General questions about Shirley's Bay

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Flooded
Participant
Participant

General questions about Shirley's Bay

Post by Flooded »

Hello people,

A buddy and I are taking our first-ever steps out onto Shirley's Bay tomorrow. While I'm sure much will be obvious when we get there, I do have a couple of questions that I'm sure can be answered really briefly by those in the know!

First, what kind of time/distance are we looking at to get out to the "fishable" areas? We'll be on foot.

Second, is there a point at which the ice is unsafe due to the current? Judging from what's been posted here, it looks like there are trucks out there and all of that, but we'd like to push out a bit beyond the traffic and the huts. I don't mind 5-6" of ice, but I sure don't want to end up on the 3" stuff.

I have the chart for this section of the river--but having no experience here I thought it'd be wise to ask!

Any help will be appreciated!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

walking your looking at about 10 minutes and just follow the trucks and shacks there is lots of ice just don't go wandering
miker
Participant
Participant

Post by miker »

I've never been out on the hard water there, and I'm not sure what gear/electronics/maps you have..but here are some maps of the area that may help:

http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewt ... hlight=map

have fun!!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

There must be lots of ice out there and the bay freezes consistent as long as you stay away from the current earlier in the season, but by now there must be lots out there . Are there any vehicles going out to the point yet ?? cheers

smitty
voltom9
Participant
Participant

Post by voltom9 »

Good luck!
I have fished that bay three times this year, morning till dusk without a nibble. I have electronics so I know there are fish below but very fussy!
voltom9
Participant
Participant

Post by voltom9 »

Good luck!
I have fished that bay three times this year, morning till dusk without a nibble. I have electronics so I know there are fish below but very fussy!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Shirley's bay

Post by CCLad »

Fishing on the bay can be tough, mostly because the bite for walleye is late and seems to be at 1 point of the day. 1/2 hour before dark and if you get one, it's a good start! For the most part the fish are coming well into dark for us this year. &&& If you don't have heated shelter.... don't even worry about what technique is used to bring them up because you need shelter to help out your fishing.
There is more than 14" of ice where the main collection of huts are situated and you will be fishing 12-14 feet of water out there.

Good luck.