calcutta Te’s and curado 301's. You will be hard pressed to find a mid priced reel better then the curado they are indestructible.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Depends on your budget, the 6500's are good lower end reels if that's all you can afford they will do. But if you want a better reel then go to the Calcutta 400 ( round ) or Curado ( low profile ) they are steps ahead in quality and feel. It's like getting out of a Chevette and into a Cadilac.

As for rods its the same thing if you can afford it I would reccomend G-loomis but Shimano rods are a good lower priced choice.

I've been using the Curado 300 on a 7'7" G-Loomis for a couple of years now and it's high speed ratio as well as been bullet proof makes it a perfect casting reel. I also have many Calcutas that are many years old and never had any issues. I remember having 1/4 or more of my abus break on a yearly bases.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

steady
is there any differences between the curado 300 and 301 looking at the specks it doesnt look like much if anything
am i missing something
steadyj_17
Participant
Participant

Post by steadyj_17 »

walleye man

301 is left handed thats the only difference all my calutta te's are 401 which again the 1 just is the left handed model
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

You definitely can't go wrong with the curado 300 (301 for lefties) but personally I didn't like the feel as I found this reel too long to palm properly.

That is why I went with the Abu Revo Toro 51 which I found feels absolutely bomb proof.
It has been a super solid reel so far and has 22-pounds of drag!
I like that it also comes with the extra paddle handle it you want more power for reeling in the big ones.

You can find a review on the Revo Toro HERE. 8)

The only problem I have found, and this is not related to the reel, is that I have yet to catch my first muskie. Reels in trees and logs like you wouldn't believe though. :oops:
Whichever you decide, I strongly suggest pairing it up with the rod you want and get the one that feels best in your hands. Good luck! :D
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

ohhh makes sence now 8)
and that revo....i like it i may need to go check one of them out

might haveone by next season :?
steadyj_17
Participant
Participant

Post by steadyj_17 »

the toro paired up with a St. Croix sling blade is a great combination for double 10's and bigger.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

thanks for the info guys, how much does the curado cost (CAD) and where can I buy it? I checked lebaron, and doesn't look like they have shimano reels in there catalogue.
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

tbone1088 wrote:thanks for the info guys, how much does the curado cost (CAD) and where can I buy it? I checked lebaron, and doesn't look like they have shimano reels in there catalogue.
It's gone from their online catalogue but they do carry it.
I'm sure the local shops listed on F-H carry it as well.
You're likely looking in the $250-$300 range.

Paddletales might even have a special on it this weekend. :wink: Get deep fried turkey with any Curado purchase! Woot! Woot! :D