May 24 fishing, looking for cottage rental advice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
rod84
Participant
Participant

May 24 fishing, looking for cottage rental advice

Post by rod84 »

I turn 30 this year and the fiancee wants to get some friends together and go to a cottage for the 24 weekend to celebrate. I told her that there must be fish in the lake with an open season and a decent boat for rent :).

Does anyone know of a spot in Ontario that they would recommend, I am looking for a lake that is not very busy, private rental or business, it does not matter to me.

I know zone 15 is open at that time, as for fish, anything I can catch and eat would be preferred, I have lead core for lakers, trolling and casting would be great as well.

Thanks a bunch
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: May 24 fishing, looking for cottage rental advice

Post by banjo »

I don't know what part of Ontario you are looking, but the Picton area is beautiful. I don't know off hand of any cottage rentals, but there's lots of lodges in that area.
kjdfish
Participant
Participant

Post by kjdfish »

Upper Rideau Resorts near Westport are very clean and private cabins.
Boat Rental from Norris Tackle and they will deliver to resort.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Wouldn't you know it, that's opening weekend for Lakers this year. :) I can highly recommend Charleston Lake for what you are looking for. That's where I'll be. The lake is still quiet that early in the season and it's a gorgeous lake with lots of areas to get out of the wind if need be. Ever since they cancelled winter fishing the Laker fishing is great. You also have Pike And Crappie available in May. If you don't know the lake I can help you out with some trolling runs.

Contact Lakeline Lodge at 613-924-9114. They manage lots of cottages. I've stayed there 3 times for the opener and it was great. The one I stayed in isn't on the website list now but might still be available. Ask for Claire de Loon. It's a drive-to in a small quiet bay with great docking. It used to be $175/day but we split 4 ways so easy to take. They won't be answering the phone right now but leave a message or send an email from their site at http://www.lakelinelodge.com/Home.html

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
freadomjp
Participant
Participant

Post by freadomjp »

Have look at this place kenebec lake aboit 2. Hrs from ottawa

www.springwoodcottages.ca/index.php?...

Nice cottages, good fishing

Good luck

J
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Charleston is no longer busy opening weekend Smitty? Wow that's a change!

Somewhere on Big Rideau would be my suggestion but I don't know of any cottages for rent. Kijiji could be your friend on that.

RJ
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

RJ wrote:Charleston is no longer busy opening weekend Smitty? Wow that's a change!RJ
I never said that Rob, did I? Compared to summertime when all the cottagers are vacationing and bass season is open, yes, the lake is much quieter. Been there, done that. Sure there is the usual crowd in bigwater and deepwater but there are lots of quiet areas. Evenings are generally totally quiet as most fishermen are day timers anyway.

As far as comparing Charleston to the Big Rideau when it comes to the quality of the lake itself, it's not a hard choice at all for me. I know you have your hot spots for jig fishing but Rod is looking for a getaway with the gals in a nice cottage. Plus, when the big rideau gets windy you are screwed for the most part unless you have a real big boat. There is always calm enough water on Charleston to fish, even for a 12 footer. Plus there is a great trail network accessible from the lake with outhouses even, to satisfy the girls if they want to do their thing you know, and then the guys can go fishing. :)
Smitty

Straight shooter
rod84
Participant
Participant

Post by rod84 »

Ha ha ha, I am looking for the getaway, it is my birthday weekend so they get to deal with my type of place :).

I was actually thinking a cottage further north with less people, like Haliburton area, nobody else is dumb enough to go up there on 24, too cold for them. :)
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I just saw your thread as I was looking at the most recent edition of Ontario Out of Doors magazine. I generally have a look at the "lodges" section of their want ads, if only to give myself something to dream about. :wink: I did see a place that kind of piqued my interest up by Bancroft.

Please note I have never been there, have no idea whatsoever if they are good people or not, but to me at least it seems like a spot worth taking a look at, and I have heard good things about Weslemkoon Lake. Anyways here is their website, and maybe they are worth investigating:

http://www.hiddencovecottageresort.com/

And if you DO go there, PLEASE send me a note afterwards and let me know what you thought, positive or negative. I am always on the prowl for new lodges to visit. THANKS!

Doug
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

http://www.tumblehomelodge.ca/ This place is the best I have ever been to. My family go every summer for 2 weeks have been going for 10 years. Owners are great they have lots of choice In cottages either your own cottage or there are attached cottages for large groups. They also have a main lodge that has apartments. Fishing is also something I have never experience before.
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

X2 on Tumblehome Lodge, Crotch Lake is awesome that time of year!! :wink: 8) 8)
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
rod84
Participant
Participant

Post by rod84 »

Tumblehome Lodge looks nice, no pets but that may be possible anyway (I don't have a dog yet but 2 other couples do, I would be ok if no dogs to worry about for a weekend).

Thanks guys
bassman
Participant
Participant

Post by bassman »

May 24 walleye spawn in this river and make their way out to nipissing, you could fish the river in bad weather or move out into the lake.

Just another option.

http://www.southriverresort.com/
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Smitty I have gone to charleston for 3 years straight on may 24 and we don't catch much at all! Usually its only pike in season, this year I would like to catch my first ever lake trout. We have one boat and I rent a canoe, usually we stay in and around the campsites, but amwilling to row for some quality fishing. If you could pm me some pointers it would be much appreciated.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

No prob tbone. I'll shoot you my number. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter